PDA

View Full Version : Amount of fish in a QT

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 11:25 AM
I have a 10 gallon QT. for essence of letting the 2 fish I got relax I sacrificed a couple pieces if LR, if I have to treat with copper ill simply remove it. I got a little adolescent lawnmower blenny, and a royal gramma. Would I still in this tank be able to get my 2 fire fish I wanted to get QTed as well?

VampOfVegas
02/01/2014, 12:31 PM
I would first try your method on 2 fish instead of risking the life and money on 2 more if something goes wrong. Perfect your method first then you MIGHT be able to..but a 10g is small already. With copper they're going to stress out.. and if you add more they're going to stress. Lots of Ammonia.. they're going to stress and burn gills.

VampOfVegas
02/01/2014, 12:32 PM
for 10$ you could buy another QT or.. a 20-30g for 20-30$. Slow and steady in this hobby. We're not in freshwater any more. =)

MrTuskfish
02/01/2014, 12:52 PM
Are these new fish, or fish you already have?

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 01:37 PM
Are these new fish, or fish you already have?

The gramma and blenny I just got last night. I wanted to also get my fire fish this weekend as well as these are the first 3 I've been wanting.

jcdeng
02/01/2014, 01:46 PM
How long did u set up the QT and were there any prior fish? If its a new QT then u are pushing it even with 2 fish. You need an established tank and good bacteria in it to house fish, even for a QT.

If its indeed new you can seed it with bio-spira or Dr Tim's one and only (if your LFS carries it)

oscarinw
02/01/2014, 01:53 PM
Everything is relative... I had 8 fish in my 30 gal QT when I was treating them with Copper. I did however, sacrifice a couple of big pieces of live rock to make sure I had the bio filtration I needed... Spacewise, your issues are more going to be about them getting along among each other more so than the space as long as you ensure the water is good... IMO

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 01:56 PM
How long did u set up the QT and were there any prior fish? If its a new QT then u are pushing it even with 2 fish. You need an established tank and good bacteria in it to house fish, even for a QT.

If its indeed new you can seed it with bio-spira or Dr Tim's one and only (if your LFS carries it)

The QT tank went through an entire month long cycle, a couple pieces of LR for extra filtration and relaxation. Spiked the ammonia very high with some trout. And let it do its thing, handles ammonia very quick tested that 3 days in a row.

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 01:57 PM
Everything is relative... I had 8 fish in my 30 gal QT when I was treating them with Copper. I did however, sacrifice a couple of big pieces of live rock to make sure I had the bio filtration I needed... Spacewise, your issues are more going to be about them getting along among each other more so than the space as long as you ensure the water is good... IMO

There are 2 pieces of rock in there as well as some good size PVC pipes and 90's for hiding while they get used to a new place.

jcdeng
02/01/2014, 01:58 PM
In that case I think you are fine, just put some pvc pipes in it so the fire fishes can hide.

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 02:24 PM
In that case I think you are fine, just put some pvc pipes in it so the fire fishes can hide.

Already done, also just got a seachem 1 year ammonia meter.

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 05:03 PM
Ok after more reading and talking to a Lfs I pulled the trigger and got two fire fish, they're already eating and I'm acclimating now. Also in reference to my QT here's a pic http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/02/zeqa8edu.jpg

Sk8r
02/01/2014, 05:21 PM
If you add more fish you have to start the 4 week clock completely over. It's 4 weeks from the last fish added. YOu could do it,--- but honestly, I'd wait on the firefish: they're exceedingly spooky and jump prone, and they get that way particularly if they feel crowded. you'll need to fit a very good jump guard over that qt when you have them in there, or they could both end up on the floor. Both the blenny and the gramma can get a little pushy if THEY feel crowded. Life is long and so is this hobby: just take your time and enjoy each fish in its own time.

jcdeng
02/01/2014, 05:25 PM
+1 on cover. Use egg crate and cut it to fit the top of the 10g completely, especially the edges and around your equipment. Then get some window mesh from homedepot and cut to the same size as the egg crate and zip tie that to the egg crate along all the edges.

CoralReeForrest
02/01/2014, 06:20 PM
If you add more fish you have to start the 4 week clock completely over. It's 4 weeks from the last fish added. YOu could do it,--- but honestly, I'd wait on the firefish: they're exceedingly spooky and jump prone, and they get that way particularly if they feel crowded. you'll need to fit a very good jump guard over that qt when you have them in there, or they could both end up on the floor. Both the blenny and the gramma can get a little pushy if THEY feel crowded. Life is long and so is this hobby: just take your time and enjoy each fish in its own time.

Thank you as always sk8r. I supposed I should have mentioned the QT has a lid it was an all in one. The clock starts today seeing as I got the others last night. Everyone is eating, the blenny already seemed as happy as could be pecking at stuff, the gramma was getting a little braver as well. Put some mysis in there for them to munch on. The fire fish were already eating which is great. Plenty of hiding spots in there. Currently I have a towel in front and on the sides so they can just relax and get used to each other.

MrTuskfish
02/02/2014, 11:20 AM
Keeping 3-4 fish in a 10 gal QT in an emergency is one thing. When you have a choice, its a sign that you're rushing thing, one of the best ways to ruin the hobby. Maybe they'll do just fine; but by rushing things, you are not giving your fish the best care possible/practical. That should always be our primary concern.

ca1ore
02/02/2014, 11:56 AM
I agree. Only reasons IMO to have more than just a couple of fish in QT concurrently are if you are attempting to introduce a small group of the same fish at the same time or if you are forced to improvise in the event of a disease problem in the main display. I recently ran a quartet of butterflyfish in a 20L at he same time but that's about as far as I'd ever go.

CoralReeForrest
02/02/2014, 01:07 PM
Got it. Lesson learned! I may set up another tank for another QT since I have some old HOB filters that came with my tank when I got it. But from now on no more then a couple! However they all seem to be doing good the two firefish are hanging together the blenny was eating and the gramma was actually out swimming around until I walked up lol she sure is shy!