PDA

View Full Version : How do people prevent their nems from getting sucked into Tunzes?

GroktheCube
01/26/2014, 11:54 AM
I'm currently in the process of going BB in my tank. When that's done in a few weeks, I'm planning on getting a BTA, which will be my first host anemone.

I've read lots of horror stories about nems getting sucked up into PHs, and lots of recommendations to cover/shield them.

I know there are foam covers made for Vortech, but I've never seen anything along those lines for Tunze. Are the slots in the PHs small enough that they are not a concern with Tunzes, or do people take another route?

trackhazard
01/26/2014, 05:45 PM
I think they key is keeping the anemone happy. Happy anemone = stationary anemone. Keep water good, make sure no one is picking on it and give it the flow it wants. For BTA, they like to keep their feet hidden but like their tentacles in the current. Mine seem to extend out to the fullest when there is a pulsing flow vs. constant laminar flow. I use a combination of tunze and vortec in my tank.

With that said, its always a crapshoot when dealing with nems. Too bad tunze doesn't make a cover but I bet you can use a fine mesh like panty hose or something similar as a cover. The hard part would be swapping it out to keep it clean and prevent flow restriction.

-Charlie