PDA

View Full Version : question on maze brain frag

Mcgeezer
01/30/2014, 10:05 AM
I got a really nice frag of Maze Brain for only $5. I drip acclimated it when i got home and it has some really nice colors under the actinics.

I currently have it in the sand bed which is probably the best place for it to be, but my question is....how long will it take to acclimate to where the tentacles will begin sweeping for food at night? I would of course like to spot feed at least once weekly

ptreef
01/30/2014, 10:07 AM
probably will see them after lights go out tonight. Usually it is with in an hr after lights out.

Mcgeezer
01/30/2014, 10:24 AM
probably will see them after lights go out tonight. Usually it is with in an hr after lights out.

will they come out if i have the lunar LED's on? or does it have to be no lights at all?

MondoBongo
01/30/2014, 11:29 AM
i assume you're talking about platygyra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platygyra

i have a large Platgyra sp. in my tank, it is hit or miss with the sweepers. sometimes as soon as i feed he throws them out all over the place, regardless of what time it is. on the other hand sometimes i won't see any of his filaments for weeks.

then some days he decides to go to war with a nearby chalice and my gorgs and it is filaments everywhere.

it may vary species to species but i've found mine kind of does his own thing.

Sk8r
01/30/2014, 12:09 PM
I've had good success simply feeding the fish ground up dried jumbo krill. It's messy, but fish and corals love it. I've grown a lot of stony, and maze brains are tough: they fend for themselves. Just keep it where it is, plenty of light, sitting on the sand, and feed the tank. It'll eat at whatever hour it wants.

kurt_n
01/30/2014, 01:28 PM
i assume you're talking about platygyra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platygyra

i have a large Platgyra sp. in my tank, it is hit or miss with the sweepers. sometimes as soon as i feed he throws them out all over the place, regardless of what time it is. on the other hand sometimes i won't see any of his filaments for weeks...

Agree with this. If we're talking platygyra, if you don't see sweepers or tentacles don't assume something is wrong. I have a rather large one and rarely see tentacles anymore. And trust me, it's not sick! I'm just assuming it's getting what it needs from the lighting.

I used to spot feed it fairly often with Two Little Fishies "Zoplan" even when it didn't show any feeding tentacles. The tentacles would appear pretty quick, so don't feel you need to wait for the tentacles to spot feed.

Mcgeezer
01/30/2014, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys