PDA

View Full Version : Slide out sump?

Mpy
01/27/2014, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know if this has been done before? I know with a very large sump it would be rather unfeasible, but for a 10g ish volume sump 80lbs should be feasible have in a pull out system.

At the moment this is a conceptual preponderance, but I am trying to come up with ideas for a stand and sump for a 25g cube.

r-balljunkie
01/27/2014, 09:49 PM
checkout V1rotate's thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767159&highlight=reef+in+the+sky

stackrat
01/28/2014, 08:22 AM
Here's one. http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=377036

bravanc
01/28/2014, 08:24 AM
Here is my slide out for the 220 build. i ended up using roller wheels too for added support.

ThisGuy12
01/28/2014, 09:07 AM
Here is my slide out for the 220 build. i ended up using roller wheels too for added support. Are you not concerned about the steel span bowing under the weight? How is your weight distribution of the DT?

I would put at least one support pipe in there if I were you.

Concept is cool though. I would imagine you would plumb it with flexible tubing to truly make the sump able to be pulled out and in all the way.

bravanc
01/28/2014, 09:37 AM
Are you not concerned about the steel span bowing under the weight? How is your weight distribution of the DT?

I would put at least one support pipe in there if I were you.

Concept is cool though. I would imagine you would plumb it with flexible tubing to truly make the sump able to be pulled out and in all the way.

the steel span is a true 2X4 1/8" tubing and yes the returns are flex tubing to pull out. Tanks stand is truly over built with 2x2 tubing. It has been in service since April of 2012

woodnaquanut
01/28/2014, 09:59 AM
Here is my slide out for the 220 build. i ended up using roller wheels too for added support.

That is very cool. Do you use the slide out feature much? I'd love to see pics of it all set up.

bravanc
01/28/2014, 10:22 AM
That is very cool. Do you use the slide out feature much? I'd love to see pics of it all set up.

not gonna lie the sump is heavy even with the rollers. my daughter helps me pull it out when i do clean it and helps push it back. I'll have to take a picure of the slide out and everything running. i only have a picture of the sump and tank. i have a trial picture with it running during testing

Mpy
01/28/2014, 07:41 PM
Wow, I did not expect this to be something this many people have done. All of these seem to be on larger tanks too which surprised me. They do all seem to be with steel frame stands though.

mattmann88
07/04/2014, 01:03 PM
not gonna lie the sump is heavy even with the rollers. my daughter helps me pull it out when i do clean it and helps push it back. I'll have to take a picure of the slide out and everything running. i only have a picture of the sump and tank. i have a trial picture with it running during testing

Could you put up a pic of your return pump and lines? I want to do a setup similar, but am not sure how to do my return lines so when I pull my sump out my pump can come with it, I plan on using a submersible pump.

reepher315
07/04/2014, 01:10 PM
Im building my new stand with hinges and a door on the end so I can slide my sump out and not mess with the support much I do like that design though. My current stand I have to completely empty the sump to get it out without a mess.