PDA

View Full Version : standpipe advice??

jfeva0049
01/30/2014, 05:28 PM
Hi so im really late to the standpipe party. I have been looking into adding a standpipe to my overflow. I have a TruVu tank with built in overflow. it is a single 1 inch drain hole. right now i dont have any pipe in my overflow. i dont think a second hole is an option, so is a durso my best bet?? the tank originally came with this to insert in the bulkhead hole; http://www.truvuaquariums.com/truvu-dls-12inch-pre-filter-w-pipe.html

any advice ??? thanks for the help.

mcgyvr
01/30/2014, 06:18 PM
Is the current overflow causing problems? (mainly noise)..
If it ain't broke.. don't fix it..

jfeva0049
01/30/2014, 06:26 PM
Is the current overflow causing problems? (mainly noise)..
If it ain't broke.. don't fix it..

it is noisy but i have been dealing with it but i just thought why not add to help bring the noise down. is there any downside to installing a single durso standpipe?? thanks.

bellis31
01/30/2014, 06:34 PM
Usually when you have a single drain being used for the overflow the largest reason for noise is flow. If you can dial down or divert some return flow it will slow up the water and become more quiet.

uncleof6
01/30/2014, 06:47 PM
Usually when you have a single drain being used for the overflow the largest reason for noise is flow. If you can dial down or divert some return flow it will slow up the water and become more quiet.

Although what you are stating is correct, e.g. slowing the flow will quiet things down, slowing the flow is one of the worst things you can do to a system: Most systems are not flowing enough to begin with.

For a single drain hole, the durso standpipe is the ONLY solution, but it is going to be far from quiet, and will not be completely stable either. Just for a point of reference, a 1.5" durso standpipe will be quiet and trouble free up to around 350 gph. (It can vary due to drain line configuration differences, etc.) Above that, noise and instability will increase with increasing flow rate. This is due to the operational characteristics of these standpipes and modifications, or gimmicks, will not change these operating characteristics.

The only option for silence is a siphon system requiring a minimum of two holes; for rock solid stability 3 holes are needed. The three hole system (Bean Animal) is not practical or recommened for tanks using corner overflows.

bellis31
01/30/2014, 06:51 PM
Although what you are stating is correct, e.g. slowing the flow will quiet things down, slowing the flow is one of the worst things you can do to a system: Most systems are not flowing enough to begin with.

For a single drain hole, the durso standpipe is the ONLY solution, but it is going to be far from quiet, and will not be completely stable either. Just for a point of reference, a 1.5" durso standpipe will be quiet and trouble free up to around 350 gph. (It can vary due to drain line configuration differences, etc.) Above that, noise and instability will increase with increasing flow rate. This is due to the operational characteristics of these standpipes and modifications, or gimmicks, will not change these operating characteristics.

The only option for silence is a siphon system requiring a minimum of two holes; for rock solid stability 3 holes are needed. The three hole system (Bean Animal) is not practical or recommened for tanks using corner overflows.

I fully understand and agree with you, sadly he only has one 1 inch pipe so not many options unless he adds another 1 inch pipe!! Although he never says what size his tank is or how many GPH his return pump is so slower flow may be ok!

jfeva0049
01/30/2014, 08:30 PM
my tank is a 90 gal with around a 30 gal sump. my return is a Sicce Syncra 3.0 Aquarium Pump, 714gph.

this is my sump;

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n574/jfeva0049/reef%20tank/DSCN2099_zps47a30f6f.jpg (http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/jfeva0049/media/reef%20tank/DSCN2099_zps47a30f6f.jpg.html)

rfgonzo
01/30/2014, 10:38 PM
I have ran Durso for the last 10 years and if done correct it is completely silent. I have no experience with bean animal or herbie and no need to try them as the Durso has performed well over the years. That's not to say the other two are bad, but if it's not broke don't fix it. The Durso I use also has 8 holes drilled about 1'' under the water line in a horizontals fashion, this helps keep noise at 0.

jfeva0049
01/31/2014, 10:34 AM
I have ran Durso for the last 10 years and if done correct it is completely silent. I have no experience with bean animal or herbie and no need to try them as the Durso has performed well over the years. That's not to say the other two are bad, but if it's not broke don't fix it. The Durso I use also has 8 holes drilled about 1'' under the water line in a horizontals fashion, this helps keep noise at 0.

so i made one last night and maybe i did not do it correctly because i found it to be a lil louder than no standpipe at all. i could not hear the water falling but i could not get rid of the air sucking sound.

mcgyvr
01/31/2014, 11:22 AM
so i made one last night and maybe i did not do it correctly because i found it to be a lil louder than no standpipe at all. i could not hear the water falling but i could not get rid of the air sucking sound.

and there you go... proof in the pudding..
A single pipe requires limiting the flow to reduce the noise.. and that noise can be in 1 form or another.. sucking/falling,etc..
And again as stated above reducing the flow is usually never a good idea.. hence a single overflow is never a good idea..

I will ONLY do/recommend 3 hole returns like the bean animal setup..

uncleof6
01/31/2014, 01:44 PM

A durso cannot be completely silent, nor can it be completely stable unless the flow rate is extremely low. You probably built it just fine, it is simply the nature of the beast. The operating characteristics (physics for the more informed) dictate the "silent" or laminar flow rate for a pipe of a given size. It is really rather simple: Once the pipe is more than 1/4 full of water, the flow becomes turbulent, the air and water mix, creating the noise and other problems associated with open channel drains (air assisted—durso, stockman, et al.) The physics are written in stone, and cannot be beat, regardless of anecdote to the contrary.

In 1.5" pipe, the flow becomes turbulent at ~ 350 gph, in 1" it is far lower, somewhere around 50 gph. As I stated before, there can be some variation, depending on ambient conditions (barometric pressure,) configuration of the drain line, number of fittings, and so forth. The variations will not be remarkable however.

If you have a 1" durso, you are in the "no win scenario." The smallest practical durso is 1.25" pipe on a 1" bulkhead.

How you wish to proceed is up to you. I am not trying to sell you on a siphon system, rather just let you know what to expect from your durso; what anyone can expect from a durso. Most folks expecations are too high. I do suggest you do some reading however, particularly "Standpipe Basics."

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

jfeva0049
01/31/2014, 01:53 PM
thanks for the info, i think i am just going to run with no standpipe at all. the sound really is no louder than my vortex mp40 pumps anyways. i can go on has i have been for years. i also dont like the thought of a back siphon overflowing my tank anyways.

uncleof6
01/31/2014, 02:30 PM
thanks for the info, i think i am just going to run with no standpipe at all. the sound really is no louder than my vortex mp40 pumps anyways. i can go on has i have been for years. i also dont like the thought of a back siphon overflowing my tank anyways.

Define "back siphon." Water flows downhill (except at Knotts Berry Farm,) not uphill. (called head pressure; e.g. outlet lower than inlet.) Only ways to overflow the tank is for the drain line to plug, or the drain capacity is too low. But that has nothing to do with standpipe design vs no standpipe at all.

jfeva0049
01/31/2014, 03:29 PM
Define "back siphon." Water flows downhill (except at Knotts Berry Farm,) not uphill. (called head pressure; e.g. outlet lower than inlet.) Only ways to overflow the tank is for the drain line to plug, or the drain capacity is too low. But that has nothing to do with standpipe design vs no standpipe at all.

yeah maybe i did not word that right. Im not fond of the idea that if for some reason the air hole on top of the durso gets pluged, that it will cause the water level to rise. at least thats my understanding of the cons of a single durso pipe.

rfgonzo
01/31/2014, 10:16 PM
If the air holes gets blocked at the top your water level will not rise it will drop, thats when you end up with the suction sound. I run 1054gph through my 1-1/2 inch durso pipe I can assure you it is 100% silent but as I said before I did do some modifications to the pipe. If I left the pipe as a standard durso it made a ton of gurgling and suction noise, but with the modifications it is silent. You will also need no water drop as it comes through your overflow keep the water even with your overflow so you don't get the waterfall sound.

Kona26
02/01/2014, 12:04 AM

I have looked at the pics of the 3 hole drain and the drains are out of the back of the tank....will it work the same way if the drains are out of the bottom of the tank..? I have tryed to read all up on the beananimal but didn't see much on that set up...I also am trying to get my flow with no noise...I have 3 drain holes but when I bought the tank used only 2 are in operation....just seeing if this beananimal set up will work with my over flow box

Syntax1325
02/01/2014, 05:02 AM
I also have a silent Durso using a 1 inch standpipe with a 3/4 inch bulkhead... Runs about 330gph. I do get the waterfall sound though ��. 29 gallon tank.

My durso was erratic and noisy until I tinkered with the hole and got it right, became quiet then.

SGT_York
02/01/2014, 01:35 PM
if you want a siphon overflow with holes drilled through the bottom or on an existing reef ready tank search for the herbie method. To the OP you need two holes for this to work.

While I'm not a fan of a durso, any standpipe should be better than no standpipe, If you tinker with the airline a bit, depth and position you should find the spot to stop the slurping. Certainly will be less than the waterfall you currently have.