PDA

View Full Version : Nassarius snails hiding

PirateToast
01/20/2014, 09:40 AM
So i've had nassarius snails for a few weeks now and normall they always come out around feeding time. Last week I added some much brighter new lights and have noticed a bit of a cyano outbreak. I also added a mystery wrasse.

Could any of these things be scaring the snails into hiding? I see their little trunks sticking up still.

snorvich
01/20/2014, 09:56 AM
when you feed, they will come out. no issue with them and lighting

harobikes1988
01/20/2014, 10:07 AM
mine use to be like that to now they only come out after lights out I think its from my wrasse picking at them so they out smarted him by waiting for him to go to bed lol

HumbleFish
01/20/2014, 10:14 AM
In my fishless frag tank, they will come out anytime food hits the water.

In my main tank, they only come out after the lights go off, and the Mel wrasse has gone to bed.

Coincidence? I think not.

snorvich
01/20/2014, 10:37 AM
In my fishless frag tank, they will come out anytime food hits the water.

In my main tank, they only come out after the lights go off, and the Mel wrasse has gone to bed.

Coincidence? I think not.

So, would you go swimming with a predator in the water? I think not.

Deberber
01/20/2014, 10:49 AM
I can go 3 weeks without seeing mine.

robotman
01/20/2014, 11:54 AM
Idk if they can climb rocks because I don't see any of the 40 ive added sinc eive had my tank except one that has grown quite large lol, I do see about 6-7 shells near the pistols hole.

Gopilosaurus
01/20/2014, 12:37 PM
I see mine on the rocks and glass, but only after lights out. I was like finding where the little trunks are in the morning :)

gam3ovr
01/20/2014, 12:40 PM
Mine are active all day - only fish in the tank are two PJ Cardinals though and they don't bother anyone.

Sugar Magnolia
01/20/2014, 01:38 PM
Definitely a tasty snack for the mystery wrasse.

Deberber
01/20/2014, 01:38 PM
Speaking of pajama, just picked one up.

PirateToast
01/20/2014, 01:44 PM
Gah, well I'm dumb. I also had a few cerith snails... now I just have empty cerith snail shells everywhere. I'm guessing the mystery wrasse made quick work of them.

I also have a terrible cyanobacteria bloom that happened in the past couple days... let me run this theory by everyone:

THEORY: The mystery wrasse was introduced ate the dumb ceriths and the smarter/larger nassarius snails are in hiding. Without these snails running about, they weren't eating the leftover food as efficiently. So... cyano outbreak.

Is this possibly what happened? If so, what kind of clean up crew can I add that the wrasse will leave alone? Larger snails? Hermits? My tank is hideous with cyano right now!

EDIT: Snorvich, definitely interested in hearing what you think!'

EDIT2: I guess it's a diatom bloom, not cyano.

PirateToast
01/20/2014, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions on mystery wrasse safe CUC members?