PDA

View Full Version : Adding splash guard --is there risk of silicone getting in the tank water?

dg3147
01/23/2014, 10:35 AM
I need to add a splash guard to an established tank (essentially a 3" eurobrace). The tank is up and running.

I plan on duct tapping it into place and then just running a bead of silicone along the top edge. Is there a risk of it dripping into tank and nuking it?

I may need to lower the water level for a bit to avoid this. how long will it take to cure (when is it safe to return water to normal level)?

Any other ideas on how to best avoid getting silicone into tank water?

Duvallj
01/24/2014, 02:40 AM
Whenever you are using chemicals around a tank there is a chance for it to get into the tank. This chance increases ofcourse when its right on the tank itself.

For silicone it doesn't really run that bad unless you have it in horrible excess. If your careful none should get in the tank. Even if a glob did fall in and you see it the silicone will "skin". If you pulled it out quickly minimal chemical contamination would be introduced into the tank.
Now for the irritating part. Silicone does have some potent fumes. Depending on which type you use (type1 ge acetic, type2 ge is ammonia). I'd recommend ge type2. Anyways those fumes will be drawn into the tank system as well. Ammonia isn't very life friendly. Maybe a fan would help.

As to if it's safe due to the fumes.. Not sure. Theres enough stories of people nuking their tanks with the addition of some silicone. Either it wasn't cured or had mold inhibitors. Its risky, not sure if I'd take it personally.

ca1ore
01/24/2014, 07:27 AM
I've dropped a bead or two of fresh silicone into a reef tank before - just get it out quickly and it really does no harm. The whole 'mold inhibitor' thing seems to be an urban myth and 'nuking' tanks the result of improperly cured silicone. I used to let it cure for 48 hours, but recently have changed to a full week after a bad experience.

Not sure how much of a problem the fumes would be - ammonia does dissolve quite easily in water, so that is potentially problematic (thought GE2 was a 'neutral' cure, though maybe that does mean ammonia, dunno).