PDA

View Full Version : Kessils and sps

Bpb
01/21/2014, 07:31 PM
Spent a lot of time googling over the last several days trying to find as much info as I can from kessil users. I've been pretty well convinced that they're great from some positive local users. I love the look, shimmer, and coloring you can get with them, and the price point is competitive at the higher end of things. My biggest issue is I've not found a lot of sps dominant tanks with them.

I'm looking specifically at the a360 and a360w-e which was just released. Most threads I've read are people with Lps and anemone dominant tanks. Not a lot of massive sps colonies. Granted I know they're fairly new but I'm wanting to see if anyone has switched to the newer kessils and been happy. I'm considering two of the a360s to control with the apex, and possibly run a couple t5 supplements as well. Right now I have a 55 gallon but will be upgrading to a 75 or 90 in the near future.

Is the reason not many sps heavy tanks run them because they just aren't appropriate? Or are they just too new. Or perhaps are my search parameters wrong. Any experience or opinions are appreciated. Currently running all t5 but at some point in a year or so looking to upgrade to either an all led or an led/t5 hybrid system. The kessils have been so appealing. Just not enough long term success info. Looking to keep costs under $1000

Peter Eichler
01/22/2014, 06:48 AM
They're pathetically dim for SPS IME. They also tend to produce lots of shadows and dark spots in corals, which with SPS can be a problem. Unless you're willing to do multiple lights over a relatively small tank I'd suggest skipping it.

Bo0sted_Rafi
01/22/2014, 07:36 AM
Same as he said, too much shadows when you got spot light LEDs no matter the lense angle.

tannersmith2000
01/22/2014, 07:36 AM
Bpb

Maybe I can give you some feedback. I have a fully automated shallow reef tank that has the following dimensions: 4' x 3' x 8"

I have two Kessils 360W and 360WE over this tank. A couple weeks ago I had just one Kessil (360W) and it was great but had some shadowing so I got another and it was the 360WE model. I will post pics tonight of this tank. Here are some observations that I have noticed compared to three AI Vega Colors that I originally had over this tank.

The Kessils 360W/E are not a concentrated light source like my previous Vega Color fixtures. I disliked my Vegas. I seemed to burn my SPS and LPS no matter the intensity or how high above water level. It was frustrating and annoying.

Moving on

Since I made the transition to the Kessil 360W, my corals have regained their colors and are thriving. I have a mix of gorgonians, SPS, LPS, and zoas. It's a "frag" tank but looks more like a reef tank. The 360WE is 15% brighter so I have moved my SPS to this side of the tank. I have my Kessils positioned approx 10" above water level and I am running 100% intensity and at about 14-15K. The Kessils have a true UV spectrum that rivals none other.

I am getting full poly extension and EVERY single coral is thriving. I am not getting any burning whatsoever.

It's a very evenly distributed light source and works awesome on my shallow reef.

If the 360W were used on a deep tank, I couldn't give accurate advice as my tank is only 8" deep. Look for posted pics this evening

tannersmith2000
01/22/2014, 07:40 AM
Same as he said, too much shadows when you got spot light LEDs no matter the lense angle.

If using one Kessil, then yes you will have some shadowing but if you use two or more, shadowing is reduced 10 fold.

RedStangGA
01/22/2014, 07:44 AM
I think it would help the OP if people posted which Kessil units they had, how long they had them, and what size tank they were on like Tanner did.

Bpb
01/22/2014, 10:15 AM
I look forward to seeing some pics. I was planning on two a360WE units for my 55 gallon. I have mainly sps so I was hoping those would be adequate. Also considering BML if I decide not to go with kessils. Only one person I know so far has given a review of the new E series kessils as a direct upgrade from the standard a360 units. I've read that kessils appear dimmer and cannot be accurately measured with a par meter because the true sub 400nm uv causes par meters to read I accurately. Any truth to that?

I welcome all opinions of course, but really looking for users with experience with these units more than just reading the specs and saying they look like they'd be too weak. Love to hear more. Do they bring out the warm colors enough? There's not a lot of info on what actual spectrums are used specifically on each tiny led in the dense matrix. Looks like cool whites, royal blues, and uv on the close ups I've seen.

1MP3R1AL
01/22/2014, 11:22 AM
I have a 20x20x10 shallow rimless mixed reef. I picked up 1 360we 2 weeks ago, and noticed a huge difference in polyp extension on both Paly's and zoas. I had a AI sol tuned to about 50%. The AI doesn't have neutral white, but rather cool white LEDs and I blame this due to the entire tank lack of color. Within 2 hours of the Kessil being on around 40% intensity, and 30% color I noticed polyp extension which I have never seen before. In 2 weeks I noticed everything in the tank start to color back up. Acros, birdsnest, everything is doing a ton better.

Surface agitation can really produce serious amounts of shimmering in your tank, so if that's not your thing definitely reduce it. Shadowing is expected from this light since it is a single source. After a few days I moved some corals around so they would get the appropriate amount of lighting needed to thrive and I couldn't be happier. I like the shadowing, the fish even leave a shadow on the sand.

All in all I couldn't be happier.

Bobf216
01/22/2014, 12:34 PM
I have a Kessil A350W over my 40 breeder. supplemented with a blue plus and a coral plus 39w t5. I have alot of sps frags in my tank that are starting to really grow rapidly. They appear dim but they are very powerful. i bleached running at 100%. I run the blue at 100% and the white at 40% the A360we came out a year after i got mine. i would love to control the spectrum and intensity seperatly becasue i like a 14k look. My colors are pretty impressive as well. The shadowing effect makes this light look so close to diving in a real reef.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/rfiala/photo2-4.png

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk2/rfiala/photo1-4.png

This is roughly 3 months between pictures

Bo0sted_Rafi
01/22/2014, 01:03 PM
thats correct tanner, if you use more than one you can fix the shadow problem.

psykobowler
01/22/2014, 05:31 PM
They're pathetically dim for SPS IME. They also tend to produce lots of shadows and dark spots in corals, which with SPS can be a problem. Unless you're willing to do multiple lights over a relatively small tank I'd suggest skipping it.

I completely agree with peter. Any tank that is 24" high it is pathetically dim especially for sps. I ended up replacing it with AI hydra 52s. The kessil a360w works well in anything shallow and flat such as a frag tank but I would not trust it as the sole lighting. I would use it in conjunction with t5s or halides. They are so small that you would have flexibility with using other lighting along with it.

Glenn

Ssteve
01/22/2014, 07:53 PM
Here's a 290g thats done VERY well with some a350w's... Im running two 350's and two 39w T5's over a 60g and love the setup get rid of all the shadow issues as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2126138

Bpb
01/23/2014, 12:44 PM
Wow! That's like one of the best tanks I've ever seen. Those stunner strips ad a ton to warming up the colors though

Ssteve
01/23/2014, 01:01 PM
That's a easy addition though, and one that doesnt "need" to be done right away. Buy the kessils, get the tank acclimated for a few months, and when you have time and money throw a strip or two at them.

robert s b.
01/24/2014, 02:31 AM
You cant go wrong with the Kessils especially for the price point. I run 3 A360w's on my 300 Gallon DD supplemented with T5's. I don't know what people are talking about how pathetically dim they are. They are plenty bright, I never have mine above 70%. I am getting great growth.

Bpb
01/24/2014, 08:24 AM
Tank looks fantastic Robert. These are the kinds of reviews I was looking for. It seems supplementing isn't necessary from a par standpoint but helps with shadowing. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I actually stumbled on some info that laid out what color temp diodes they're using. Don't know how accurate it is. Stated its a mix of 450nm royal blue, 470 nm blue, 395 nm UV, and 6500k neutral whites. The neutral white makes me happy because I believe it just makes more sense as a diode color than cool whites do. Just my opinion. People complain about a lack of green or red specifically, but I can always supplement if necessary, plus the neutral whites should provide those spectrums anyway. Keep the reviews and pictures coming. Both negative and positive.

psykobowler
01/24/2014, 11:53 AM
You will not find any sps dominated tanks with kessils alone. I dare you too. Try using them exclusively for 3 to 4 months and let me know if it does not brown out your acroporas. They do fine on mixed reef with some montiporas, lps and softies but not on intense light loving acroporas. There is a reason why reefers with sps dominated (mostly acroporas) tanks still use halides and t5s. They work. Look at my tank below. There are 3 AI hydra 52 in the middle. The ends have the newest kessil a360w e series. See how dim the ends are with kessils at full blast? Now try using just the kessil without any other lighting and tell me if the acropora with be better off. I am just waiting for the remaining hydra 52s to come in and I will remove the kessils. The kessils light up frag tanks ok but not 24" high tanks.

robert s b.
01/24/2014, 01:12 PM

Read the thread man, the first year, he used Kessil predominately and had tremendous growth. And his tank looks awesome.

psykobowler
01/24/2014, 02:04 PM
Robert, I already read all 12 pages of that thread. For one, he uses more that just kessils in the hood (led strips) and his tank is no where near the acropora dominated displays I am taking about. The best bet is to have a few strips of t5s throughout the length of the tank. I have no doubt you will have success with sps in your system. The powermodule more than compensate for whatever spectrum the kessils do lack. I am still purchasing kessils but those will remain in my shallow display and frag tank. Just my humble opinion. I would still light up the tank with 3 hours of 400watt radiums per day with any LEDs that I use. I am ok with the energy consumption at that point.

psykobowler
01/24/2014, 02:06 PM
I still run 4 hours of halide at night despite having led fixture. 262277

rovster
01/24/2014, 09:53 PM
I'm going to,share my experience just to add to the conversation, although my setup is unlike what the OP and most of you are talking about. I have 2 kessil 150's (20k) that I run mainly as supplements and moodlighting, LOL! I run them for 9 hrs and run a 250 radium halide for 4 hrs. This is over a 30 gallon.

I think the "dim looking" comment is a fair assessment. Honestly, I think all LEDs are somewhat dim. Actually, that's what I like about them. I like the shadows and shimmer. It makes it all look that much more interesting, as opposed to blown out with light. When I first put the halide on, I was blown away at how much more light there appeared to be compared to the DIY full spectrum led it replaced.

Anyway, I honestly believe you can have a successful tank with the newer high powered units. I will say that the shimmer and overall appearance is amazing. To play it safe, I don't think supplementing with t5 is a bad idea. That said, I truly believe you do need more units than most recommend with LEDs.

Bpb
01/24/2014, 11:21 PM
So would you say that 2-a360WE would not be enough for a 55 or 75 gallon?

psykobowler
01/24/2014, 11:59 PM

How tall is a 55gallon? Two should be enough with added 54watt t5s across the length of the tank. There has got to be youtube video that has kessils on a 55 or 75.

psykobowler
01/25/2014, 12:03 AM
I'm going to,share my experience just to add to the conversation, although my setup is unlike what the OP and most of you are talking about. I have 2 kessil 150's (20k) that I run mainly as supplements and moodlighting, LOL! I run them for 9 hrs and run a 250 radium halide for 4 hrs. This is over a 30 gallon.

I think the "dim looking" comment is a fair assessment. Honestly, I think all LEDs are somewhat dim. Actually, that's what I like about them. I like the shadows and shimmer. It makes it all look that much more interesting, as opposed to blown out with light. When I first put the halide on, I was blown away at how much more light there appeared to be compared to the DIY full spectrum led it replaced.

Anyway, I honestly believe you can have a successful tank with the newer high powered units. I will say that the shimmer and overall appearance is amazing. To play it safe, I don't think supplementing with t5 is a bad idea. That said, I truly believe you do need more units than most recommend with LEDs.

I am running the ai hydra 52s for 8 hours and the 400watt radiums for 4 hours daily. I plan to run kessils a360we series and 400watt radiums on my frag tank as well with similar photoperiod. I think we are in the same page. I no longer need to purchase vho super actinics or t5 supplements. I just need to buy radium bulbs and not a lot of it anymore.

Ssteve
01/25/2014, 12:03 AM
I would think its not for a tank with a lot of sps. I'm running two on a 36" tank and would add another if it was any more than 42-44" long, but I really think it all depends on the goals. Going off kessils recommendations they cover 24", so even by their standards two is on the outer limits for a 48" tank.

tannersmith2000
01/26/2014, 09:45 AM

Two 360WE would definitely be sufficient

Hurricane Ivan
01/26/2014, 11:05 AM
I have 3 Kessil and primary glowing SPS. I use 2 A150W Sky Blues and 1 A360W @ 90%blue10% white. I really like the look of them and have had great coral growth. My tank doesn't do well with Softies but that's because I try to run a clean tank.

I'm fairly new to this forum and not sure how to upload pics, but will try.

Hurricane Ivan
01/26/2014, 11:08 AM
I forgot to mention that My Tank is a 90 Gal Bowfront 48*18*28. I recently had a tank crash and lost a lot of SPS corals due to extremely low salinity levels and temp fluctuations. :(

Hurricane Ivan
01/26/2014, 04:18 PM
Sorry for the crappy pics (iphone 5) this is 3 months of growth. I like them.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/irod72002/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/749724C2-F716-49F2-80D6-3641AFE0D4D6.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/irod72002/media/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/749724C2-F716-49F2-80D6-3641AFE0D4D6.jpg.html)[/IMG]

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/irod72002/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/496B3404-FA6B-4515-80BB-D0C9A17DEB89.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/irod72002/media/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/496B3404-FA6B-4515-80BB-D0C9A17DEB89.jpg.html)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/irod72002/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/5F6DD224-D5D7-4C50-9EB4-B439356CFE16.jpg (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/irod72002/media/90%20Gallon%20Reef%20Tank/5F6DD224-D5D7-4C50-9EB4-B439356CFE16.jpg.html)

cdub1955
01/27/2014, 09:42 AM
Bpb

Maybe I can give you some feedback. I have a fully automated shallow reef tank that has the following dimensions: 4' x 3' x 8"

I have two Kessils 360W and 360WE over this tank. A couple weeks ago I had just one Kessil (360W) and it was great but had some shadowing so I got another and it was the 360WE model. I will post pics tonight of this tank. Here are some observations that I have noticed compared to three AI Vega Colors that I originally had over this tank.

The Kessils 360W/E are not a concentrated light source like my previous Vega Color fixtures. I disliked my Vegas. I seemed to burn my SPS and LPS no matter the intensity or how high above water level. It was frustrating and annoying.

Moving on

Since I made the transition to the Kessil 360W, my corals have regained their colors and are thriving. I have a mix of gorgonians, SPS, LPS, and zoas. It's a "frag" tank but looks more like a reef tank. The 360WE is 15% brighter so I have moved my SPS to this side of the tank. I have my Kessils positioned approx 10" above water level and I am running 100% intensity and at about 14-15K. The Kessils have a true UV spectrum that rivals none other.

I am getting full poly extension and EVERY single coral is thriving. I am not getting any burning whatsoever.

It's a very evenly distributed light source and works awesome on my shallow reef.

If the 360W were used on a deep tank, I couldn't give accurate advice as my tank is only 8" deep. Look for posted pics this evening

Tanner, I have a single 360W over a 38 gallon IM Tank. I will have a mix of SPS, and LPS in this tank. it looks good. My past experience is with 250 MH, and I wanted to try LED lights. I love the look of the Kessil, but can you give me your opinion on this light for SPS on this tank?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

tannersmith2000
02/01/2014, 05:17 PM
Tanner, I have a single 360W over a 38 gallon IM Tank. I will have a mix of SPS, and LPS in this tank. it looks good. My past experience is with 250 MH, and I wanted to try LED lights. I love the look of the Kessil, but can you give me your opinion on this light for SPS on this tank?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Chris

For a 38 gallon tank, I would think one Kessil 360W would be sufficient however you are getting one single penetrating light source which can cause shadowing. The Kessil 360W (now the 360WE) have a wide angel lens which spreads light out which covers more area but you will still have some shadowing.

If I were you and I could afford it, I would use two Kessils and position them both on either side of the tank, just inside of the sides of the tank. That way you will get two light sources from both the right and left positions which decreases shadowing tremendously.

But to answer your questions, yes my Kessil 360Ws are growing SPS corals nicely. I love them.

tannersmith2000
02/01/2014, 06:02 PM
I just wanted to post some pictures of a few SPS corals under my Kessil 360W which hang over my 80 gallon shallow reef (8" shallow). I am having excellent growth and full polyp extension. Very happy with these lights over my shallow reef. I am using a crappy droid as a camera so the pictures do not do corals justice.

Acropora solitaryensis

Acropora tenius

Acropora hyacinthus

Ripline
02/02/2014, 01:37 PM
What are your Kessil settings? I am running 2 A360W on deep blue 16" deep mixed sps and lps tank. I like the lights but have not seen much on how people have them dialed in.

Ripline
02/02/2014, 01:38 PM
I just wanted to post some pictures of a few SPS corals under my Kessil 360W which hang over my 80 gallon shallow reef (8" shallow). I am having excellent growth and full polyp extension. Very happy with these lights over my shallow reef. I am using a crappy droid as a camera so the pictures do not do corals justice.

Acropora solitaryensis

Acropora tenius

Acropora hyacinthus

What are your Kessil settings? I am running 2 A360W on a deep blue 16" deep mixed reef sps and lps tank. I like the lights but have not seen much on how people have them dialed in.

tannersmith2000
02/02/2014, 02:06 PM
What are your Kessil settings? I am running 2 A360W on deep blue 16" deep mixed sps and lps tank. I like the lights but have not seen much on how people have them dialed in.

Well my Kessils are approx 16" above water level. I have the color set at about 50% and at 80% intensity.

Does this answer your question?

I also have an Apex but I have not yet bought a Kessil cable for controlling intensity. They are either on or off with a digital timer.

Ripline
02/02/2014, 02:10 PM
It does. I am controlling mine with the Apex. I am running them about 75% intensity and 40% on the spectrum side.
Thanks

tannersmith2000
02/02/2014, 02:35 PM
It does. I am controlling mine with the Apex. I am running them about 75% intensity and 40% on the spectrum side.
Thanks

No problem

Post pics of your setup if you like

Ripline
02/02/2014, 02:54 PM
Here are a couple. I am not the best picture taker263624263625

tannersmith2000
02/02/2014, 03:27 PM
Here are a couple. I am not the best picture taker263624263625

Nice setup!

I have a duncan that looks identical to yours.

Very clean

chaderic26
02/02/2014, 11:10 PM
I have 4 kessil a360n over my 220 tank (6ft long). I've been happy with them so far. I have had some issues with color but everything seems to be slowly coloring up. It's only been up about three months.

There's a little bit of shadowing but not to bad. I was thinking about maybe using a light mover if the colonies grow big enough.

chaderic26
02/02/2014, 11:17 PM
Some crappy cell pics http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/u7abypy7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/teme9a5e.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/03/azu6e3u4.jpg

chaderic26
02/02/2014, 11:20 PM
I'll also end up adding some actinic t5s Or blue led strips etc. To try to get a little more pop.

Borchers
02/03/2014, 01:09 AM
You will not find any sps dominated tanks with kessils alone. I dare you too. Try using them exclusively for 3 to 4 months and let me know if it does not brown out your acroporas. They do fine on mixed reef with some montiporas, lps and softies but not on intense light loving acroporas. There is a reason why reefers with sps dominated (mostly acroporas) tanks still use halides and t5s. They work. Look at my tank below. There are 3 AI hydra 52 in the middle. The ends have the newest kessil a360w e series. See how dim the ends are with kessils at full blast? Now try using just the kessil without any other lighting and tell me if the acropora with be better off. I am just waiting for the remaining hydra 52s to come in and I will remove the kessils. The kessils light up frag tanks ok but not 24" high tanks.

Neptune Aquatics and Diablo Corals are both full Kessil and their systems are amazing. I saw the display at Neptunes yesterday and is full on 360e on their 300. Over 1 yr on the Kessils now. Plus there entire grow out system is Kessil. SPS are insanely beautiful. So can it be done yes. Is it being done yes. Most people don't allow the LED to acclimate and let the corals recover. I miss my LED system. I should have stayed Kessil on my 93. I might go back to the new 360e.

psykobowler
02/03/2014, 01:50 AM
Neptune's main display is 435 gallons and it was lit with AI before switching to kessil. Look at their website. I own the new kessil a360W e series. It can barely light a 24x24 without shadows. Again the kessil works on shallower tanks.

Psionicdragon
02/03/2014, 01:57 AM
i am running 3 vegas and 2 kessil 350n...the vega has more shadowing than the kessil.
But so far the coloration that my SPS had gain with the vegas had been very nice.

psykobowler
02/03/2014, 03:05 AM
Here is a comparison. Both ends have the latest and greatest kessil a360w e series. Focus on the right side where the 3 vortech mp60s are. It is pretty dark with the kessil on full blast. You know the kessil is on because you would see the light spillage in the hood.
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o671/glennrobles/1043B27B-15A9-4A87-B90C-25676A5F59AC_zpse85t6jnl.jpg (http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/glennrobles/media/1043B27B-15A9-4A87-B90C-25676A5F59AC_zpse85t6jnl.jpg.html)
Now look at the same region in the right when I switched the kessil with an ai hydra 52. You can actually see the blue polyps in the montipora. It is no where near as intense as an ai.
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o671/glennrobles/693F7AD0-D0C9-41F2-91B5-A389A882D240_zpscdcaappl.jpg (http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/glennrobles/media/693F7AD0-D0C9-41F2-91B5-A389A882D240_zpscdcaappl.jpg.html)

tannersmith2000
02/03/2014, 05:18 AM
I have 4 kessil a360n over my 220 tank (6ft long). I've been happy with them so far. I have had some issues with color but everything seems to be slowly coloring up. It's only been up about three months.

There's a little bit of shadowing but not to bad. I was thinking about maybe using a light mover if the colonies grow big enough.

What kelvin rating are you working with? Give us your percentages please

chaderic26
02/03/2014, 06:03 AM
I don't know exact percentages. I have it @ 100% intensity and the color spectrum @.around 10K . I have been just using the knobs.

chaderic26
02/03/2014, 06:08 AM
Here's a video my brother took a couple weeks ago.

http://instagram.com/p/jX_nu_qZy3/

The light intensity is impressive for an led light setup set 10 inches above a 30 inch deep tank imho.

psykobowler
02/03/2014, 03:30 PM
Like what the OP originally posted. Show him massive colonies full blown sps tank that only uses kessils.

chaderic26
02/03/2014, 03:35 PM
I think you will see more and more as time goes on. Takes time to grow these massive colonies and the first Gen leds that came out didn't seem that great to me. Time will tell.

tannersmith2000
02/03/2014, 05:09 PM
I think you will see more and more as time goes on. Takes time to grow these massive colonies and the first Gen leds that came out didn't seem that great to me. Time will tell.

I agree.

Bpb
02/03/2014, 05:32 PM
Sorry guys haven't replied in a while to my own thread. I'm still in the market and looking. This will be a multiple month research and money saving endeavor. It is going hand in hand with a stand sump and tank upgrade, ideally keeping all of my current inhabitants, and using mostly new rock. It's a lofty goal but I know it can be done. I'm still researching and very interested in kessils. Having seen some more info it looks like the chip uses a combination of 4000-4500k neutral white, 450 nm royal blue, 480 nm blue, and 395 nm UV (which on a close up, appear as black specs since the human eye cannot detect 395 nm. These lights are to my knowledge the only LEDs on the market that offer this spectrum, even the radion pro and hydra 52 having their "UV" peak at 405 nm if I'm not mistake. This 10 nm difference seems to be a fairly big deal to coloration and growth from what I gather, and is what allows kessils to rival the response of much brighter and more powerful metal halides.

If I'm talking out of my arse please someone correct me and I'll accept it, this is just the conclusion I've come to so far. I hate to say it but I've also seen some pretty spectacular results on some major sps tanks using the reef breeders photon series which I am also considering, as it would provid even coverage, high par, and half the cost. But I've not made my mind up. I've also been researching BML as they are soon to release a new model that allegedly looks identical to a 400 watt radium. Anxious to see if it's true. Their center of operations is nearby me so I will be able to check them out first hand. They're fairly pricey though.

Happy to continue discussing, learning, and being educated and corrected. Keep the pics and opinions coming

tannersmith2000
02/03/2014, 07:46 PM
Bpb

My hat is off to you. You are doing your research. So many people jump the gun before researching products and critters.

Roy Arena
02/05/2014, 09:14 PM
+1 research is key. Great thread

Ckyuv
02/07/2014, 05:22 PM
Bpb I used to have a 55gal sps tank with 3 kessil a350w on it. I had no issues with shadows at all and my sps had great growth. I started my new tank when I moved and had to sell them. I now have an ati 6xt5 fixture and when I get money I'm going back to kessil. I tried supplementing my kessils with a bml strip so I could get the reds and greens and the only difference I noticed in the couple months I had it was heat. I don't have a before and after pic all I have is a random one when the tank was about 8 months old

Bpb
02/07/2014, 06:04 PM
Hey I recognize you from ARC. Those colors are great. I've also considered the a350s since I can find them used for fairly inexpensive compared to the new ones. I was considering the new BML fixtures but for what id need, I'm running into kessil money there which are atop my wish list. Even higher than radions or ghl

xxjrealxx
02/07/2014, 07:08 PM
Bpb I used to have a 55gal sps tank with 3 kessil a350w on it. I had no issues with shadows at all and my sps had great growth. I started my new tank when I moved and had to sell them. I now have an ati 6xt5 fixture and when I get money I'm going back to kessil. I tried supplementing my kessils with a bml strip so I could get the reds and greens and the only difference I noticed in the couple months I had it was heat. I don't have a before and after pic all I have is a random one when the tank was about 8 months old

so when you get your kessils back will you be supplementing them with anything? or just have the kessils?

Bpb
02/09/2014, 06:16 PM
Here's another question. Do any of you run kessils in a canopy? That's kind of a big deal for me. My tank is opposite the television, and if you're sitting on the couch I have found lights outside a canopy cast an intolerable glare on the tv as they reflect off the screen. The tank reflection you can surprisingly ignore but not direct reflection from lights. My t5s have a light shield to prevent this. Most people seem to use the gooseneck mounts to get the kessils 12-18" off the water. I don't want a 2 foot tall canopy over the tank as that would look silly. Can these be hung from an open top faux canopy say 6-8" off the water? Or is that too close. Keep in mind i run a 55 gallon. Only 12" depth. When I upgrade it'll only be to a 75 gallon so that'll be...18" depth? Don't need to cover that wide front to back distance of a cube. Also...my aqua scale has two mountains with a valley in the middle under the cross brace. The sps are mounted on the rock mounds, while my zoas and Lps are in the middle on the sand. So two would actually be ideal since the sps would be directly under each unit, and a 3rd would be over the cross brace rendering it strongly hindered. My aqua scape actually works in my favor since the sps are at the ends and not in the middle or evenly spread.

Bpb
02/09/2014, 06:18 PM
Also since this is my thread I may as well post a tank pic.

Ssteve
02/10/2014, 12:01 AM
I'm running two 350's with two 39w t5's in a canopy over a 57g that's 21" tall with a 12" tall floating canopy. Works great.

vuqchu
02/10/2014, 05:00 AM
I have a 360 and a 150 Ocean Blue on a 20" cube. They are both 6-7" from water level. In your case, you can adjust the intensity so that you are not toasting the corals given the depth of the tank.

Marco Madeira
02/13/2014, 08:03 AM
Hi,
Kessil A350 and 2 Par38 over a 28" (deep) tank. The leds are 7" from the tank...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bGarupl2dvs/UbG2Xn6hFuI/AAAAAAAADqs/0GFqAw7TZB8/w576-h659-no/20130606_200128.jpg

Its possible to have only kessils on a tank without shadows (if you dont like it). I recently change to a bigger tank (cube 35*35*24) and Iīm using 2 Kessils A350 plus 5 Par38 lamps without shadows. I had to incline the kessils (1 in each side) to have great spread without shadows.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1dt5hHPk5J0/UvAwb3SpG1I/AAAAAAAAFB8/4CVKp5mbnes/w830-h467-no/20140203_234836.jpg

Bpb
02/13/2014, 08:26 AM
Wow. Just wow. The colors are spectacular. Just curious can you take a pic without the par38 supplements? Also, any info on the par 38 color combos?

Ricardo Fonseca
02/13/2014, 08:33 AM
Awesome tank, looking forward to see it live. The light looks pretty cool as I told you before.

Marco Madeira
02/13/2014, 08:45 AM
Hi Bpb...

Yes, I can take a pic without the Par38. But I just use them to make the the dawn and dusk effect.

I have a combo with Rapid leds and Ecoxotic Par38. Ecoxotic (all royal blue) give a very "dramatic and bright" effect on the corals.

reefmutt
02/13/2014, 12:27 PM
marco, great looking tank!
i love the background you used as well
although i don't use them, i think the kessils are a fantastic light..

claudio245
02/13/2014, 04:49 PM
Marco,

Which pair of 38 rapid led you are using please. Have photos of the LEDs.

best regards
Claudio

BrentH
02/13/2014, 11:27 PM
I was thinkin of trying the kessils I bought. 2 color Vegas for my 150 gallon and like u said they burn up anything I put under it big time ... And when there turned downed to like. 50 % they look to dim so your making me curious on the kessils

Marco Madeira
02/14/2014, 04:11 AM
I was thinkin of trying the kessils I bought. 2 color Vegas for my 150 gallon and like u said they burn up anything I put under it big time ... And when there turned downed to like. 50 % they look to dim so your making me curious on the kessils

BrentH, I was having the same problem when I bought the Kessil A350. i had to lower the white channel to 30% or put the lamp higher. What kind of lenses does the Vega comes with?

Claudio, Iīm using Ecoxotic (all royal blue) and RapidLed (mix of neutral white and royal blue leds).

Thanks Ricardo and Reefmutt.

tannersmith2000
02/14/2014, 05:39 AM

+1 I had Vegas too. The burnt everything even at reduced intensity. My Kessils have not burnt the first and my SPS love them

Zacktosterone
02/19/2014, 10:14 AM

I have a 90 gallon sps dominated tank with 2 kessils.... The my old t5s were INCREDIBLY dim compared to the kessils. Not only that Ive used t5s with my kessils and they still cast shimmer they're so bright.... Ive had great growth and I dont even dose... So I'm wondering what you're talking about. The only thing I dont like is the lack of pop they give on my fish

Zacktosterone
02/19/2014, 10:20 AM
Best shimmer for led on the market, no discoball effect that you get with EVERY other competitor, INCLUDING ai hydra and the reflective paint for maxspect. No comparison. The only reason they shadow is because they 're such a small point source, which is why the shimmer so well, like halides. Add two t5's if your worried about that ... Like halides. but I dont have an issue. the real reason they do that is because of water surface agitation. I have 2 montipora Capricorn's and 6 pieces of acropora and they're all growing beautifully.

Ckyuv
02/23/2014, 06:40 PM
so when you get your kessils back will you be supplementing them with anything? or just have the kessils?

I won't. I love the bml but I don't feel the extra colors are necessary. The 360 seems to have all the spectrum I need. I just ordered 2 of the 360w and 10 feet of stainless conduit to make a mount. I'll post pics when they get up and goin!

Bpb
02/24/2014, 10:47 PM
After looking at a lot of competitors and changing my mind a million times I'm back to kessils being number one on the wish list. No matter what else I choose I have that gut feeling that I'll be settling and wishing I had gotten the kessils. Though I'll say the new radium clones from BML look spectacular. They're brand new though and I cannot find a single picture or video other than the one on their website.

I found this interesting pic of the a350. Looks like 2 whites, 3 blue shades, and the 395 nm UV. Could be wrong. Did they not change the color layout between a350 an a360? Users who have had both claim that they look noticeably different with "equal" settings. I wonder if the different power supplies will cause the LEDs to burn differently.

At this point I've been torn between getting a used pair of a350s cheap now, or waiting until may when I can piece together the dough and just get brand new 360we units. I wonder when the next generation will be sprung

evolutionZ
02/25/2014, 01:07 AM
Will 2 a360we work well in a 48x24x14" Sps tank?

Ssteve
02/26/2014, 03:50 PM

As the only light source I would say no. IMO it wouldn't be enough to do a sps tank properly. Could you get away with it? Yeah you should be ok, but it wouldn't be ideal imo. On a 48" tank I would ideally run supplements of T5's with two 360's or two a150's. I run two 350's on a 36" tank with two T5's and couldn't imagine running any less than that on a longer tank.

chaderic26
02/26/2014, 07:24 PM
I would do three a360 narrow. Or two and t5s. I have 4 over my 6ft 30 inch deep tank. So far so good.

chaderic26
02/26/2014, 07:25 PM
You can also email kessil for recommendations. That's What I did.

bif24701
02/27/2014, 12:26 AM
I just ordered 2 A360WE for my 120 48x24x24. I saw the 350 in person at our LFS in Fort Walton Beach and I was completely taken back by the look and the size of the SPS colonies. I should have taken pictures to put this debate to rest. The main display is a deep 240 and has 4 350s mounted about 18" from the water. He also supplements with some cheaper DIY LEDs for a longer photo period however they are dimm and really for extending the viewing time within the store as the owner put it. He also has a cube with one 350 I would say is around 50 gallons. Again here he has very large SPS colonies with deep bright colors. They include montis, birds nest, and lots of acro. I needed no more convincing once I saw this place. I made my decision, after much research, right there and placed them on order. I spoke with the owner he bought the lights over a year ago to replace the furnace heaters of a light HQI MH for the Kessil. Being they are so new I see that the point others have made about not seeing a huge SPS dominated tank is simple, time. The technology is new and there simply isn't the time to grow out those tanks from start. The facts are that Kessil manufactures the LEDs for these lights not a third party. The parent company knows lighting and specifically grow lights. I spoke to representatives of Kessil and they release little specific data on the blend and make of these lights because it is proprietary and closely guarded although most of the info you want to know they will give you. Sure the lights are some what of a spot light and so is the sun. It's a matter of taste frankly and I don't see it as a problem on the tanks I saw personally or for my self. I was very heavy on the Radions before I finally chose the 360. The Hydra 52, Radion pro, and the Kessil 360 are all great lights but I everyone, everyone I have spoke too could only speak positively for the growth and look of the light. If I feel the shadows are too great and decide to supplement with t5s fixture I have siting in my garage it couldn't possibly diminish the of these lights purchased new for less than 750$ per 2 fixtures. There is a sale currently for Kessil at my LFS. That's the price nearly of a single Radion. Control ability and independently for intensity and blue/white mix with your Apex is a wonderful plus is you want it. I wouldn't say the A360WE would replace a overdriven 450w Radium for color or growth, first because I haven't put them on my tank yet second there isn't enough time to make that comparison so I wouldn't even try. I am sure however I will be much happier with these over my tank than two 250w or 450w MH because of the heat and cost of power. No more chiller needed, that's another huge power hungry, nose making device I'll gladly give up. This may only apply to me but the Kessil are dual voltage, meaning if I move to Europe in the near future I can use my lights there easily. I am military and move often.

I have read many more negative results from other LED fixtures and this was my second biggest reason for the Kessil purchase. When I research products i skip the 50-300 positive reviews and just read the negative ones. This gives me a way better picture of what to expect from something I am about to buy rather than all the post of people saying "this light is awesome!" Once you've done than and can say, "well I can live with that" then I know I found the right product. One of the few negative reviews I read was of someone who believed that only intensity could be controlled with his Apex, of course this is false.

The A360WE is 10-15% brighter than the A360W.

The gooses neck mounting hardware is easy to install and allows for you to simply adjust height position by just pushing on the rod.

Simplistic controls for intensity and color blending.

Silent, will not be heard over any other equipment on your tank. No other high end light I know of is this quiet. The fans still produce noticeable noise.

They are small, and do not look like a giant flying spaceship (as my wife put it) like a MH fixture. The clean design is very pleasuring to the eyes, especially for picky European eyes that hate almost everything about my hobby yet was pleased to see is wasn't putting a spaceship over the tank again.

I hope this helped the OP as the only reason I decided to reply because I was once in his shoes. My last advice would be to seek out a tank that has these lights going and view them for your self.

machote
02/27/2014, 01:33 AM
Go mh i was in the same dilema

tannersmith2000
02/27/2014, 04:45 AM
I just ordered 2 A360WE for my 120 48x24x24. I saw the 350 in person at our LFS in Fort Walton Beach and I was completely taken back by the look and the size of the SPS colonies. I should have taken pictures to put this debate to rest. The main display is a deep 240 and has 4 350s mounted about 18" from the water. He also supplements with some cheaper DIY LEDs for a longer photo period however they are dimm and really for extending the viewing time within the store as the owner put it. He also has a cube with one 350 I would say is around 50 gallons. Again here he has very large SPS colonies with deep bright colors.

So I assume you checked out the hybrid saltwater / mechanic store. Dude is very cool and has some nice tanks using kessils. He got to buy kessils as well. I was pretty blown away by the color and size of his SPS.

bif24701
02/27/2014, 07:42 AM
Yes, Matts. He is cool and proves to me these are the true MH replacements at least as close as you can get right now

TremontReefer
03/13/2014, 08:27 PM
Been following this thread for a month or so... I set up a 95 gallon in December. It's 30 x30 x24High. I have an A360N over the tank on a gooseneck. Only running at 70% currently. I have SPS under the light on a ridge of rock and sps and chalices further away as the light spreads. Wondering if this will work?

bif24701
03/13/2014, 09:48 PM
Been following this thread for a month or so... I set up a 95 gallon in December. It's 30 x30 x24High. I have an A360N over the tank on a gooseneck. Only running at 70% currently. I have SPS under the light on a ridge of rock and sps and chalices further away as the light spreads. Wondering if this will work?

I would have gone with the 360w, that narrow should be at least 12" from the water. It will fry stuff. I've seen 350N mounted 18" from water and still growing great corals at the bottom of a 30" tank or more. Start lower. Maybe around 50% wait a week and increase 5%.

Reefer54
03/19/2014, 02:33 AM
the kessils have so much more saturation than our minds tell us they do...probably based on our known success and look of MH> but even my a150w's can fry stuff. it took me 3 corals to accept they are as bright as they are. i now start high light loving sps on the sides of the cone and move them inward. LPS are all at the bottom of the tank or the outskirts of the cone.

What is very cool is to have low light corals up high in the tank as i have gotten a pretty good feel for the lower light areas of the cone, so i have some mushrooms and lps growing right up on the top of tank just behind sps in the field of view....it doesnt look normal, but it is working this far...and i have raised my a150's higher (about 12") from the water surface, because any lower and i felt the range narrowed too much and really had too high of penetration directly under the units.

claudio245
03/19/2014, 10:50 AM
I have a Kessil a350W in my 50g tank with 40x18x18 inches. the height of the LED tube is 12 inches of water column. I wonder the experts what is the best setting to not harm the sps.

regards
Claudio

Marco Madeira
03/20/2014, 08:57 AM
Hi Claudio... 12" its too much for the W version. About 7" its ok... unless you are looking for bigger coverage area.
Start at 50%, check your corals and then increase a little bit every week.

This is my friendīs tank with 2 Kessils A350W over the tank, so you can have a reference of how far his Kessils are placed.

http://www.recife.pt/gallery/image.php?album_id=26&image_id=1995

claudio245
03/20/2014, 11:00 AM
Marco,

Tanks my friend.

regards,

claudio

TremontReefer
03/28/2014, 07:15 PM
On Bif's suggestion I swapped my 360N for a 360W. I thought it was torching everything. Can someone growing SPS with an A360W post their apex programs? My tank is a 100 gal cube 31 x 31 x 24 high. light is on a gooseneck 7-10" off water. Thanks.

bif24701
03/29/2014, 09:36 AM
On Bif's suggestion I swapped my 360N for a 360W. I thought it was torching everything. Can someone growing SPS with an A360W post their apex programs? My tank is a 100 gal cube 31 x 31 x 24 high. light is on a gooseneck 7-10" off water. Thanks.

Being that you have the wide now and need 31" spread I would mount them around 6" off the water and then see what your coverage is. 10" seems pretty high.

Zacktosterone
01/22/2015, 09:49 AM

yeah that would be good. 3 would be better

Reefvet
01/22/2015, 04:13 PM
yeah that would be good. 3 would be better

You do realize you just replied to a post that's from 11 months ago and a thread that's had no discussion for over 8 months.

Slow day at the office ? :eek2:

mordibv
01/24/2015, 03:07 PM
Hi Claudio... 12" its too much for the W version. About 7" its ok... unless you are looking for bigger coverage area.
Start at 50%, check your corals and then increase a little bit every week.

This is my friendīs tank with 2 Kessils A350W over the tank, so you can have a reference of how far his Kessils are placed.

http://www.recife.pt/gallery/image.php?album_id=26&image_id=1995

You do realize you just replied to a post that's from 11 months ago and a thread that's had no discussion for over 8 months.

Slow day at the office ? :eek2:

Better late than never . LOL .Based on this thread I can see your a kessil fan reefvet . I would love to see the GA corals you have with a growth sequence . I am unsure if those corals are in the tank with the sunlight assistance.
I for one have been following this thread . I have to make my mind up soon. I think that picture with the 2 kessils may be covering 18 inches span left to right if it is a 48inch l to r tank .
It is the shadowing that I have seen that bother's me . I am a stickhead and will be doing a small tank this time 24 x 24 x 20 H. I noticed most of the led only sps dominant tanks that were successful ai,radion,kessil etc definitley had multiples of units in use . Call it overkill but they were not lacking growth,color and that observation told me a lot . I'll still keep reading threads and get to a decision one day . I do think that if I have to use t5's to assist then it's gonna be a no go with kessil or ai which are my two main choices so far . I would just stick to t5 or just use a 240/400 halide and be done with it . On the halide note a friend told me the phoenix bulb will no longer be in production . That not a good thing to hear since I have a CV DE mini pendant on hand .

PaleHorse
01/24/2015, 06:59 PM
Spent a lot of time googling over the last several days trying to find as much info as I can from kessil users. I've been pretty well convinced that they're great from some positive local users.

LOL Kessil and sps in the same sentence at that...... there were so many threads on how junk they were and guess what...... they all got deleted.......

Bpb
01/24/2015, 07:06 PM
LOL Kessil and sps in the same sentence at that...... there were so many threads on how junk they were and guess what...... they all got deleted.......

I decided to go with metal halides. While I love the way kessils look...operating cost, temperature, and bulb replacement cost are not a problem so rather than deal with the learning curve and lengthy acclimation of led use, I decided to go with what will grow sps like steroids in a set and forget fool proof manner.

In the future if I get a cube tank, shallow tank, or change to all rock hugging non branching sps or all zoa and Lps type coral stock, kessils will be the choice without a doubt. For now I'm loving the big coverage and lack of shadowing the large MH reflectors provide.

Reefvet
01/25/2015, 08:40 PM
Oops. Posted in wrong thread. Mod please remove.

mordibv
01/25/2015, 09:31 PM
I decided to go with metal halides. While I love the way kessils look...operating cost, temperature, and bulb replacement cost are not a problem so rather than deal with the learning curve and lengthy acclimation of led use, I decided to go with what will grow sps like steroids in a set and forget fool proof manner.

In the future if I get a cube tank, shallow tank, or change to all rock hugging non branching sps or all zoa and Lps type coral stock, kessils will be the choice without a doubt. For now I'm loving the big coverage and lack of shadowing the large MH reflectors provide.

Agreed . Good for you . If u have ever seen Richard Columbo's 115G SPS tank on you tube, it kinda makes using halides a no brainer . It's inspiring .

Bpb
01/26/2015, 12:39 PM
I'm subscribed to Richards tank thread. Definitely one of the best looking tanks currently in the hobby from anyone. Makes me look forward to switching back to radiums

Vinh_
02/16/2016, 11:08 PM
I currently run my A360we at 90% over a shallow tanks and have gotten great results as far as coloration and PE goes. As far as growth it is ok, but not to be compared with MH,AI or radion. I believe thats something you should ask yourself to, are you looking for explosive growth? Some don't want to have to snip their corals every few months so its all a matter of preference IMO.

ERIC85854
03/15/2016, 04:59 PM

Read the thread man, the first year, he used Kessil predominately and had tremendous growth. And his tank looks awesome.

You seriously trying to judge the intensity with your eyes? Lol

burton14e7
03/16/2016, 08:59 AM
Has anybody been using the ap700 for a SPS dominated tank?

makers marc
04/14/2016, 01:37 PM
I have, its been on a 75g SPS majority tank. It is definitely strong enough for all types of acropora including those maricultured. Mine resides roughly 10-12 inches from water level, peaks at 80% during the day.

On the extreme edges of the 48 inch length (6 inches) I only have montiporas and maxima clams at the bottom and they are growing rapidly. If you put a larger tabling acro at the edges, I'm sure there would be some shading issues.

organism
04/14/2016, 03:51 PM
I currently run my A360we at 90% over a shallow tanks and have gotten great results as far as coloration and PE goes. As far as growth it is ok, but not to be compared with MH,AI or radion. I believe thats something you should ask yourself to, are you looking for explosive growth? Some don't want to have to snip their corals every few months so its all a matter of preference IMO.

You seriously trying to judge the intensity with your eyes? Lol

You guys know you're replying to people who posted over a year ago right?

Personally I think Kessils are some of the worst LED's in the hobby, like someone mentioned earlier (2004) they're dim and hazy. Their optic is tiny, somewhat opaque, and the way the diodes are packed together causes wave interference. They are literally a scientifically calculable lower quality fixture. I never got nice crisp colors from them, I did once I got rid of the Kessils and switched to Halos though.

makers marc
04/14/2016, 04:55 PM
We all have our own opinions. The "worst" LED side is funny.

ComforablyNumb
04/14/2016, 06:42 PM
Personally I think Kessils are some of the worst LED's in the hobby, like someone mentioned earlier (2004) they're dim and hazy. Their optic is tiny, somewhat opaque, and the way the diodes are packed together causes wave interference. They are literally a scientifically calculable lower quality fixture.

You're kidding here, right? You have to be...

Scorpius
04/14/2016, 09:13 PM

Personally I think Kessils are some of the worst LED's in the hobby, like someone mentioned earlier (2004) they're dim and hazy. Their optic is tiny, somewhat opaque, and the way the diodes are packed together causes wave interference. They are literally a scientifically calculable lower quality fixture. I never got nice crisp colors from them, I did once I got rid of the Kessils and switched to Halos though.

Darn Daniel at it again with your hater-aid. :lol:

We all have our own opinions. The "worst" LED side is funny.

You're kidding here, right? You have to be...

We're all entitled to our opinions.

bif24701
04/18/2016, 09:14 PM

Considering that some of the best tanks I have ever seen are lit primarily with Kessel 360 this statement isn't justified.

coralsrmylife
05/24/2016, 01:37 PM
following along... I'm a kessil owner.

bif24701
05/24/2016, 01:56 PM
I think all the problems that the 360s had is mostly resolved with the AP700s. I expected to need T5, no way! My tank is flooded with light.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/2846c019b548ba078d356272021f2157.jpghttps://vimeo.com/167941629http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/23e5981f68df357a5572f6588db30fbe.jpg

Aaron

180 Gallon Dream (Now Reality)
http://www.panhandlereefers.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14405-180-Gallon-Dream-%28Now-Reality%29

ERIC85854
05/24/2016, 04:40 PM

Wave interference? It's called shimmer. The A360s were shown by BRS to provide one of the most even light spreads. Use a PAR meter.

bif24701
05/24/2016, 04:42 PM
Wave interference? It's called shimmer. The A360s were shown by BRS to provide one of the most even light spreads. Use a PAR meter.

I have over 200 PAR @ 60% on the sand bed in the corner! The AP700 is a super beast!

Aaron

http://www.panhandlereefers.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14405-180-Gallon-Dream-%28Now-Reality%29

bif24701
05/24/2016, 04:58 PM

So many wrong. Please provide your reference sir. The light must be monochromatic. See below.

In 1801, Thomas Young successfully showed that light does produce a two-point source interference pattern. In order to produce such a pattern, monochromatic light must be used. Monochromatic light is light of a single color; by use of such light, the two sources will vibrate with the same frequency. It is also important that the two light waves be vibrating in phase with each other; that is, the crest of one wave must be produced at the same precise time as the crest of the second wave. (This is often referred to as coherent light.)

Aaron

ERIC85854
05/24/2016, 05:00 PM
I have over 200 PAR @ 60% on the sand bed in the corner! The AP700 is a super beast!

Aaron

Cool. I have two 360s on a 54 corner on 70% intensity. 315 PAR mid to a little lower than mid where my Acros are.

organism
05/24/2016, 10:48 PM
So many wrong. Please provide your reference sir. The light must be monochromatic. See below.

"So many wrong".... Oh the irony. I don't think you understand what monochromatic means in the Young experiment or how it's applied. Two diodes of the same color next to each other are monochromatic, and the optic is tiny and hazy. Kessil 350/360 are absolutely 100% equation-provable lower quality lights, my reference is 2 years of upper division physics including waves and optics.

Locals here joke about how bad they are, to each their own I guess but the science is inarguable.

ERIC85854
05/24/2016, 11:18 PM
"So many wrong".... Oh the irony. I don't think you understand what monochromatic means in the Young experiment or how it's applied. Two diodes of the same color next to each other are monochromatic, and the optic is tiny and hazy. Kessil 350/360 are absolutely 100% equation-provable lower quality lights, my reference is 2 years of upper division physics including waves and optics.

Locals here joke about how bad they are, to each their own I guess but the science is inarguable.

Seems you're the only one to bring this up as an issue.

bif24701
05/25/2016, 12:34 AM

Because they pass through the same lens makes this a non issue. Please shows us the evidence that proves what your saying. I'm sure in your studies you had to provide reference. Of this in fact true I'm sure many people would be very interested in seeing it.

Aaron

bif24701
05/26/2016, 04:52 AM
BRS did some pretty good testing on the Kessil AP700 in this video. Confirming its improved spread/coverage, spectrum, PAR, shimmer, proprietary UV/UVB mix, Kessil Logic (ensures appropriate spectrum for optimal growth/color not matter the spectrum you chose), and blues peak exactly matches Radion and the most successful/-popular ATI T5 bulbs. The PAR results even surprised BRS with its power and its large coverage with even numbers. The video confined what I and many others see that the AP700 is the best LED fixture right now.

https://youtu.be/V7XLgLiA0PM

Aaron

mirkus
05/26/2016, 03:25 PM
How long has the AP700 been out, almost a year right? Anyone care to post pics of their SPS?

Unfortunately, almost all of the sps tanks that I've seen lit by Kessil have been underwhelming.

Don't bash me yet, I completely understand that there is more to SPS color than lighting. I ran a metal halide tank for years with crappy color.....

bif24701
05/26/2016, 04:00 PM
How long has the AP700 been out, almost a year right? Anyone care to post pics of their SPS?

Unfortunately, almost all of the sps tanks that I've seen lit by Kessil have been underwhelming.

Don't bash me yet, I completely understand that there is more to SPS color than lighting. I ran a metal halide tank for years with crappy color.....

It's been out less than one year. However some of the best growth and color has been with Kessil 360s with T5s. Many will tell you and I have seen many outstanding corals under this combination. Two years ago when the 360s fist came out all the same questions and criticisms where brought up. Now 360 and T5 right now is top dog. The AP700 will prove with results, but it will take time. Corals don't grow over night.

Aaron

magnoliarichj
07/10/2016, 10:26 PM

only 2 years? that isn't even a drop in the bucket.