PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Mistake

SilverAvia
01/27/2014, 04:32 PM
So I just got home with my new tank stand and have run into an issue, my sump refugium won't fit. the tank stand is 12 inches wide and 24inches long and 28 inches high. My refugium is 24 long by 14 wide and 15 inches tall...HELP!!!!

hub81
01/27/2014, 04:40 PM
Had the same issue myself, ended up just running the sump next to the stand inside a Rubbermaid container. Then later I built a bigger custom stand designed for it. Worked out really nice. the issue with mine was the length so I just build an addition to the current stand and in the empty top space decorated it with fake fish plants and a ship. Thought about having some fish stuffed but decided it might freak out my live ones. LOL

SilverAvia
01/27/2014, 04:48 PM
My husband's idea is to take out the center beam and put two beams on either side of the refugium so it sticks out the back, this is the aqueon oak stand btw.

hub81
01/27/2014, 04:55 PM
How many gallons is the tank?

SilverAvia
01/27/2014, 05:03 PM
55 gallons

hub81
01/27/2014, 05:10 PM
I would just be real careful, that middle support keeps it all together. Offsetting it could cause the stand to collapse. I am sure they didn't use 2X4's most likely 1X's. I think that tank will weigh roughly 625Lbs with just water in it.

Kyle918
01/27/2014, 05:31 PM
I don't think removing the center brace is a good idea. Unless the four corners of the stand are 2x4s and have bracing to prevent buckling, it could collapse. Basically if it came with a center brace, it isn't designed to be without out. It may hold but if anyone were to bump it or water shifts while cleaning the tank, it could collapse.

Salt water weighs about 8.61 lbs per gallon, plus the tank, sand and rock...it is a of weight on the top of that stand.

Maxxumless
01/27/2014, 06:01 PM
Buy some kind of furniture that would sit next to the tank and use it's innards as a sump storage area. May have to build a stand for the sump this way. Otherwise, it may be time to learn how to make your own sump and send yours back. Cutting supports on a stand, especially a pre-build one, isn't a wise idea.

dkeller_nc
01/27/2014, 06:16 PM
My husband's idea is to take out the center beam and put two beams on either side of the refugium so it sticks out the back, this is the aqueon oak stand btw.

Absolutely not. Commercial stands aren't very sturdy in the first place, and weakening it in any way by removing structural members could easily cost you thousands in water damage when the tank hits the floor.

julie180
01/27/2014, 06:41 PM
Consider it one of many unfortunate and expensive lessons that come with this hobby.
I agree that cutting a commercial stand is a bad idea.
Find a tank that will fit...craigslist, local reef forum. Since its a sump, it does not have to look good.

chris.francis14
01/27/2014, 06:46 PM
I know you are probably eager to get it set up and filled, but I would either build a new stand (over sized to allow for all the goodies that go underneath) or look on Craigslist like others have mentioned.

Good luck and keep us updated with your build.

SilverAvia
01/27/2014, 07:42 PM
My husband can be quite good at building things he is going to reinforce the whole stand using it as a shell and make it with more support for the tank, he doesn't think it has enough, then redo the bottom so my sump will fit, he was going to build the stand to begin with but he wants it too look really nice and when he builds it's more functionality rather then pretty, so this way he doesn't have to worry about the front, will be making a trip to lowes for plumbs supplies, and two by fours. It's a beautiful looking stand but I believe he can improve it greatly, he used some old kitchen cabinets to build my stand for my 40 gallon fresh water tank it's rock solid, he reinforced it also and when he was done I painted it.