PDA

View Full Version : Bicolor angel

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 12:49 AM
Love this fish and would like to try one. I lost my coral beauty and flame in a blackout we had a couple of weeks ago. But that's another story.

LFS says many keep them in reefs without issue. This is not a big box store. Should they be purchased at a certain age? I have mainly soft corals with some zoas as well as branching hammer, frogspawn, cany cane and some monti. Thanks

rssjsb
01/23/2014, 10:31 AM
From what I've read around here bicolors are one of the least coral-safe angels. For that reason, I've never tried one. Maybe someone else will chime in with actual experience.

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks, that's what I've been seeing also. But the owner of the store here says he's never heard of an issue in a reef tank. That's the funny part. I'm also going to check out some locals to see who has one in their reef.

MrTuskfish
01/23/2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks, that's what I've been seeing also. But the owner of the store here says he's never heard of an issue in a reef tank. That's the funny part. I'm also going to check out some locals to see who has one in their reef.

Its sad, but LFS owners are no longer decent sources of info like they used to be. Read what LA says: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+433&pcatid=433

HumbleFish
01/23/2014, 01:12 PM
From what I've read around here bicolors are one of the least coral-safe angels. For that reason, I've never tried one. Maybe someone else will chime in with actual experience.

+1 Bicolors are about as bad as Lemonpeels in this regard.

To the OP: If you get a Bicolor, I can just about guarantee you it will completely decimate your zoas. Candy Canes will be next, and probably your Euphyllia too.

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 02:27 PM
Owner has had the store now for 15 years.................

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the input. Seems like I'll have to pass on this beauty.

HumbleFish
01/23/2014, 03:56 PM
Owner has had the store now for 15 years.................

I always take anything a LFS owner/employee tells me with a grain of salt. After all, they usually have an incentive to sell me something. The advice I get on here is incentive-free because nobody stands to gain or lose if I don't buy something. :)

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 05:05 PM
Just spoke to him through Facebook. "That's strange, so many people have them in reefs without a problem. Better to be on the safe side I guess".

Megatrev62
01/23/2014, 05:10 PM
I will definitely be asking who has them? lol

Megatrev62
01/24/2014, 01:15 AM
Had to mention. There was debate about this tonight. Some say there's no differnce, it's all in the fish. You could get a good one or bad one,doesn't matter if it's a flame,bicolor,coral beauty or any other dwarf. So is there actual proof that the bicolor is worse than any other dwarf angel? I was saying yes because of what I've read but I've never had one in a reef. If I do not go with the bicolor I need to know for sure. And if the bicolor is more prone to nip does anyone know why? Thanks

Marshall O
01/24/2014, 08:54 AM
Here is some more insight for you:

Here is an excerpt from the following article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-09/jf/

The Bicolor Angel, Centropyge bicolor:

Also called the Oriole angel, this Indo-West Pacific species can reach a length of 6” and is the other worst choice, according to most reports. They have a reputation for being notoriously difficult to feed, and are generally the least hardy of the bunch. Poor collection techniques usually get the blame, but some specimens brought in from particular areas are said to be as likely to live as any other species. Supposedly, those from Australia are the best choice. On top of their hardiness issues, they also are more likely than other species to bite at invertebrates, and therefore are best suited for non-reef tanks.

Here is some more reading for you from this forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817612

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047839

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1484932

ken6217
01/24/2014, 09:04 AM
Had to mention. There was debate about this tonight. Some say there's no differnce, it's all in the fish. You could get a good one or bad one,doesn't matter if it's a flame,bicolor,coral beauty or any other dwarf. So is there actual proof that the bicolor is worse than any other dwarf angel? I was saying yes because of what I've read but I've never had one in a reef. If I do not go with the bicolor I need to know for sure. And if the bicolor is more prone to nip does anyone know why? Thanks

It is the individual fish and not necessarily the species.

I had an 8" French angel in my reef, which arguably is probably the worst angel to put in a reef tank, and he never touched anything.
Ken

HumbleFish
01/24/2014, 09:59 AM
There is no 100%. What we're telling you is just what the odds suggest, based upon on our experiences and reading the anecdotal accounts of others. I've personally tried two Bicolors in a reef (at different times), and both times had to use a fish trap to get them out. But there's always exceptions to the rule. I know a guy who has a Raccoon Butterfly coexisting peacefully with all of his corals. I also know folks who get "rogue" tangs, and have to remove them because they eat corals.

Megatrev62
01/24/2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to think this one over.

coral49
01/24/2014, 03:20 PM
Right now I am a lucky one. Have a Bicolor in a mixed reef for over a year and a half. Got him very small ~ 2inches added at the same time with full size flame back. No issues at all, never touches coral and over 4 inches. The 2 swim around together all day long.. it's cool. I don't buy high end corals waiting on the day when they flip.

Megatrev62
01/24/2014, 10:17 PM
I'm leaning toward getting one. I have changed my mind a few times.lol But it was always my favourite dwarf. What turned me off back in the day was their dismal survival record.i.e. diet, collection.... It seems a better prospect with regards to those things. I also do not have high end corals but do have some zoas and very little lps. If I go for it I'm hoping I'll get a fish that was much like the coral beauty and flame I had that touched absolutely nothing.

Raybee
03/14/2014, 07:47 PM
... What turned me off back in the day was their dismal survival record.i.e. diet, collection....

The ones collected from the Philippines did not do well ( bad harvesting practices ). The ones from Fiji and the Solomon Islands seem much better.

Check out this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661152

LobsterOfJustice collected hundreds of Reefcentral users reports of all angels and their reef compatibility. Somewhere in that thread is the link to a spreadsheet that lists the % of each angel that nipped/ate corals and which corals were most at risk.

Long story short: Bicolor is given a bad rap. Get it small, feed it well.
( Though individual results will vary ).

Megatrev62
03/14/2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the link. The fish is doing really well and touches nothing that I can see. He is still picky when it comes to the food. Won't touch brine shrimp., but picks at mysis. Does eat frozen cyclops and nori with gusto.

arc eye
06/10/2014, 01:46 PM
Any updates? Has it been nipping corals?