PDA

View Full Version : Differences of opinion on "self" awareness of corals

justthewife
01/25/2014, 05:41 PM
While speaking to some people about corals, I notice that some people say "oh you can put that acropora coral on one side of the tank and the toadstool on the other and they will be fine because they are on opposite sides of the tank. Others say "Oh, I would never put a toadstool in the same tank because the toadstool will sense the acro even if it is on the other side of the tank and start chemical warfare to try to kill it or itself (by accident of course from its own toxins)."

I believe in my own experiences with corals, that all the corals are very much aware of what is in the tank with it no matter what the distance. It is just a matter of how it chooses to react to it. When I introduced my acro to the tank, I had a large toadstool pretty much start releasing toxins and basically killed itself because it was so aware of the new acropora in the tank even though it was far away from it.

So who here believes the corals "know" and are very much aware and who here thinks that is not so.

I am a believer in it "knows". Just your opinion please, no arguing.

ttboys
01/25/2014, 06:06 PM
very much believe they Know

Fishmommy
01/25/2014, 06:08 PM
I believe they can sense the chemical signature of other corals in the tank.

JB63
01/25/2014, 06:26 PM
Here is a related story that aired on Discovery few years back. I do not recall the exact names of the trees nor the location, but essentially not just legged beings (humans and animals) communicate, even plants do!

It was a tree that did not care much for a specific type of flying bug. That bug, they traveled in large swarms. When such tree got attacked by such insects, it releases a chemical in the air that soon gets transported by local winds ... The neighboring trees then 'sense' that chemical, and close their flowers so the pesky insects have nothing to eat ... So, yes, most (all?) living beings, animals, plants or else (ie corals) somehow communicate. It is just that we do not all speak the same 'language'.

snorvich
01/25/2014, 06:47 PM
The reef is a battle ground and most sessile organisms use chemical warfare to inhibit encroachment on their "territory".

Many of the chemicals produced seem to be species specific, or target a particular group of organisms. Anemones produce allelopathic substances, but they only seem to effect particular species of other anemones. Corals and clams seem to be oblivious to these chemicals. Softies and sponges are the worst at engaging in chemical warfare as their chemicals seem to be very effective at destroying stony corals.

In addition to alleopathy, many corals produce sweepers that extend for the purpose of keeping the area around them clear of competitors. One of the most obvious being Galaxea which can send out sweepers that are 4 to 8 inches long (some say longer) for the purpose of killing any neighbors.

maddmaxx
01/25/2014, 07:32 PM
i believe they know there surroundings....

Petown Mike
01/25/2014, 08:14 PM
"Responds to stimuli" is a fundamental characteristic of ALL living things.

Timfish
01/25/2014, 08:24 PM
First, we all anthropomorphise when talking about out animals, some more than others. Second, even single cell bacteria chose to communicate (or not to communicate) with each other, search the term "quorum signaling" or "quorum sensing" in bacteria.

syrinx
01/25/2014, 08:37 PM
The corals or anemones would need to have receptors to certain chemicals. These receptors would have a threshold of activation. So it would be possible for them to sense another coral when the concentration reached this level- no matter how large or small the tank. Conversly if the chemical is absorbed or diluted in some way- they would not react despite the water volume or placement. They definately do react- and it is species specific.

Whiterabbitrage
01/25/2014, 11:04 PM
I would like to believe they are aware....but I think Tim is right. It's just chemical reactions.
I don't care though, I still talk to my corals and pretend they have moods. Romanticizing makes life more interesting.