PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon stocking list - Overstocked?

LagginPotato
01/28/2014, 10:27 AM
So I am getting ready to set up a 55 gallon long reef tank. So I've made a stocking list of all the fish and inverts I'd like to know what you guys think of it. So here is the fish I hope to keep in the tank:

-(1) Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish | Tank-Bred (according to LA, the tank bred version is "semi-aggressive" instead of the usual "aggressive")
-(1) Yellow & Black Heraldi Anglefish (yes, I know i'm taking the risk of it eating my corals, but LA says it will eat only LPS corals, which I won't be getting much of.)
-(1) McCosker's Flasher Wrasse [Male]
-(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
-(1) Starcki Damsel
-(1) Kaudern's Cardinal | Tank-Bred
-(1) Firefish, Purple
-(1) Jawfish, Yellowhead
-(1) Clown Goby, Green

So that is total of nine fish, 2 of which grow to be just under half a foot and the rest around 3 inches. Do you think that is a bit overstocked? And would all these fish get along together? Also, can you let me know what you think of the invert list? Here it is:

-(1) Long Tentacle Anemone, Purple (Host for Maroon Clown)
-(2) Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
-(2) Blood Red Fire Shrimp
-(??) Snails --- Which kind are best and how many for a 55 gallon?
-(1) Fighting Conch
-(??) Hermit Crabs --- Again, which type and how many?
-(1) Emerald Crab
-(1) Blue & Pink Star

What do you think of the invert list? And as I said above I don't know how many or which species of hermits an snails to get.

Also in the tank will be about a 5 inch sandbed for the jawfish and the starfish. About 55 lbs of live rock and plenty of corals.

yodacroz
01/28/2014, 11:18 AM
might be a little overstocked. Some has to do with your water changes and filtration too

dppitone
01/29/2014, 08:04 AM
What is the system config, including sumps, fuges, turnover, etc?

MikeandNicole
01/29/2014, 02:49 PM
I would hesitate to put the gold stripe maroon in a 55g.
They can become very aggressive.
Left in the tank alone, the fish will become female.
I would hesitate to put a female maroon in anything other than a very large tank or a tank with aggressive tank mates. You could get a peaceful one, but it could also go the other way.
I would also hesitate to put the starki damsel in the tank. Damsels can be very territorial.

betamed
01/29/2014, 09:23 PM
I would skip the clown and angel.