PDA

View Full Version : How to setup a sea grass tank for filefish

smilesmile2008
01/23/2014, 08:43 PM
Tank for Tassel Filefish and matted Filefish

syrinx
01/23/2014, 08:51 PM
Big tank! tassled get pretty huge, and grow fast! Great fish though. I have never set up a seagrass bio type-but I have had some "planted" marine tanks. For lighting go less blue-or if you like blue, overcompensate the closer to daylight sub 10k halide with more actinic. If your using other lighting systems- figure out the same concept. Past the big tank and plant friendly lighting- I would suggest you also ask around the seahorse forum. Although the dimensions are different- sea grass tanks are most popular there.

smilesmile2008
01/23/2014, 09:14 PM
Actually I not very sure what I should feed the matted filefish. I've tried brine shrimp, and other frozen things but it still haven't ate anything. I the shop owner told me that it would feed on the little crustaceans in the tank, and I've seen it nibble the rocks.

Big tank! tassled get pretty huge, and grow fast! Great fish though. I have never set up a seagrass bio type-but I have had some "planted" marine tanks. For lighting go less blue-or if you like blue, overcompensate the closer to daylight sub 10k halide with more actinic. If your using other lighting systems- figure out the same concept. Past the big tank and plant friendly lighting- I would suggest you also ask around the seahorse forum. Although the dimensions are different- sea grass tanks are most popular there.

syrinx
01/23/2014, 09:26 PM
They generally eat aiptasia anemones,sometimes featherdusters. They may feed on isopods amphiopods and the like but prefer small polyped corals- stony or soft.. Once in good condition they will accept prepared foods-but aiptasia what their marketed food is.

smilesmile2008
01/23/2014, 09:36 PM
I'm also wanting to buy some good wrasse, do you have any good suggestions?

They generally eat aiptasia anemones,sometimes featherdusters. They may feed on isopods amphiopods and the like but prefer small polyped corals- stony or soft.. Once in good condition they will accept prepared foods-but aiptasia what their marketed food is.

syrinx
01/23/2014, 09:53 PM
Not really- not much of a wrasse man myself.