PDA

View Full Version : [B]Waveline 6000 for return pump[/B]

robertifly
01/31/2014, 11:08 PM
I was looking to replace the GenX-30 982.7 gph pump that I have had for years, it was a fairly loud and had gotten louder over time. A smaller footprint was important to me because even though I use it external it is inside of the cabinet. So I decided on the Gen 2 Waveline DC pump. I'll say some things are liked, others maybe not but right now I am pleased and do recommend the pumps.

Good:

1. You're going to really enjoy the noise level, yes you have to either look at the outputs and see the flow or feel of the pump for slight vibration, very slight vibration to even know if it is running.
2. You may have to buy another heater, I dropped 2*.
3. It does have variable speed control, and feed mode.
4. It will use less electricity and create less heat in the water/room.

Bad:

1. Price is a little high.
2. Plastic is a little cheap feeling but nothing as bad as the reef octopus that I sent back soon as I opened it, it felt so cheap I was afraid of it breaking just from the installation.
3. They could have included a few more connection options, only had barb fittings either 1/2" or 3/4" for the output and only 1 1/4" barb for the intake. The output side is doable ok but who drilled their sump for 1 1/4" connections? You do have male NPT threads on both intake and exit so you can pretty much adapt to whatever you want.
4. Flow loss at head, I thought I would really have to cut back on the flow using valves but not a problem, it does not move as much water @ 4 ft. head as the old GenX-30 did.