PDA

View Full Version : Identification of night time tentacle things

ltkenbo
01/19/2014, 06:35 PM
At night in my tank of course different things come out, but lately I have noticed a lot of these weird single tentacle things (not brittle starfish) in the rocks.

They have this long tentacle that kind of looks like a long piece of snot but it waves around and retracts and gets longer in the current (it's not mucus from a vermetid snail either) kind of like a bungie cord waving around. I don't have a pic of one right now but I might be able to get one tonight.

Anyone have any idea from my description what this could be?

markalot
01/19/2014, 06:39 PM
Digitate hyrdoids?

Sugar Magnolia
01/19/2014, 06:39 PM
Sounds like a digitate hydroid.

ltkenbo
01/19/2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah I looked that up and it looks like mine. How do I get rid of them individually at least? I think that is what has been bothering one of my small zoa frags. They can sting them right?

oscarinw
01/19/2014, 06:52 PM
They are bad news.
Here's my experience with the guys:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339798&page=1

dmh41532
01/19/2014, 07:43 PM
they are bad news. I had an issue with them for a little while, yes, they can sting your corals. Honestly, I really don't know an effective way to deal with them. I tried to pull them out with tweezers and that didn't work, one day, they just started to disappear. Around that time, I added three berghia nudibranchs, though I doubt there's a correlation.