PDA

View Full Version : 60g cube, basement sump

aquamanpc24
01/30/2014, 09:07 PM
Here is a question. I just picked up a 60 gallon cube from Herbie last weekend and I purchased 2 new bulkheads at the lfs we met at. After researching that the marineland 60 cube needs its overflow cut off to install new bulkheads, I started to plan my plumbing moves and decisions more carefully. I have 2 1" bulkheads installed in place and I am thinking, why not utilize both for drains! I am looking to pick up from used site a 1" sea swirl, but back to my point of thread. I am going to be plumbing this baby to my basement approx 15 feet. I have a HUUUUGE ecosystem down there, and my wife surprisingly is pushing for a display tank upstairs, which I am happy to oblige! ;) I am shooting for 950gph from the return. I really only have the ability to run a submersible pump. What pump would someone with experience recommend? I have upwards of 9 mag drives running for basement systems all happy, so I was thinking get mag 15-18 and call it a day, or would that load destroy the pump?

nikon187
01/30/2014, 11:14 PM
unfortunatly not many submersible pumps have the head height you need with the 950gph you are shooting for. External is the way to go for a basement sump sorry to say. A water blaster 16000 ( 250w ) will have barley any flow after head height. Possibley the new dc pumps but the 10500 only has a max height of 16ft. A quiet one 14000 has a 25 max head height but no idea on flow

Dashiki
01/31/2014, 07:08 AM
I have a 60 with a basement sump. I use a little wonder external pump. It works great and no additional heat added to the tank.

Not sure on exact model but iirc 4-mdq-sc I have external on both my tanks it makes plumbing addition reactors easier IMO

aquamanpc24
01/31/2014, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I was looking at the externals too, was just hoping to not have to drain my sump. Its horse troughs, so drilling isn't hard, its more of the pain of removing 150 gallons of water. I have a mag 18 I guess I could do a trial run to see what kind of pressure it will reach. For the mean time, I can test it. Good news is 2 inch drains will handle the fluctuation from 750-1200 gpg

aquamanpc24
02/03/2014, 08:51 PM
Just acquired sea swirl, need to run tank at 1000gph from 18 feet (just measured) so which iwaki or little giant pump is recommended, and then what size bulkhead is recommended?

AaronReeph
02/04/2014, 08:06 AM
I've done two basement sump setups. At 18 Feet 1000 gph you'd be looking at a Blueline HD70 (or whatever the equivalent PanWorld pump is). That's the exact pump I used on my 180. Great pump. This pump would give you 1093 GPH at 18 feet vertical with 1" plumbing.

On my 60g basement sump I only wanted about 300 gph, and I have a Blueline 40 (same as PanWorld 100PX)

The Blueline/PanWorld pumps are supposedly designed by an engineer from Iwaki. They have many similarities with the Iwaki, are at least as quiet and efficient, and are more affordable.