PDA

View Full Version : Building your OWN stand for maybe 125 or 150 Gallon tank

murphdog
01/19/2014, 06:46 PM
Any suggestions on how to build this or any designs that work well?

yagesz
01/19/2014, 06:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

That thread will tell you everything you need to know. Size lumber. How to prep cuts. You can differ from it but in the end its a pretty simple solid build. I just used this exact thread to build a 40 breeder

Pife
01/19/2014, 07:59 PM
Great thread. I used it to build my 250dd and it worked great. Take you time while picking out lumber.

eacosta
01/20/2014, 09:24 AM
I would recommend using a table saw. I used a circular saw and the smallest error can throw you off a little. I had to follow up with a plane to shave off a little wood to make it completely level.

yagesz
01/20/2014, 09:33 AM
I did mine with a circular saw. I agree my cuts came off a little bit.

dkeller_nc
01/20/2014, 10:11 AM
A couple of tips:

Don't build your tank stand until you have the tank, particularly if it's a custom build rather than a standard size from AGA, Marineland, etc... Small dimension differences between as-ordered and as-built can cause you a lot of grief.

If you don't have a table saw, and wish to use a circular saw for cutting panels, buy a track guide and a large square. These are relatively inexpensive (less than $100) and available from Woodcraft and other woodworking retailers. The track guide will give you absolutely straight cuts, but do not depend on the clamps on either end to fix your guide at 90 degrees to a plywood edge (that's what the square's for).