PDA

View Full Version : can you keep frozen food in the refrigerator?

mv123
01/18/2014, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I have 4 or 5 different types of frozen food that I like to use for my reef. I tend to cycle through them over days, each day taking a cube out of the freezer, cutting it up a bit or letting it melt, and then tossing it in the tank. I was thinking that it would be nice to just take out 5 cubes, let them melt and get the liquid off, then keep the resulting mix in the fridge. This way, I can feed a bit of this mix each day, giving the fish a more varied daily diet. Also, it will save the daily hassle of rinsing, melting, or cutting up the cubes.

Does anyone do anything like this? Any idea how long is reasonable to keep the previously frozen food in the fridge? Human food could stay in the fridge for up to a week easily, so is there any reason why fish food could not do the same?

Thanks!

d2mini
01/18/2014, 03:08 PM
Yes, i usually have some in the fridge for a day or two. Longer should be fine.

rogersb
01/18/2014, 06:10 PM
I have an ice cube tray I fill with tank water and cut up cubes and place pieces in the cubes. I use 4 or 5 different frozen items and also put some pellets in each cube. I figure this way each cube/feeding has something for all the fish. I then throw it back in the freezer. Keeps enough food for a week or so.

Irishdolphin
01/19/2014, 12:25 PM
I have an ice cube tray I fill with tank water and cut up cubes and place pieces in the cubes. I use 4 or 5 different frozen items and also put some pellets in each cube. I figure this way each cube/feeding has something for all the fish. I then throw it back in the freezer. Keeps enough food for a week or so.

Good idea that I never thought of. Will be giving it a try :beer:

ca1ore
01/19/2014, 12:39 PM
Thawed fish food will last in the fridge for a week, no problem.

syrinx
01/19/2014, 12:57 PM
For human use- fresh shrimp should not be refrigerated for more than two days. Shrimp that has been thawed and then refrigerated has a shorter window before it starts to decompose. I would not use food that had been thawed and refrigerated after a day or two. Unless one has done a bacterial culture, one cannot assume that it is safe. The true answer will be given by contacting the manufacturer of the food- they have the ability to do these tests.

Rybren
01/19/2014, 02:27 PM
I place 4 or 5 cubes of different types of frozen foods in a jar with tank water and keep it in the fridge. The mixture gets fed to the tank over the course of 3 or 4 days. Hasn't been an issue in the 4 years that I've been feeding this way.

H.reidi.MN
01/19/2014, 03:00 PM
I did something similar when I went ony honeymoon. For my little brother I used weekly medication planners with days of the week. Mixed all the food a.d filled each one then re froze. Then he just had the thaw that day the day before and so on and feed the tank with a baster. Then I had the same for dry food and he alternated days. The day he fed dry he thawed frozen.. I usually mix a few cubes at once and leave in the fridge for 2-3 days worth of feeding.