PDA

View Full Version : Flared Gills in baby clownfish "True Percs"

mwilliams62
01/20/2014, 09:17 AM
I have been reading several different forums from some very old post and they have many different reasoning’s that cause flared gills.
From quality of food being fed to the baby clownfish.
Poor culling. Which I am assuming this has something to do with the rotifers.
How does a person do “Poor Culling”?
Genetic
Injury. What type of injury could cause “flared gills”?
Water quality.

The reason why I am asking this is because I have found 3 out of 15 baby clownfish “True Perc” that I just put up for sale from my one and only batch that has made it so far. I still have eighteen babies that are still a little too small to be put up for sale. I am waiting for them to get at least ¾” to 1” before I will sale them.
They were born back in June - 2013.

Isn’t there a medication for Flared Gills?

woods4542000
01/20/2014, 11:00 AM
I've always heard diet, and water quality.

mwilliams62
01/20/2014, 03:15 PM
Well they get fed Reed Nutrition food only. Except when they were fry they got Rotifers & RG Complete for the first week possibly 2nd week as well then I went to the TDO A stayed on that for a month then went to TDO - B1 for several months then went to TDO B2 been on that till I finally got my order for the other TDO's foods. TDO - C1 & C2.
Water was from the parents tank for about the first 1month then freshly mixed saltwater.

mbingha
01/20/2014, 03:19 PM
There's no medication for flared gills. Once they have it, it's there for life. I have one that I bought 3 years ago with a flared gill because that's the one my wife picked and he's perfectly healthy otherwise. If it is bad enough it can cause them difficulty"breathing".

temper76
01/21/2014, 04:06 AM
Culling is a nice word for killing the fish, ending it's life because of its defects , you don't want to sell those you want the best to come out of your project.a easy way of culling is put fish in a bowl place it in the freezer and as temp drop the go to sleep or hit it with a hammer quick and painless it's better than flushing in the toilet they'll live for a few minutes like that. Or see who is willing to care for it if is not that bad. Flared gills come from poor water quality, ammonia burn, or heavy chemical can damage the gull plates or from inbreeding to much gills plates come out shower and exposes the inside it's like a gap.

mwilliams62
01/21/2014, 07:58 AM
Omg I feel really stupid I thought that culling was the word they used for what you do with the rotifers. before you feed them to the fry...
Inbreeding makes sense as well because I have a funny feeling that my pair maybe brother and sister but I could be wrong. When I bought them as juveniles they were in one tank at the LFS.

temper76
01/24/2014, 08:55 AM
It's OK man we are here to learn collecting rotifers is call harvest like collecting crops or shaving .Most picasso are related from ora the question is how far down they been inbred.some breeder fix that problem introducing a wild cought into the "domestic " picasso makes them "F1 generation meaning the parents of 1 generation not related now if you bond the f1 and have offsprings they become f2 and so on you can mix inbred down to f5 after that it's when they start looking funky

mwilliams62
01/24/2014, 10:25 AM
It probably was the water. But for the first month I religiously cleaned their tank out every day but once I started using the freshsalter mix I got lazy and did not change it as often as I did when I was using the broodstock water.

Okay we know that snowflakes, phantoms, black ice are known as A. Ocellaris I guess that is the scientific name for them but what is the scientific name for True Percula?
I just saw that the Picasso’s are in the Percula family so if I were to swap out my male true percula and put in a Picasso with her would I be running into deformities?

If I do swap him out would this help with the batches as well? Because by the time it is hatch night I might be lucky to have 50-75 eggs left if even that much.

shifty51008
01/24/2014, 04:47 PM
Scientific name for a true perc is Amphiprion percula

mwilliams62
01/24/2014, 04:58 PM
thank you