PDA

View Full Version : DSB safe CUC

bwhite33
01/20/2014, 06:30 PM
recently posted in "New to Hobby" but thought this might get different folks to chime in.

Greetings,

I'm looking for a DSB safe cleanup crew. I don't want critters that would eat the beneficial critters out of the sand. The jawfish and the goby/shrimp are the main reasons for the tank. I am willing to be patient to let the DSB mature fully.

This is the planned setup:

75 gallon 36X20X24, 6 inches of sand, with one triangular (10x10x10) ceramic ledge held up by a leg/pillar on each corner of the ledge. This ledge would be about 9 inches from the water surface. Other ceramic rock-scaping, low grotto type, to divide up the tank area and provide hiding areas

Planned stocking: (I ran the tank stocking by Steve in the beginners thread.)
- Bonded pair of Randall Shrimp Gobies, with shrimp
- Bonded pair Chinstrap Jawfish
- Sun Corals under the ledge (more in the shade)
- Squamosa Clam on the ledge if feasible to do this, using an LED pendant)
- 1 Yellow Assessor(s)
- 1 Pygmy Wrasse
- Maybe an Orchid Dottyback

The sump would be a skimmer, reactor, ATO; a non-refugium style sump. If possible this is where I want almost all of the filtering to be done.

I am planning to have a macro algae/sea-grass refugium that can overflow into the DT, being fed from the sump. I was thinking a 36X13X16 30 gal or so.
I would love the refugium to really be able to help the pod population.

Thanks,

bryan

bwhite33
01/22/2014, 02:41 PM
Other than Nassarius snails and serpent star(s) any other advice? Are these the only critters that don't eat micro-fauna?

Thanks

cloak
01/22/2014, 02:53 PM
You could just use your finger, a stick, or a small powerhead to stir up the top layer of the DSB on occasion. Preferably right before a water change. Nassarius snails and a serpent star might be cool & all, but your much more efficient at turning the substrate over in the long run. Plus, you don't poop in the tank. ;) GL.

downbeach
01/22/2014, 03:29 PM
I have a couple Conch's, and about a dozen Cerith snails in the sand bed. I used this (http://www.ipsf.com/livesand.html) to activate, and give it a booster shot every few years, along with this (http://www.ipsf.com/reefworms.html).

bwhite33
01/22/2014, 03:55 PM
downbeach: thanks

cloak: whoops! :-)