PDA

View Full Version : High nitrate problem

robleto
01/25/2014, 09:58 AM
nitrate problem at 40. Can't seem to lower it! I have 40g, with nexx canister filter assimilating a pump with carbon only and reef octopus HOB skimmer, fish only with plenty of live rock. 2 fishes, 2 shrimps, small crabs and snails. 5g water changes every week

UMass14
01/25/2014, 10:15 AM
You need to do a bigger water change and clean out the sponge in your canisiter filter more often. I couldnt keep my nitrates under 10ppm in my 29G until I found out they were hanging out in my filter media. I change 5G weekly and not running a skimmer. I clean my sponge every water change and my nitrate now is always under 5ppm. I hope this points you out in the right direction.

petere1989
01/25/2014, 10:40 AM
do you have sand or a bare bottom? you may think you have enough rock but may actually not. There needs to be something for bacteria to grow on. How much rock do you have and how big of a tank?

Peter Eichler
01/25/2014, 11:09 AM
There's really nothing to worry about with a fish only and 40ppm.

robleto
01/25/2014, 02:22 PM
I gutted my canister having only carbon bags in both cylinders with no filter pads. I have plenty of fiji rocks and sand aprox. 1 in. thick. Protein skimmer is reef octopus bh2000 that's doing all the cleaning. I'm told to get rid of canister and go with sump system but there is just no room. Also, thinking of getting coral in future but need to drop nitrate level, if possible!

40g tank, Nexx Canister (gutted no filter pads) with 2x Koralia 1150 powerheads

Q. I would like to add a CPR Aquafuge Hang-On Refugium with my setup? Will this work?

Here's my pic:

Mg4life0331
01/25/2014, 04:58 PM
I gutted my canister having only carbon bags in both cylinders with no filter pads. I have plenty of fiji rocks and sand aprox. 1 in. thick. Protein skimmer is reef octopus bh2000 that's doing all the cleaning. I'm told to get rid of canister and go with sump system but there is just no room. Also, thinking of getting coral in future but need to drop nitrate level, if possible!

40g tank, Nexx Canister (gutted no filter pads) with 2x Koralia 1150 powerheads

Q. I would like to add a CPR Aquafuge Hang-On Refugium with my setup? Will this work?

Here's my pic:

I have one and it workds great. Med size one with 4-5 inches of sand, some live rock chunks, chaeto and pods. I found a clip on led on ebay dirt cheap.