PDA

View Full Version : 29 gallon biocube for seahorses?

Ranlexus
01/20/2014, 09:29 PM
Picking up a 29 gallon biocube off Craigslist talked the owner down to 65 bucks lol.

Now I'm main concern is I want to and would like to start a seahorse tank would this be a good size set up?

JLynn
01/21/2014, 06:11 AM
This would be fine for a pair of seahorses, yes! You will need to cover up the intake to the filtration chambers so that the 'horses don't hitch on the bars and get wounded, though. Also, invest in a good, overrated skimmer, since 29 gallons is the minimum recommended for a pair of seahorses- they are quite messy. If you haven't already, check out the articles on seahorse.org and fusedjaw.com for info on basic seahorse care!

rayjay
01/21/2014, 09:13 AM
You may have to modify the aquarium somewhat because these self contained aquarium set ups are often too warm for proper seahorse care.
Recommended temperature range is 68° to 74°F but the lighting and the often totally covered tops of these aquariums make it hard to accomplish.
I'm not fond of covered aquariums anyway as it makes for less gas exchange, often leading to low pH.

madeyemary
01/21/2014, 12:39 PM
I have my horsies in a 29 gallon biocube! The lid is off so I have my own LEDs on there and the black strip along the top gone, so it has a "rimless" look. I think it's a good idea to ditch the cover; it will allow you to fit more in the back compartments, like a protein skimmer, light for the fuge, etc. Plus with the lid off, the temperature has been easy to maintain. When summer rolls around, it will also be easier to set up a fan in case the room temp goes up. It's been fine for my horsies so far, but yes, cover the intakes, whether on the tank or on any powerheads you have in there.