PDA

View Full Version : 50g to 180g and more.....

enzo0000
01/18/2014, 08:13 AM
Cheers everyone,

Need a good recommendation on how to go from a 50g (with 40g sump) to a new 180g (with a 100g sump).....

Currently the tank has SPS, LPS, Zoa's etc... and 4 fish...corals are growing out of control and need to upgrade. Wife's approval :)

It will be a bit of time, but would like to get everything set before i make the transition.

What i'm asking is....Do i just treat the transition as a really big water change? 90g too 280g seems a bit much? I really don't want to have to cycle the new set up as I will be using some of the equipment from the smaller tank system (lights, pump, tunze's etc..) on the new system.

Please help

Vincenzo

Mark Bianco
01/18/2014, 08:21 AM
Are you planning anything new as far as live rock or new sand if you use sand?

sjwitt
01/18/2014, 08:28 AM
You will have to cycle the new tank. I did a similar transition 55 to 185. I set the new tank up in it's permanent location after moving the 55 g to a temporary spot (beside it). My process was fill new tank, put in new sand bed, moved all live rock from 55 g and added more because it wasn't nearly enough in the bigger tank. I moved some of the corals and added some cleaners hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp (had aiptasia on LR) and let the tank cycle for a couple of weeks. When it got to the algae stage I moved my Rabbit fish over and he had a field day with all the grazing. After that, everyone else went in and I shut down the 55 g. If memory serves it took 6 weeks but I didn't loose anything.

enzo0000
01/18/2014, 08:45 AM
Are you planning anything new as far as live rock or new sand if you use sand?

Yes, I'm planning on adding more rock and sand

enzo0000
01/18/2014, 09:14 AM
You will have to cycle the new tank. I did a similar transition 55 to 185. I set the new tank up in it's permanent location after moving the 55 g to a temporary spot (beside it). My process was fill new tank, put in new sand bed, moved all live rock from 55 g and added more because it wasn't nearly enough in the bigger tank. I moved some of the corals and added some cleaners hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp (had aiptasia on LR) and let the tank cycle for a couple of weeks. When it got to the algae stage I moved my Rabbit fish over and he had a field day with all the grazing. After that, everyone else went in and I shut down the 55 g. If memory serves it took 6 weeks but I didn't loose anything.

My problem is twofold...All my LR has coral on them and i'm afraid to kill the corals by putting them in a new tank and the new LR will be dead when i purchase it.....I need most of the equipment from the old tank to put in the new tank. :headwally:

How long did you wait until you started moving your corals over?

I'm going to have to cycle dead LR in a trashcan for about 6 weeks...does anyone know if that water can be used? Think its only going to have a powerhead for waterflow from what i've read?

Anyone else have suggestions?