PDA

View Full Version : light system upgrade question

grtmmt
01/24/2014, 11:17 AM
Looking for advice, I have a 155 gallon bow front I have a nice mix of corals and reef friendly fish. The tank has been running for several years. My lighting system is a Cora life Aqua light retro kit. I have 4 96 watt fluorescents and 3 150 metal hi. Also 4 moon lights. It has worked fine for about 8 years. For the last month or so the fluorecents have been going on an off. I am guessing my ballast needs to be replaced. I found one on line for about $205. My question is should I go ahead and take this opportunity to upgrade my lighting and if so what would you recommend?

thegrun
01/24/2014, 12:36 PM
If you are happy with the tank I would just replace the ballast. If you want to more towards keeping more light demanding corals (and save some money long term with lower energy bills and by not needing to replace bulbs annually) then I would switch to LEDs. Quality LEDs have a high initial cost but long term they cost less to use.

MikeReef79
01/24/2014, 12:53 PM
I have the D120 full spectrum Chinese LED lights, they are cheap and have been great for me for 1 year so far! Each one is $120 or around there and you would need 2 I believe...