PDA

View Full Version : salinity swing and fin rot

FishN00b83
02/01/2014, 08:17 AM
apparently I've been having issues with my float switch in my sump. I noticed my six line had a little fin rot so I checked my water and got 0,0,10 nitrates (the nitrates are finally going down). I've had the six line for a year and a half and he's always been super active and healthy.

is it possible that the salinity swings I've been having can be causing the fin rot? nothing else in the tank is showing anything.

I noticed the issue with the float switch when I went to refill the ato tank and the water wasn't even half gone which is really weird. I started playing around with the float switch and it gets stuck A LOT. I took it out and sat it in vinegar for a while and it seems to be working 100% better. could this have been the problem?

the six line would be near impossible to get out and treat. I had to drain his old tank completely to get him out of the old bio cube. I can't even imagine getting him out of the 125.

oscarinw
02/01/2014, 08:55 AM
Could be. Fin rot is certainly associated with water quality management issues. It might be worth thinking of a bacterial treatment to aid the recovery and definitely a replacement on the float switch

FishN00b83
02/01/2014, 12:03 PM
yeah idk how to get him out of there. he was impossible to get out of the bio cube. I've also learned not to treat the whole tank when it comes to treatments.