PDA

View Full Version : Clams..

lrs183
01/27/2014, 05:26 PM
So, I've seen posts on here recently with neat and beautiful clams. I'm pretty intrigued by all of them and I think it would be neat to have at least one in my nano one day.

What's a pretty one that isn't going to be too big for a 21g?

As well, what is there to expect out of them? Such as tank requirements, salinity, parameters and so forth.

I'm pretty big into only taking on challenges that I know I can succeed with in terms of this aquarium. So far I have my fish and a Kenya coral and torch coral. All are doing great.

Input welcome!

wrott
01/27/2014, 05:45 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=41

CrypticLifeStyl
01/28/2014, 08:34 AM
Another option if your close to the ocean is having some local clams. I grabbed some back in october, and they are still alive, and growing. Obviously not as pretty, but a option.

lrs183
01/28/2014, 01:22 PM
I'm not close at all, unfortunately. Would be neat to have a tank setup for wild caught things one day, though.

MondoBongo
01/28/2014, 01:40 PM
what are the dimensions on your 21 gallon? crocea clams are reasonably hardy, and don't grow ginormous. they usually max out between 5 - 7".

a derasa would likely be too large.

the rub with clams is stability for all params (which can be difficult in smaller tanks), good calcium and alkalinity numbers, and arguably most important, lots of good quality light.

here is a little more insight:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357396

GHill762
01/28/2014, 02:05 PM
you can do a crocea or even a maxima in that size tank. I had a crocea that did very well in my 15g for a year, it is now doing very well in my 40g :)

once you go clam, you'll never go back.. just make sure all of your livestock is clam-safe.. some fish/inverts like to pick at clam mantles..

sandwi54
01/28/2014, 02:37 PM
I think crocea is the only one that will fit your tank size. Unfortunately, it's also the least hardy in the family and has the highest lighting requirement. Maintaining proper alk and cal in a small 21g is going to be the biggest challenge for you, as clams use up alk very fast. My four clams plus a few LPS use almost 1 dKh a day in my 150g, so you will definitely need an automated dosing pump to supply alk and cal in your tank, or be very diligent with manual dosing, two to three times a day.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:12 PM
I am sorry for the long delay in responding, been busy these last couple of days. With that said, I keep my tank at around 10-11Alk and 460-480 Calcium. As of right now I only have a candy cane SPS and a Torch SPS so the drainage is minimal at the moment. Obviously that will increase over time. I've actually found as of right now that maintaining these numbers has been rather easy but that could be due to the salt mix I use as well as the dosing that I do once a week (as twice a week was on the fast track to producing too high of numbers).

With that said, do any of you have a specific clam you would recommend? There's one i remember seeing some time ago that was a very deep, vibrant blue color with hints of black mixed in that I absolutely loved. I really think that one by itself got me into liking clams. Though, it was just a solid look at it and then moving on so I didn't get a name =/

I am actually in the process currently of trying to figure out just where and how powerful my lights are. I am pretty foreign in the area of lighting so I am trying to get insight.

cloak
01/30/2014, 07:17 PM
Check this out.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/magazine/clams

HTH.

lrs183
01/30/2014, 07:18 PM
Thank you! I will give it a look when I am home. I'll report back with some favorites.