PDA

View Full Version : Sump tank build

thenewguy997
01/19/2014, 08:44 AM
Tips on building my sump tank?

I had a 15g, shown below, 2 chambered that works well. But i cant fit a refuge.

So i bought a 29g on sale at petco, will it work as a 3 chamber sump?

Im going to put chaeto in the middle i think, any tips on how far to set the baffles apart?

The 29g is 30" long by 18h so im thinking 10 inches for each chamber?

My 15g is 24L by 12H and the return chamber was 15" long and works fine so wouldnt 10" long by 18" high as a return chamber be enough to not cause an overflow in power outage in my 29g?

both tanks are the same width. 1st chamber will be intake/skimmer, 2nd chamber refuge, 3rd return. ive heard some ppl say put refuge last what is the benefit of that?

heres pics to help demonstrate, i used a flashlight and pillow as a crude display of baffles that are 10" apart lol :spin3:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/gatoralley01/tank_zpsfb8f4c55.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l228/gatoralley01/baffle_zps6eeb517b.jpg

yagesz
01/19/2014, 08:53 AM
Either tank will work so long as you customize right.

If you are not putting a Skimmer on the the build i would minimize the drain area followed by bubble trap. Maybe 6". Return area i would say 10" And the middle be everything left over.

I personally am going to use PVC pipes to make a drain/bubble trap out of 3 tubes to minimize that area. Then have a full size refugium area. with a 6" return area. BTW this is all in a 10gallone that I will build.

thenewguy997
01/19/2014, 08:57 AM
Either tank will work so long as you customize right.

If you are not putting a Skimmer on the the build i would minimize the drain area followed by bubble trap. Maybe 6". Return area i would say 10" And the middle be everything left over.

I personally am going to use PVC pipes to make a drain/bubble trap out of 3 tubes to minimize that area. Then have a full size refugium area. with a 6" return area. BTW this is all in a 10gallone that I will build.

That is what i would like to do.. MAX the refuge area... but i need a skimmer for the livestock i want and i really dont want a hang on

yagesz
01/19/2014, 09:34 AM
Leave as is like i just suggested.

Install Skimmer in Refuge part and drain to the drain area.

if you are using sand or mud in the refuge try to set the skimmer up on a egg crate stand so that it is out of the way. Just drain the water back to the drain area.

thenewguy997
01/19/2014, 09:36 AM
Leave as is like i just suggested.

Install Skimmer in Refuge part and drain to the drain area.

if you are using sand or mud in the refuge try to set the skimmer up on a egg crate stand so that it is out of the way. Just drain the water back to the drain area.

you can put the skimmer in the refuge? didnt kno that. i need to eggcrate it anyways bc its 18" tall tank

yagesz
01/19/2014, 10:44 AM
Yes you can. Just keep it out of the way of things in the refuge