PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - New aquarium acceptability - edges rounded in some areas.

msayani2
01/25/2014, 04:14 AM
So I had a local tank builder make a 150g eurobraced aquarium for me along with eurobracing and a sump.

Attached are some pictures of the sump and aquarium edges where *I think* there are damages that the glass supplier had rounded off. The production supervisor told me that when the glass is cut.. some edges arent perfect adn then have to grind them down.

For tank - this is there on the top rear left hand corner as shown (i have only 1 picture - the one with the blue glass is the display tank pic). the front and sides are crystal glass and are polished are perfect. Acc. to production supervisor - there should be no loss of strength - glass was cut, ground and then tempered! But I am still uncomfortable esp. cause this is supposed to be new!!! Is this guy just BSing me through and through? PLUS one of the drilled holes has surface waviness around it and he says this happens.. more BS?? They prob screwed up the drilling.!!

For Sump - all 4 edges are ground off due to this and It kinda looks shoddy to me. Production manager says that they didnt go through the process of beveling and polishing fully as they think that its a sump and not necessary. I think they just cut corners and did the job as quick as possible. I feel like I should accept the job at all and tell them to frigging fix it and buy new glass.:(:(:worried:

Plz give me feedback ASAP as I need to determine what action to take. My gut feeling is that they are screwing me over due to mistakes they made. I think should speak to the owner of the business directly about it and ask them to buck up.

msayani2
01/25/2014, 04:19 AM
here are the pics of the sump.

apexkeeper
01/25/2014, 04:35 AM
I'm not an expert at all but to me it looks like they chipped the corners and ground it to cover it up... I'd at the very least demand a discount.

benihana
01/25/2014, 06:18 AM
I agree, I don't know of it is structural and I have never seem that in a tank or sump. It seems more like crappy workmanship than anything.

I would ask to see other tanks they are working on now along with getting the numbers of customers that they have serviced in the past and doing a reference check (maybe you have already done this? I hope?)

Since these are glass tanks, I don't think that I would be excited about putting water in them with the possibility that a seam may burst on you, as it is apparent that attention to detail isn't their strong suit

I would ask them to remake them, but that's just me

toky916
01/25/2014, 06:30 AM
I would ask for a new tank or highly discounted that's horrible work I it's not a dream tank when u have to look at the imperfection. I had a cube made came out prefect rim less no chips or anything.

FlyPenFly
01/25/2014, 08:08 AM
No big deal on the sump but no way would I accept those corners.

eb2292
01/25/2014, 09:21 AM
I hope you refused delivery on that. Especially if one of those will be your display tank. You most likely payed good money for that, and props to you for going local, the quality should be way beyond that.

ASpec
01/25/2014, 09:11 PM
There is no way I would accept that as my display tank. It was custom manufactured and should be perfect.

kcsnook
01/25/2014, 09:26 PM
Trust your gut here man!! If you are questioning this now imagine when you have water, substrate and liverock in this thing. I purchased a custom tank a year ago from a reputable builder in NJ and it was flawless.

Laser etched and beveled edges smooth as silk. If it isn't perfect to you don't buy it or dispute the charges.

You pay a premium for custom and I'm sure this is the case for you. If they are reputable talk to the owner and take pictures. Contact another manufacturer and get a second opinion and see what they have to say.

I'd be hesitant to move forward with it...Send these pictures to several different builders see what they say for your final decision but do not accept delivery until then.

a.browning
01/25/2014, 09:26 PM
I think it would be fine structurally, but as others have said, it really should be in better shape than that.

neuro
01/26/2014, 01:06 AM
wow! that's the shottiest job i've seen!!

ReefDoberman
01/26/2014, 01:48 PM
Sent a pm. Wondering who the tank maker is?

Coral Dilema
01/26/2014, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't use that for a septic tank.

Joe0813
01/26/2014, 02:30 PM
that looks awful.... not only the rounded corners but that silicon job looks just as bad. i wouldnt keep the sump either. return them both and have it done right

moondoggy4
01/26/2014, 04:02 PM
My 20 gallon from Petco looks better. Sorry to hear about this poor workmanship and I hope it all works for you.

Microcosmos
01/26/2014, 08:38 PM
I agree with the above custom should be better not worse than off the shelf. Let us know who they are and what they do for you so we can know whether they deserve our business please. Thanks!

GroktheCube
01/26/2014, 08:48 PM
A custom built tank should be better than an off the shelf mass produced one, not worse.

If they cut corners here, I'd question where else they cut corners.

apexkeeper
01/26/2014, 08:57 PM
As someone who fabricates custom stuff for a living I understand sometimes things just get screwed up and its hard to eat the cost. Parts damaged in shipping/storage, bad employees, tooling breaks, simple human error. But I would never lie about something or make excuses, I've had things over the years that weren't 100% perfect when finished but I always tell the customer what happened and offer a major discount and if they aren't happy it's time to suck it up and start the project over. Obviously your not happy so I would ask for new tanks. What they do from there will tell you exactly what kind of business they are.

Joe0813
01/26/2014, 09:52 PM
As someone who fabricates custom stuff for a living I understand sometimes things just get screwed up and its hard to eat the cost. Parts damaged in shipping/storage, bad employees, tooling breaks, simple human error. But I would never lie about something or make excuses, I've had things over the years that weren't 100% perfect when finished but I always tell the customer what happened and offer a major discount and if they aren't happy it's time to suck it up and start the project over. Obviously your not happy so I would ask for new tanks. What they do from there will tell you exactly what kind of business they are.

+1.. doesn't get much better then that

RAJOD
01/28/2014, 08:45 PM
Depends on how much you paid for it. If it was 100.00 keep it, still a great deal. :)

Hard to see with all that plastic still on the tanks, peel that off for better photo.

That blue corner has some sloppy looking silicon but is this corner out of sight? meaning no one will see it?

Yea ask for a discount, they will not want to eat all that glass. But its up to you how much they should knock off for that shoddy work.

Small claims court might be next if they blow you off.

Zacktosterone
01/28/2014, 09:00 PM
Garbage. I would demand my money back or take legal action. They didn't deliver what was promised which is false advertising

evsalty
01/28/2014, 09:05 PM
Don't accept the tanks. It is poor craftsmanship here. Like you said the 3 crystal glass panes are polished perfectly so you know they could have done that too all the panes on both tanks.

CW from the OC
01/28/2014, 09:25 PM
Worst I've ever seen, reject it ASAP.

RAJOD
01/28/2014, 10:19 PM
Print out these replies and show it to them if they try to say that is good work. We all agree its sub par.

robert s b.
01/29/2014, 01:18 AM
Garbage! If you have to go on here, post and question it. You know its a crappy job. I would be going ballistic, if I saw a custom tank that I was so excited about for as long as you waited for it getting built, the anxiety, the build up, planning, time researching, buying gear and to lead to this crap. Man, blood pressure would go through the roof!

RAJOD
01/31/2014, 10:19 PM
Garbage! , the anxiety, the build up, planning, time researching, buying gear and to lead to this crap. Man, blood pressure would go through the roof!

Lol, that was funny. I know you would go ballistic.

firebirdude
01/31/2014, 10:30 PM
As someone who fabricates custom stuff for a living I understand sometimes things just get screwed up and its hard to eat the cost. Parts damaged in shipping/storage, bad employees, tooling breaks, simple human error. But I would never lie about something or make excuses, I've had things over the years that weren't 100% perfect when finished but I always tell the customer what happened and offer a major discount and if they aren't happy it's time to suck it up and start the project over. Obviously your not happy so I would ask for new tanks. What they do from there will tell you exactly what kind of business they are.Boom. :hammer:

RAJOD
02/03/2014, 09:47 PM
Ok lets here the updates on this episode of aquarium gone bad.

What did they say? Are they redoing it?

msayani2
03/29/2014, 11:37 PM
So the tank maker is Water Wonders in Dubai, UAE. Absolutely shoddy work. You havent seen the overflow box. Looked like a kid went on a drilling spree. I did not accept the tank and they argued like crazy with me saying that I should accept it - its just a small thing no one will notice and this is what we get in dubai - suppliers cant meet that high a quality control. I think thats absolute BS as my workplace has about 200 glass sheets cut to size the work tables for engineers and NONE have any chipping. :angryfire:

Left the tank with the guy and told him that I wont take it. They have shoddy holes on the bottom too. My best guess would have been that they drilled post tempering ?? or just drilled the glass shoddily in the first place.

I think Ill have to take legal action to get my deposit back.

Ordering a tank from a different supplier.

Sometimes you hit some absolutely terrible business people with a thick-headed business vision (short term vs long term loss)

To each his own.

MarksReef
03/30/2014, 06:39 AM
I agree with everyone on here. And about the sump? It's just a sump? Really, I showed someone my sump yesterday and he said wow, nice sump LOL.< BAD excuse.
Good for you to drop it off and refuse it.

msayani2
04/29/2014, 12:40 AM
UPDATE -

Before I could place a new tank order, WW FIRED the crappy rude salesperson, is currently replacing my rear glass and overflow which previous looked like a kid made it and replacing the sump entirely with polished untempered glass. Of course with quite a bit of prodding from me

Ill be getting the tank in a week .. just waiting for the final results.

If anyone would like to help.. plz post your thoughts on my stand design as I really want to get it right.. dont want to be in a situation where the stand design has some flaws and I realize it AFTER I put the tank on with water and livestock:hmm2: