PDA

View Full Version : attempt to save energy!

Dodger745
01/22/2014, 06:28 AM
So ive talked with another reefer that is running several tanks, and he mentioned that he added a whole-house surge protector to his main box and it has cut his power bill significantly.
anyone have experience with this?

reefpatrol3
01/22/2014, 06:37 AM
Not sure how that could save energy. It's just like the regular surge protector on power strips but it goes on the main house breakers.

alton
01/22/2014, 06:45 AM
An SPD protects the home from inrushes of current and spikes from the utility

tommyz44
01/22/2014, 07:01 AM
Seems odd to me, i dont quite understand how that would save money
http://www.lehmierelectric.com/electricsaver.html
Here is a link of a company that sells them and explains a little bit. I still dont quite understand thought.

Breadman03
01/22/2014, 08:21 AM
Think about power factor like waves. You have voltage waves and amperage waves. Many of our appliances throw off their alignment, resulting in inefficiency. This device appears to keep the waves aligned to allow for optimal efficiency.

dkeller_nc
01/22/2014, 08:42 AM
Just an FYI folks, but it is not possible for any device hooked up to a power feed to alter the power factor of an electricity-consuming device. The device's characteristics are what determine it's power factor, not the feed power.

And in fact, it violates the laws of physics to conclude that any surge protector, power line noise eliminator or any other passive device saves energy (specifically, it violates the first law of thermodynamics).

Clamagore
01/22/2014, 09:03 AM
Assuming the connected devices remain the same, the only way I know how a device could lower electrical usage charges would be to the alter the home’s power factor significantly away from unity, because the meter only sees “real” power, not reactive power. But that’s not what surge protectors do, so I'm at a loss.

Dodger745
01/22/2014, 09:17 AM
I'm iffy on this myself. I was just seeing what everyone else thought.

sanababit
01/22/2014, 09:35 AM
Its poppycock i say

Sana