PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a return pump

Zante
01/26/2014, 09:30 AM
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but if anyone knows about pumps it's someone with a reef.

I am upgrading my discus tank to a 72" x 18" tank, 24" tall.

I will have a sump, a refugium in the sump and an extensive spray panel for the return from the sump which will be approximately 15" x 20". This way I will have a tank-wide flow from one end to the other.

I was looking at something that would push 6,000 litres (1500 US gallons) effective, not nominal. That means that the flow will have to be 6k at 140cm (55 inches) height.

I also want the possibility of dialing it down if possible.

I have had a look at the Eheim catalog, but I haven't found anything as powerful. Someone suggested a Jebao DC 9000.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Is the Jebao pump actually a good one?

Mark Bianco
01/26/2014, 10:47 AM
Here is a link to Reeflo Pumps specification page I have the Hammerhead gold and have been very happy with it,

http://reeflopumps.com/

Mark

Zante
01/26/2014, 11:04 AM
Are they available in the UK?

modder man
01/26/2014, 11:50 AM
I have one of the jebao's and i am loving it. So much water and so power efficient at the same time..

viggen
01/26/2014, 10:17 PM
Remember you only need to turn the tank over 2-5 times a hour via the sump.

Spray bars can work as a return but they add a lot of extra head pressure and are also difficult to hide or eliminate splashing depending on how you mount it.

I just use a single return on my tank withth e water being pushed by a waterblaster 5000. Pushes a little over 1000 gph and will push water 5-6 ft across my 10ft tank.

Many like the new cd pumps with their variable flow rates which might be a good option for you so you can electronically dial the pump back vs turning a valve to create more head pressure

Zante
01/27/2014, 01:44 AM
Remember you only need to turn the tank over 2-5 times a hour via the sump.

Spray bars can work as a return but they add a lot of extra head pressure and are also difficult to hide or eliminate splashing depending on how you mount it.

That is why I am looking for 1500gph. That way, once the spray panel is accounted for I will still have a good flow. Also I'm talking of a spray panel, not a spray bar. The added pressure shouldn't be as much.

I will make it with black PVC and place it at the end opposite the weir. That end will be covered in plants and againdt a wall.

I just use a single return on my tank withth e water being pushed by a waterblaster 5000. Pushes a little over 1000 gph and will push water 5-6 ft across my 10ft tank.

Many like the new cd pumps with their variable flow rates which might be a good option for you so you can electronically dial the pump back vs turning a valve to create more head pressure

Indeed, and the Jebao DC 9000 seems to be my best bet so far.