PDA

View Full Version : Condy and long tentacle nems??

Saltydrip
01/18/2014, 01:27 PM
When I first got started I had 2 Condys in my tank. I'm at a point now where I kinda miss them.. They were really eye catching before I had any corals to speek of. I have seen long tentacle nems for sale in the $20-$30 range and I'm curious what the difference is if any. They look about the same to me.

shifty51008
01/18/2014, 01:30 PM
LTA's are harder to keep than condy's, and will get much bigger. are you just looking for an anemone to watch or one that will associate with clowns? if you want one to go with clowns what clowns do you have?

Saltydrip
01/18/2014, 01:42 PM
I have a pair of perks. I honestly wasn't thinking of them though.. I just like the look of the long tentacle. I know it's not a hosting nem but figured I would look into them since I like the look of them and they are cheep. Lol. I had a bubble tip that wasn't doing to well after my move and gave it to my LFS and he sold it for me. I wouldn't mind one of the more brilliant colored BTAs but I'm focussing on restoring my old truck right now and I have limited hobby funds at the time.

shifty51008
01/18/2014, 01:49 PM
I would stick with condy's for now then, if you had problems with a BTA you will deff. have problems with a LTA.

davocean
01/18/2014, 01:52 PM
Neither of those are natural host nems for percs, and the condy's are not really considered host nems at all, though some clowns can and will adapt to them.
Condy's have a stronger sting than typical host nems.
Having said that your percs will probably still take to either a LTA or BTA, BTA being more forgiving.
I would take either of those two over a condy, even though I agree they do look pretty, they have more of a rep of harming fish, sometimes even clownfish.
An LTA will require a fairly deep sand bed and moderate to strong light, BTA's do not need sand and can take less light.

Saltydrip
01/18/2014, 02:00 PM
It's been a few months now since the move and my mini cycle is over. SPS and leathers are back to growing like weeds. The ability to keep one is no longer an issue. I got rid of the BTA because it was a dark green and just didn't like it so it wasn't worth setting up a hospital tank to get it threw the cycle so I sold it.

I guess what I should have asked was more about weather or not they are 1."reef safe"? 2. Do they sting corals and fish? 3. What are there feeding requirements and preferred foods?

Saltydrip
01/18/2014, 02:02 PM
I didn't realize they are a sand dwelling nem.. That changes things. I have a very shallow sandbed.

davocean
01/18/2014, 03:15 PM
Maybe try a nice RBTA when you are ready.
All nems may roam, and they will sting what they touch, and most corals will very much suffer or die, especially sps.
Does it stop me?
No way, but I've got a pretty good eye for placement and they usually stay.
Sand dwellars are much easier in doing this in a mixed reef.
While BTA's are much more forgiving in most areas, they do tend to roam more, maybe even a year down the road after staying put w/out changes or warning of any kind.
Frogspawn and hammer are great alternatives to nems for clown hosts.

Saltydrip
01/18/2014, 04:12 PM
I have a hammer and a couple leathers that they don't even look at. They never paid any attention to that GBTA either. I'm not looking for a host as much as just a new addition, it's hard having open space with no coral budget for the next 3 months!!! I keep thinking about what would fit here or there. I want more SPS but like I said... I'm building a 1970 F350 that is a bit more pricey than my tank and would love to have her together in the spring. Stupid priorities