PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor Redbug

rsaha
01/20/2014, 09:14 PM
I buried this in my build thread but thought I'd post a thread people could find in the future.

This is a not bad picture of what redbugs look like through the macro lens of a camera. They are the little yellow things with red dots at one end.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/12042532085_35d6d6fd32_b.jpg

I have redbugs. I am in Canada so getting Interceptor is relatively easy. Just go to the vet and ask nice still works.

I also found this link that suggests it is back in production in the US http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Parasitology+Center/Sentinel-Flavor-Tabs-reintroduced-to-veterinary-ma/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/810830?contextCategoryId=45703

You want to get the large dog pills for 51-100 lb dogs. These pills contain 23mg of milbemycin oxime. One pill doses 380 gallons of total aquarium water volume although many report no ill effects from over dosing. Before dosing you are supposed to stop your carbon/gfo and disconnect the air intake from your skimmer but leave it running. I used a full half pill for my 120ish gallon system. I cut the pill in half with a razor and ground it to powder with the back of a spoon. I tried to dissolve it into a cup of tank water but it did not dissolve fully. I assumed that it would eventually dissolve if introduced to the aquarium I also did run my gfo reactor long enough to cycle the water through it (medicated water) to make sure there were no redbugs left alive in the gfo reactor to repopulate.

I ran the Interceptor for 24 hours and then put 1 cup of fresh carbon into the reactor, did a 15 percent water change and reconnected the air inlet on my skimmer. After 24 hours of carbon I replaced the carbon in the filter (1 cup again). I will put the gfo back on line 48 hours after the end of the first treatment and remove the carbon from the system.

As warned all my crabs and shrimp died. I didn't have a ton so not the end of the world. Everything else appears to be fine. Snails, fish, corals and starfish were apparently unaffected. I have not yet seen my cucumber.

I cannot find any sign of the redbugs. I will be repeating the treatment after 7 days and again 7 days after that (three treatments one week apart) as recommended and will continue to report in hopes of providing a successful guide to eliminating redbugs. Some people have reported success after a single treatment and some have reported success after two treatments but others have noted a resurgence of redbugs when not completing the full course.

I have also heard of dramatic improvements of PE and colour and will post photos if I see any marked short term improvement.

rsaha
01/29/2014, 08:39 PM
I'm done with the 2nd dose. I went with a dose more in line with the 380 gallon per 23mg (1/3 of a pill) and I dumped the mixture into my sump rather than directly into the tank.

I have one emerald crab still hanging on. SPS and snails doing fine. I was a little slow with the water change and carbon. I turned the carbon on after 24 hours but didn't get to the water change and carbon refresh until the 48 hour mark. My LPS (duncan and australian elegance) were badly retracted. Today (48 hours after the water change and carbon refresh) the duncan is out again but the elegance is still not fully inflated. Fish are fine. No sign of redbugs anywhere.

I'm not seeing any improvement in polyp extension or colour though.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:37 PM
I know no one has responded to this but I personally appreciate you taking the time to do an in depth analysis of what is going on in your tank during the treatment. I am in the early stages of introducing corals to my tank so the unfortunate chance of getting them exists. I will be bookmarking this page and following for further updates should I ever run into an issue of my own.

Thank you! And I hope all of your corals survive!

bnaef17
01/29/2014, 11:30 PM
Good write up. Thanks for the info.

campos
01/29/2014, 11:39 PM
Have you found your cucumber yet?

DSPs
01/29/2014, 11:52 PM
I treated my last tank with 5 year old interceptor and it worked great so let it be known interceptor Atleast up to 5 years old still works lol, It probally killed every pod in my system as well I had to siphon out so many piles of pods

lrs183
01/29/2014, 11:59 PM
I treated my last tank with 5 year old interceptor and it worked great so let it be known interceptor Atleast up to 5 years old still works lol, It probally killed every pod in my system as well I had to siphon out so many piles of pods

Piles of pods, haha

DSPs
01/30/2014, 12:05 AM
Lol

rsaha
02/03/2014, 07:20 PM
I know no one has responded to this but I personally appreciate you taking the time to do an in depth analysis of what is going on in your tank during the treatment. I am in the early stages of introducing corals to my tank so the unfortunate chance of getting them exists. I will be bookmarking this page and following for further updates should I ever run into an issue of my own.

Thank you! And I hope all of your corals survive!

You are very welcome.

I have found my cucumber. Thanks. No sign of pods, that's for sure. I have completed my 3rd treatment and am on my second day of carbon. My one tough emerald survived. No other crustaceans to be seen.

Again, my LPS were not terrifically happy during this treatment. My Australian Elegance, in particular, wasn't very happy at all after the third dose. They do seem to be bouncing back though.

As far as colour and polyp extension, so far it's a mixed bag. Some are exhibiting better polyp extension but some not. I have one acro, in particular, that now has great polyp extension and is starting to go from a white to a baby blue. Can't wait to see what happens with that.

For the 2nd and 3rd treatments I used 1/3 of a 23mg dose, a bit stronger than minimum recommended dose. I ran 1.5 cups of carbon after 24 hours each time. After 24 hours of carbon I refreshed the carbon again with 1.5 cups. I was worried that using this much carbon in a carbon free system might cause problems but it hasn't seemed to have any adverse effect (yet). I will run carbon for a couple more days and then pull it out and put the GFO back online.

In a couple weeks I will add a few test hermits and report back on how they do. So far, so good.

rsaha
03/02/2014, 11:19 AM
It's been about 3 weeks since I completed the treatment. Growth and colour are picking up nicely. I put a few small pieces of live rock in the sump to attempt to recolonize my pod population but haven't added any hermits back in. I'm actually seeing an explosion of small snails in the tank - suspect the hermits were keeping them in balance.

The LPS are perked back up as well. My elegance is almost back to full size. All in all not so scary, no sign of redbugs and the overall health of the tank seems to be on the rise.

Unless something bad happens I suspect I won't be back to add to this thread.

JoelA7
03/02/2014, 10:11 PM
Thank you for the posts.

larrysmith75
03/06/2014, 10:48 AM
Can Sentinel be used in place of interceptor? It claims to have the same ingredient (milbemycin oxime).

rsaha
03/09/2014, 07:15 PM
I think there is an additional ingredient that is supposed to be safe but I would do some research to be absolutely sure.

I hope this thread helps folks out. It really is an easy cure - just decimated your crustaceans.