PDA

View Full Version : live rock smell even after reincarnation ?

yusor
01/27/2014, 03:18 AM
After having many problems with my new tank while still cycling ,
I discovered that the reason was live rock .. I doubt that the store should be selling it and I am new to this and didn't realize the amount of dead organisms that was in it until I smelled it in the tank :headwally:

I removed them by hand by using BBQ sticks and common curing process , it did not work to remove the dead organisms and of course the smell ,

reincarnation was the thing to do , I did it ( but not using a pure bleach product , it's 50% bleach because pure bleach is not available for me now)

the result was pleasing as the smell decreased a lot but there's still this fishy egg smell :sad1:

is that normal ? or I should repeat the process ? or filtering and a carbon bag would solve the problem ? :headwalls:

Thank you all for helping me previously , bare with me until I fix it please :)

Blown 346
01/27/2014, 03:22 AM
I would put the rock in a bin, a powerhead and heater crank the heater up. The rock should be in a dark place, if you have a lid for the bin use it to cut down on smell. Cure the rock this way for a few weeks. doing 100 % water changes every 2 days or so. Grab the rock and shake it to remove any die off before each water change. Sounds like you got 100% uncured rock.

yusor
01/27/2014, 09:31 AM
thanks I'll do that, am wondering why dark place ?

yusor
01/27/2014, 09:32 AM
saltwater while curing , right ?

McGarnicle
01/27/2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah use saltwater

Sugar Magnolia
01/27/2014, 09:56 AM
Yusor, unfortunately when you soaked the live rock in the bleach you killed off all the beneficial organisms that make the rock "live" so basically what you have now is just dead base rock. You'll have to start the cycling process all over again. If you still smell a faint whiff of bleach on the rock it'll need to be rinsed really well and left out to dry for a week or so before you begin the cycling process all over again.

Jone
01/27/2014, 11:57 AM
Always a gamble with llive rock..I have some,but aquired it slowly over time and did have a few bugs in my old system but was very fortunate that they all were welcomed visitors..Heard horror stories of some live rock people have..You paid alot of money to make so much more work for yourself..start with dry rock initially.Far less money to buy dry rock also...your doing to whole cycle anyway,plus with dry rock your not getting any bug/pest issues..Maybe some phosphate issues with dry rock but that is the only Possible IF...Big deal,,verses the problem with live rock..No thanks,,not for me..There's tooooo many bugs to worry about,,I just avoided the whole bug/pest topic with dry rock...This is to be enjoyable hobby not a roller coaster of if something is a problem live rock or not.Just my opinion..HTH

cvsailer
01/27/2014, 01:51 PM
Always a gamble with llive rock..I have some,but aquired it slowly over time and did have a few bugs in my old system but was very fortunate that they all were welcomed visitors..Heard horror stories of some live rock people have..You paid alot of money to make so much more work for yourself..start with dry rock initially.Far less money to buy dry rock also...your doing to whole cycle anyway,plus with dry rock your not getting any bug/pest issues..Maybe some phosphate issues with dry rock but that is the only Possible IF...Big deal,,verses the problem with live rock..No thanks,,not for me..There's tooooo many bugs to worry about,,I just avoided the whole bug/pest topic with dry rock...This is to be enjoyable hobby not a roller coaster of if something is a problem live rock or not.Just my opinion..HTH

I could not agree more Jone. When I set up my 92 gallon FOWLR I started exclusively with dry rock for all of the reasons you mentioned. One year later I don't have any of the issues that's been discussed.

yusor
01/27/2014, 02:59 PM
Yea I learned it the hard way lol , but am happy I did the reincarnation as I found many many fireworms.

Sugar Magnolia
01/27/2014, 03:03 PM
Yea I learned it the hard way lol , but am happy I did the reincarnation as I found many many fireworms.

Those were likely beneficial bristleworms. It's uncommon to get an actual fireworm in home aquaria.

yusor
01/27/2014, 06:35 PM
it could be better to start with live rock,
but maybe not for beginners .. in my case I had a lot of problems that I don't know how to fix though I did my research .. it would be a good idea for a person with more experience in reef.

and the worms were all red and full of spikes
very similar to this :

https://www.google.com.sa/search?q=fire+worm&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yPrmUuWZCKaz0QXS8YH4Aw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=533#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=qqXETJB2wgU9mM%253A%3BfUEedahsVCWefM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.coral.org%252Ffiles%252Fimages%2 52F1639-FuzzyOrtho.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.coral.org%252F_111%3B768%3B512