PDA

View Full Version : Angler Safe Haven?

Biotopes
01/28/2014, 09:58 AM
Aloha!

In my next tank, I was thinking about an frogfish. Would a big enough anemone be able to defend any type of anemone crab (or even clown!)?

I haven't really decided on an frogfish, but I definitely like the oddball type fish. Do you think there's any chance this could work?

Mahalo!

Winwood
01/28/2014, 02:22 PM
Clowns don't spend all their time in the their anemone. Throughout the day they will venture out to explore their surroundings. Anglers are masters at disguise and my guess is the clowns would be ambushed sooner or later becoming an expensive meal.

Biotopes
01/28/2014, 03:26 PM
I did think of that, would crabs or an animal that stays IN the anemone be relatively safe?

jarrod13
01/28/2014, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't bet on it.

Winwood
01/28/2014, 07:05 PM
I think this is the problem most people who love frogfish/anglers, of which I am one, face. It is also the reason I am not currently keeping any. Basically anything they can fit in their mouth, can and probably will be on the menu.

Perhaps a small tank plumbed into your main system might be a sensible option.

mbingha
01/28/2014, 07:11 PM
I think another issue that has been overlooked is, will the angler be safe from the anemone? Since it is constantly perching I'd be worried that the anemone would kill it, and at the same time it kill the nem with its venom. I see it ending horribly for all involved. I absolutely love anglers (and triggers, puffers, filefish, box fish, et.) But don't keep any because i can't keep them in my reef so I see and understand your dilemma.

Biotopes
01/28/2014, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the answers everybody.

That thought did not occur to me mbingha! That wouldn't be a good thing at all, for the frogfish anyway!

I think I'll just go with the frogfish, maybe a lion fish, and coral/macroalgae. Thanks for the advice! :D

mbingha
01/28/2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the answers everybody.

That thought did not occur to me mbingha! That wouldn't be a good thing at all, for the frogfish anyway!

I think I'll just go with the frogfish, maybe a lion fish, and coral/macroalgae. Thanks for the advice! :D

No problem. Thats what the forum's for :thumbsup: Enjoy your fish!

jarrod13
01/29/2014, 07:14 AM
Since it is constantly perching I'd be worried that the anemone would kill it, and at the same time it kill the nem with its venom. .

Anglers do not have venom glands, nor are they poisonous in any way so there is no threat of them hurting anything... unless of course they eat it lol.

mbingha
01/29/2014, 08:06 AM
Anglers do not have venom glands, nor are they poisonous in any way so there is no threat of them hurting anything... unless of course they eat it lol.

Good to know. I was thinking they were similar to lions.