PDA

View Full Version : Sump question

Sevenhours
01/31/2014, 01:25 AM
Hey guys building my first marine tank and need some advice.

I got a hold of a cheap sump, however it was originally setup as a drip filter for bio cubes/balls. I took the second baffle and dropped it down so the water flows under the first into the refuge then over the next baffle into the skimmer section then under the third baffle to the return pump.

My question is will the water flow effectively through these sections or do i have to cut the third baffle and drop it so water has to flow over the top?

It also has the long section at the back that was built for 'Miracle mud'; My question here is can I use this as a cryptic zone or just an area for a DSB/low flow area with live rock? Which would be more effective?

Here's a few pictures of my tank/sump setup

http://i.imgur.com/ClccWU8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NIAsVfn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YBfHz7h.jpg

So close to getting the tank on cycle the excitement is killing me!:spin3:

thegrun
01/31/2014, 08:05 AM
I would rework the sump some more. Working left to right the first section would receive the drain, you could add a filter socks here if you choose. This first section is also where I would place the heaters. I would put the skimmer in the second section. As the sump is set up now that section will have a constant water level which is needed for a skimmer to produce foam consistently. It also places the skimmer before the refugium which should go in the third section. If you place the skimmer after the refugium the skimmer will suck up pods and detritus that flows out of the refugium. I also think it is better to skim the water before it hits the refugium. The third section would then become the refugium. I would think about adding another baffle in the third section where the water flows under the divider into the return section. This baffle would be placed at the bottom of the sump running up towards the top so the water level in the refugium is also constant; as it is set up now the water level will fluctuate with evaporation. The last section would stay as you have it, a return pump section. I would use the back section as a fresh water top off reservoir and put a bulkhead in the hole for the top off pump water to flow through.

Sevenhours
01/31/2014, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply thegrun! :)

So you wouldn't recommend using the back section for anything other then a fresh RO/DI water reservoir?

I will definitely be adding that extra baffle you talked about, i was having concerns at how the water level would look; thanks for the advice

As for the filter socks I may give them a pass, I want to try and setup a system that will require little cleaning as I have a busy work/study schedule; I've read they can fill up pretty fast and turn nasty if you aren't replacing them/cleaning them every few days.

I thought that might be the case with the skimmer, I'm going to have to take the middle baffles out and make the third section a lot bigger to fit live rock/cheto
Anything else I should be planning for in this section?
Also would using rubbing alcohol of methylated spirits cause any hard to the tank if i clean it out thoroughly? I don't like the bits of silicone smeared on the side of the tank (I'm new to using it so It's pretty messy!)

Sorry for the bombardment of questions!

thegrun
01/31/2014, 08:30 PM
The back section is a bit problematic since there would not be much flow there. You could split the drain line and dump some water in there and use it as a deep sand bed, but if you don't already have something in mind to use as a fresh water reservoir that's what I would use it for. I agree if you are not going to clean filter socks every 3-4 days you are better off without them. The rubbing alcohol is fine as long as you clean it out well afterwards with fresh water. Keep us posted with your progress, we are here to answer questions so don't be shy about asking them. It is MUCH better to ask than to make a mistake. Good luck!
-Mike

Sevenhours
02/01/2014, 08:17 AM
Alright so I followed your advice and moved the skimmer to the first section and increase the size of the second compartment for the refuge. I have another piece of glass cut to size for the second baffle in the return section and will be picking it up tomorrow, I'll post some pics when its all in place!

I think using that back section as an auto top off is a fantastic idea! thanks. I'm thinking of buying a Hydor Smart Level Control ATO and a Aleas 880lph pump, hopefully this is all I'll need to get that up and running.

I throw up a bunch more pictures when I get everything setup! should be in the next few days. excitement growing

thegrun
02/01/2014, 10:16 AM
The wait is always the most difficult part of the hobby! Looking forward to your progress.

Sevenhours
02/02/2014, 06:35 AM
Based on your advice I modified the sump :) Here's a new pic (sorry for the low light my turtle is sleeping)

http://i.imgur.com/99VRiPy.jpg

Also started a first build thread if you're interest :) http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22387674#post22387674