PDA

View Full Version : Have razors want radions, should I?

Strobes
01/19/2014, 05:52 PM
Ok so I have a 210 fowlr setup. Right now I have 2 27" max spect razors 160w 16ks. I have no complaints and love the look. I upgraded to this tank from a 75 and had thoughts of turning the 75 into a reef setup. After thinking about it I'm not ready for the maintenance of two large tanks and I'd be a newb to the reef world. Maybe someday! However I got a good deal on 2, gen 2 radions and since I was planning the reef I couldn't pass them up. So the more I read about radions the more I like them. Link able to my mp40s, lightning storms and cloud cover. They just seem to be the coolest light around. My question is to you guys that have run both or either or. I'm thinking about selling my razors and buying a 3rd radion for the 210. Kinda torn and they're worth prolly close to $1000 I could put towards something else but I still have the itch to get another and try them. I was hoping I could get Around 650-700$ for the razors which would fund another radion and hanging kits for them. I guess I just thought I'd see if you guys think it'd be worth it to switch them over. If I needed anything else for the tank I'd just sell them to fund that but I've got a sump/fuge setup, Octopus skimmer, nice return pump,nice ago setup, plenty of LR. The one thing I don't have is an rodi setup but that I can afford shortly.
Thanks ahead for any input. This is my first post here. Normally on the local forums but I'm thinking I'll get a lot more feedback here.

rich850
01/19/2014, 06:03 PM
It really depends on what your intention for the reef is personally I like the looks of both for an sps tank I like the razor for a mixed reef,zoanthid tank,lps tank,softies,etc I like the radion. I own a gen 2 which is on an lps and zoa tank. I want to get some razors for my sps only tank.

Strobes
01/19/2014, 06:27 PM
Yea I'm guessing that's what everyone will say since it's not even a reef tank. No need to upgrade really was just wondering if u guys like the radion functions/programmability better.

evolutionZ
01/19/2014, 08:58 PM
Not as good as the razor. Unless you're going for the pro

Strobes
01/19/2014, 09:51 PM
Really? Never heard that before. Everything I've read is basically get the razor if u can't afford the radions. Why do you think the razor is better?

mpierce
01/20/2014, 11:58 AM
I assume because of the 410/420 nm spectrum. The new radions have that however.

sfsuphysics
01/20/2014, 01:38 PM
Link able to my mp40s, lightning storms and cloud cover.

If that's what you want, then go for it. If it's simply a neat feature that you may or may not use, I'd say don't do it.

For me cloud cover is not something I'd care terribly much about, and the lightning storms? Eh... over rated for me. But then again we're not talking about what *I* would want, but what you want :)

But from what you mentioned, RO/DI would be on the list of things to get before you even setup a tank (especially one of that size where picking up water is not very practical). So honest answer advice? RO/DI before changing from the lighting that works perfectly fine, to one that will give you a few bells and whistles.

Strobes
01/20/2014, 07:25 PM
I know I need an RO system. I have one for drinkin water but need a separate one for the tank. But like I said I can get one without selling the radions. The one thing I don't like about the razors is that I have them on their preset program. But one is an older model and has a little different schedule so at sunrise and sunset one side is brighter than the other but that could be changed fairly easily by setting my own program. Have any of you guys run both? Seems like everyone with the radions swear by them and the people who haven't had them think they're a waste of money. Just like the vortech powerheads. And I can attest to just how much better those are than others and I'd say it was completely worth the investment. Idk keep the opinions coming guys

Strobes
01/20/2014, 07:28 PM
The other option is selling a radion and getting another mp40. I thought 1 with a couple koralias would be sufficient in the 210 but I've been reading a lot of guys run 2 and some even run 2 mp60s. Seems like overkill for me tho as I don't have corals that need a lot of current. Just a fowlr

Strobes
01/21/2014, 08:24 PM
More opinions!!!

Dmoody
01/21/2014, 09:14 PM
Do it. I just bought a radion G3 for my soft coral nuvo.

raybyrne67
01/21/2014, 09:17 PM
Good lighting and flow are a must for a reef aquarium especially if your are planning for SPS corals. I own both the radion gen2 xr30w and vortech pumps and as of now they are working well on my mixed reef. The lights have a lot of functionality but what I like best, is seeing healthy colorful corals. The pumps have a variety of programs that when used together (2 or more) put out strong random flow throughout the tank. Remember good lights and flow are only part of what is needed for a reef tank, you can't forget about water quality.

Dmoody
01/21/2014, 09:19 PM
Don't dump the mp40 BTW just keep it. Cleaner than multiple koralias

Strobes
01/22/2014, 12:55 PM
Oh no I didn't mean I was going to get rid of my mp40. I love it! If anything I'd sell a light and get another one. I'm not sure I need 2 tho for a fowlr

Strobes
01/25/2014, 09:17 PM
Anyone else?

Strobes
02/06/2014, 05:40 PM
anyone out there whos had both? still debating

klwheat
02/06/2014, 08:08 PM
The other option is selling a radion and getting another mp40. I thought 1 with a couple koralias would be sufficient in the 210 but I've been reading a lot of guys run 2 and some even run 2 mp60s. Seems like overkill for me tho as I don't have corals that need a lot of current. Just a fowlr

I have radions over both my 90 reef, and 210 fowlr. I love the configurability and the look. I have vortechs on my reef and "cheap" jebao pumps on my fowlr. You could add one wp60 to your 210 and have PLENTY of flow.

liquidPentium
02/06/2014, 09:44 PM
I just got 3 Radion Pro G3s and all I can cay is wow! I had AIs for years but love the radions. Its been a week but my coral is responding really well to the radions. Especially my SPS.

DSPs
02/08/2014, 02:21 AM
Oh no doubt go Radion! That's the only led I would use and I'm gunna use it on my new build after seeing what they can do in person,Iv seem amazing results!