PDA

View Full Version : New to reef keeping and looking for suggestions and a good book

rmc2fc
01/25/2014, 11:14 PM
I've been keeping and breeding freshwater fish for a number of years. I've recently decided to tear down my planted discus tank and replace it with a reef ready 120.

I was getting ready to begin buying equipment, rock, and sand and thought I should take a step back and get input from others.

I'd like to keep soft corrals, LPS and maybe in the future some SPS. I've got a marineland pro light that I believe will be sufficient for this(4 x 54w T5HO and 2 150W MH).

My initial thoughts on rock was 75 - 90 lbs of Pukani from BRS. I'd like to keep the scape relatively simple. It seems like the reviews on Pukani are pretty positive. I'm planning on a 2.5" sand bed. Thoughts?

I'm still undecided on a skimmer. I've been scanning ebay & craigslist for a nice used or new skimmer. While on a budget, I definitely want a skimmer that will keep up with a medium(heavy) stocked coral tank one day? Any recommendations?

Also, seems like there are a number of different types of salts at various price points, what do others recommend?

Are there any good books or websites that do a good job laying out proper steps to setting up a nice reef tank? I want to do this right.

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Ryan

Whiterabbitrage
01/25/2014, 11:32 PM
Someone who reads books? awesome. The New Marine Aquarium Step By Step Guide is a good starter one for an over view. Then I'd double check things online to ge other people's experiences. Hope you end up liking reefing.

KirbyBTF
01/26/2014, 01:30 AM
Check out these books.
The conscientious marine aquarist - Bob fenner
Coral propagation and aquaculture - Anthony calfco
The nano reef handbook - Chris brightwell (helps you think small ;))

I've finished all but coral propagation and aquaculture. About half way through it, and even after reading a ton of books this particular book has taught me SO MUCH. It goes in depth on topics most beginner books just scratch the surface with. Read this after the conscientious marine aquarist.

rmc2fc
01/26/2014, 08:04 AM
I bought The New Marine Aquarium Step by Step and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist this morning. I'll pick up the others once I'm done reading these.

I'm looking forward to their arrival. Thanks!