PDA

View Full Version : Candy Cane Coral

lrs183
01/28/2014, 10:22 PM
Hello!

So today I bought a candy cane coral with about 5 heads on it for 25 dollars. Looked very healthy and seemed like a good buy so I'm happy.

Anyways, I was under the impression that they were happy with just photosynthetic feeding and maybe something like phytoplankton dosed once or twice a week. But tonight I look in and instead of seeing nice inflated heads I see skeleton and tons of sweepers lining them! It was a neat surprise but I've come to understand they can actually be fed.

Any input? I'd greatly appreciate it

alf03
01/29/2014, 03:44 AM
I feed mine pellets every so often... Helps with growth but they seem to be on the faster side in growing for LPS even without any feeding... They don't usually have tentacles for me until after feeding for me...

lrs183
01/29/2014, 08:30 PM
Well it definitely opens up at night after I do lights out. It's really neat to see it to be honest. Pellets huh? How large of a pellet are you feeding them? And what's your take on each individual head being fed?

Maaka
01/29/2014, 08:33 PM
Each head can be fed a pellet and I feed mine shrimp pellets when I'm in the mood. The pellets are probably around a half a centimeter long. also I sometimes target feed brine or mysis shrimp from a turkey baster.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:08 PM
Hm, so likely the tiny pellets I have for my fish would be too small? Do you try to hit the sweeper with the pellet or what?

Maaka
01/29/2014, 10:16 PM
Any size pellets will work those are just the ones I choose to use. I just aim for their mouths at the center and the tentacles close over it.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:23 PM
Ok, thank you very much! They are wide open again tonight so I figure I will give it a go.

Maaka
01/29/2014, 10:28 PM
It is not necessary to feed them but it is fun and very interesting to watch.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:30 PM
Ok! Well, I will give it a shot and if the pellet goes blasting away elsewhere and it turns into a big failure I will likely not try it again as I'm not looking to go causing a nitrate spike trying to feed this thing, haha.

I watched a saddle nem eat yesterday and it was pretty fun to watch. Hopefully this thing has a similar level of stickiness so the pellet doesn't blow away. Thing I should kill the flow?

Maaka
01/29/2014, 10:41 PM
I never do. Once the tentacles has it it's pretty secure.

I love feeding my brittle star small pieces of shrimp. It gets so fat lol.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 10:52 PM
My brittles are all so small, lol. I'll give an update here soon!

PS, about that saddle nem, they have a super sticky grip! Don't get one unless you're ok with your fish being at risk, haha. Random but had to say it.

Maaka
01/29/2014, 11:10 PM
Why did I say brittle I meant serpent star. That's what I get for posting on here when I should be sleeping lol.

And thanks for the heads up on the nem. My GF would kill me if I got something that ate her blenny.

lrs183
01/29/2014, 11:20 PM
So I used my baster and it worked out perfectly. You were right when saying once they've got a hold of it it's good to go. I think only one pellet got away and that's because it never made contact. Was neat and fun to do. My fiance will want to see it next time I'm sure, she may even be a little disappointed that I fed it right before she's getting home from work, lol.

Yeah, my fresh water tank has enough anger issues in it. I went the peaceful route with this tank and I am happy, haha. Figured I'd tell ya.

Maaka
01/30/2014, 08:19 AM
Glad it worked out.

Yeah I had a freshwater tank for about 3 months until I gave up (puffer ate all the fins off my other fish). I also went peaceful with a nice reef tank. lol