PDA

View Full Version : Can my sump just be a bafleless tank?

StaySalty
01/19/2014, 02:58 PM
Anyone with a corner tank knows how much of a pain it is to do any maintenance in the cabinet if you don't have something custom made. I have a 92 corner and I've just about had with my sump(not custom made lol). I don't think I can remove my skimmer without draining and removing the whole thing. I'm seriously considering just removing the it (I think about 15-20 gallons) and throwing a standard 10 gallon tank under there. I'm pretty sure this would provide enough space to accommodate the things I use(skimmer, return, and occasionally brs media reactor pump) and it would make it so much easier to take things out if need be.

The 10 gallon tank wont have any baffles and therefore won't have that confined one way movement. Is this really detrimental at all? Will any skimmer I use be less efficient because of this? Or are there any other disadvantages with switching to a sump with no baffles?

edit: I will be installing an ATO to maintain water level

SGT_York
01/19/2014, 03:27 PM
Most skimmer's need constant water height to be set.

If you have a good ATO it won't be an issue.

Side note I had an old corner tank long ago and used two tanks, to make an L shape that fit into the stand much nicer. The smaller tank gravity drained into the larger.

cloak
01/19/2014, 03:33 PM
None of the sumps I've ever had had any baffles in them. Here's an older picture of the 10 gallon sump I currently have underneath my 20 gallon tank. Just a skimmer, a heater, a return pump, a few pieces of live rock, and a float valve. (ATO) Works like a charm.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w16/jAb83_2007/eshoppsskimmer_zpsee01e950.jpg (http://s172.photobucket.com/user/jAb83_2007/media/eshoppsskimmer_zpsee01e950.jpg.html)

syrinx
01/19/2014, 03:39 PM
I have a few sumps without baffles- never a problem for me.

StaySalty
01/19/2014, 04:23 PM
Awesome. This is really good news. SGT York, that is a fantastic idea! I cant believe I didn't think of that! That's something I'm seriously gonna consider. I'm not quite sure how I would get one tank to grav feed into the other. Did u just prop up one tank on something and install a gate valve kind of thing?

ca1ore
01/19/2014, 10:31 PM
Baffle-less sumps work fine, have done it a bunch of times. All things being equal, a single sump reservoir is easier and less complex, so less likely to go wrong, but gravity feeding one sump into another is quite viable.