PDA

View Full Version : Kessels along with BML?

Mhay
01/29/2014, 11:54 AM
I have started my research for lighting and holy crap is there a lot out there! I have decided to go with 2 Kessel A360W for my 75 gallon tank. To start it will just be FOWLR but I would like to turn it into a full on reef tank. From what I can see the recommendation is about 3-4 A360W to properly support everything. As much as I would love to have 4 Kessel lights that gets a little pricey. I have seen some people mix it will the BuildMyLED and was wondering the best way to do so and what to pick. I am new to the whole lighting world and reading up on as much as possible and trying to understand as much of it as I can but there is so much information out there! I guess my first question is: is there an issue with mixing the Kessels with the BML? If not, how do I know or figure out which lights to pick for the BML and how many? I will start with those questions, I know as I continue to read up more I will have more questions brought up but I think that will do for now. :lmao:

Thanks!

Mhay
01/30/2014, 09:11 AM
Any input?

Ssteve
01/30/2014, 09:33 AM
I would personally recommend that you just add a couple t5 bulbs in the canopy instead of more LEDs. T5's are rock solid proven, and while some have had decent success with LEDs, I wouldn't say they are 100% proven. I've run kessils on several tanks now and liked them other than they struggle with certain colors.. IMO they have the best look of any light out there since it's a single point light source though... So I just added two to a t5 fixture with two bulbs, and now those colors I struggled with are how I expected them to be.

alton
01/30/2014, 12:47 PM
I run one 14k buildmyled light on my 125 and it does well with softies, looks great, and no shadows. If I was to decide to start SPS I would have to order another.

FlyPenFly
01/30/2014, 01:45 PM
2 Kessils and 2 14k BML's would be a killer combo.

I would just start with the 2 Kessils and add lights as necessary. Spend the money on livestock and more quality skimmers and circulation pumps.