PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock From Live Rock n Reef PLEASE HELP IDENTIFY

chaase68
01/27/2014, 05:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I am setting up my first reef tank and got about 50 lbs of Live Rock From Live Rock N Reef, Primo Deco. This stuff is great and is filled with life, it even came with a sea urchin and some sea cucumbers. I have had this rock in the tank for about two months and its still surprising me. The fact is I still don't know what half of this stuff is and was wondering if you guys could help me identify them. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Picture 1: I just noticed this today.
Picture 2: No Idea
Picture 3: The big shell is from a crab but if you look at the little fan type of colony is this a coral?
Picture 4: If you can see the two small circles, they look like some sort of eggs that have been appearing throughout the tank?
Picture 5: Is the orange in the photo some sort of coral?

JoelA7
01/27/2014, 05:21 PM
#4 if I am right is a type of bubble algae. Years ago I had a 65 mixed reef and once this stuff got started it never ever was eradicated. Nothing ate it. It crusts over the live rock prevents other stuff from growing. I just worked at it knocking off the bubbles, trying not to break them, and then netting them out.

chaase68
01/27/2014, 05:24 PM
Please Help Identify:

Picture 1B: What type of shellfish is this? There seems to be two types attached to the rocks. The own with the green on it and the other type in front of it with the purple?

Picture 2B: What is that orange looking thing? Also here you can see a better picture of the other type of shellfish.

Picture 3B: Here you can see what looks like some sort of polyp coming out of a tube?

Again I really appreciate all the answers guys! I can't wait to get everything up and running.

JWClark
01/27/2014, 06:14 PM
Guessing 1 is some type of polychaete worm. 3 is feather dusters. 4 bubble algae. 5 possibly some type of sponge but photo is a little blurry. 2B possible a feather duster that is not out--keep an eye on it and see what comes out (assuming it is not dead). 3b could be some kind of LPS? Do the arms look like tentacles or feathers?

JWClark
01/27/2014, 06:16 PM
For 1b is there actually any critter in the shells or are the shells just part of the rock. My guess would be that these are old shells that cot incorporated into the rock during CaCO3 deposition by other organisms.

captjab
01/27/2014, 06:43 PM
1. bristle worm
2. majano anemone or an aiptasia
3. Small feather dusters
4. Valonia bubble algae
5. Possibly a type of sponge

1b. Mussel
2b. Sea squirt Tunicate
3b. A type of non photosynthetic tube coral.

These are all guesses and sometimes it can be tough to ID through pictures.

chaase68
01/27/2014, 10:24 PM
Guessing 1 is some type of polychaete worm. 3 is feather dusters. 4 bubble algae. 5 possibly some type of sponge but photo is a little blurry. 2B possible a feather duster that is not out--keep an eye on it and see what comes out (assuming it is not dead). 3b could be some kind of LPS? Do the arms look like tentacles or feathers?

They look more like tentacles.

chaase68
01/27/2014, 10:25 PM
For 1b is there actually any critter in the shells or are the shells just part of the rock. My guess would be that these are old shells that cot incorporated into the rock during CaCO3 deposition by other organisms.

There are critters in there they open and close all the time!!!

chaase68
01/27/2014, 10:26 PM
1. bristle worm
2. majano anemone or an aiptasia
3. Small feather dusters
4. Valonia bubble algae
5. Possibly a type of sponge

1b. Mussel
2b. Sea squirt Tunicate
3b. A type of non photosynthetic tube coral.

These are all guesses and sometimes it can be tough to ID through pictures.

Awesome! Is there anything that I should be concerned with on these? Should I remove anything?

captjab
01/27/2014, 10:40 PM
If I'm correct on the ID's, #2 & #4 are pest and should be dealt with. A search on ReefCentral will get you started in the right direction on tactics for dealing with them.