PDA

View Full Version : help!!! pods / shrimp nuked!!!

geckoejon
02/01/2014, 02:59 PM
i got some frags last night. i got a welsi, acan, paly, and chalice. i used the same procedure for dipping that i have done several times before. i dipped them in bayer, rinsed in r/o, coral rx, rinsed in r/o, then placed directly into the tank. decided to pass on quarantine this time.

i came home a couple hours later, and my shrimp is barely alive and half my pods are either laying on the sand or swimming erratically. crap!!! fish, snails, and coral look fine.

it's on my 29g. i performed a 10g wc right away. debating on doing another 10g.

any idea what could cause the pods and shrimp to get plastered?!?! could a coral retain some of the dip and spewed it back out? maybe something on my arms when i reached in to place them? could one of those new corals nuke them somehow?!?!

any ideas on how to help them recover?

thoughts?

i just picked up a couple emerald crabs. i supposed i should wait on putting them in, huh?

the only bright side of this is that my fish all have extremely fat bellies and the coral chowing on pods. lol

hogfanreefer
02/01/2014, 03:55 PM
Have you added that many corals at once before. Each coral is going to take a little of the insecticide with it even with rinsing. Don't know what else could have caused it other than the dip.

geckoejon
02/01/2014, 09:49 PM
yes, i added a couple scolys and a trach all at the same time after using the same dipping procedure. they have a much larger mass then the frags i added this morning.

on the bright side, i performed a 20g wc earlier. i just got back. there are a couple dozen dead pods on the sand. i still see plenty live pods swimming and crawling! yeah! lol the shrimp even looks much better. it is hanging upside down on some chaeto in the fuge and scooting all over the place.

still not sure what caused that reaction. maybe the dip... maybe something that i had on my arm when i reached in??? maybe a coral having a reaction? don't know....