PDA

View Full Version : Softie Challenge

tiffyreefer
02/02/2014, 08:25 AM
As I take a first look at Hallzoo's tank, I can say that Hallzoo has inspired me!

I am currently in the build process of a 120 gallon setup. In my planning and dreaming stages I've had the common dream of a rainbow of SPS colonies in the years to come. I have always kept SPS, as I love the challenge of getting my parameters just right to have healthy, thriving colonies.

But......

For this build, I can't shake the urge to give myself a different challenge: Creating a flowing, colorful, balanced softie system. I can say from experience, and with respect to all SPS lovers out there, me included, that its fairly aesthetically easy to pick out colorful SPS, speckle them around, and create beauty as the years go by.

I want to challenge myself to create a beautiful minimalist system that is well thought out and color balanced.

Are there any softie die hards that have had success with SPS, loved the look, but can't shake the urge to create beautiful soft coral systems? Maybe its the years in the hobby, and a need for change, but I can't wait to do this build for everyone to see!!!! :rollface:

Potsy
02/04/2014, 04:52 PM
While I've always liked sps, and have kept a variety of montipora, hardier acros, and stylophora, I prefer a tank filled with leathers, mushrooms, zoanthids, and gorgonians. The movement is stunning and the purples, pinks, greens, and yellows, while not as intense as sps colors, are nonetheless attractive. I feel it's important to avoid a tank filled with drab brown/grayish leathers, and so I've opted for green sinularia, pink sinularia, yellow Fiji sarcophyton, purple, yellow, and rusty-orange gorgonians along with zoanthids and ricordea to fill out the rest.

I also think that sps only tanks are aesthetically better suited to larger tanks that can support a vibrant, active fish load that provides movement. Smaller sps tanks which cannot provide enough volume for active fish are too static for my tastes.

elmatth1
02/04/2014, 11:25 PM
Tiffyreefer, that is exactly what I am in the planning stages of right now with a 75 gallon I just picked up this past weekend. It's funny you should mention hallzoo's tank as your inspiration, because it was mine as well!

tiffyreefer
02/06/2014, 01:34 PM
Glad to hear that you guys feel the same way. I know it's a stereotype that softies are for beginners, and then when you know what you're doing, move to SPS. Been there, done that, I want some movement!!! Plus I think my young son would be more engaged with the tank if the movement was there. Potsy, where did you acquire pink sinularia???

Potsy
02/07/2014, 03:35 PM
Glad to hear that you guys feel the same way. I know it's a stereotype that softies are for beginners, and then when you know what you're doing, move to SPS. Been there, done that, I want some movement!!! Plus I think my young son would be more engaged with the tank if the movement was there. Potsy, where did you acquire pink sinularia???

I got it at a lfs close to home. It's more of a salmon than a true pink. There are some colt corals out there that are truly pink. It's hard to beat a large sinularia when it comes to movement.

rogersb
02/07/2014, 06:47 PM
I think you're going to have the best luck in getting color with mushrooms. I have a couple green hairy mushrooms that look nice and get around 4-5" and have nice movement. Ricordea will also look great and can be had cheap if you do a bulk order.

tiffyreefer
02/08/2014, 05:35 AM
I plan on having a lot of the blue mushrooms, as well as green. I'm hoping to pick up one of those purple photosynthetic gorgonians as well. It's going to be a fun challenge.

justinky
02/10/2014, 09:43 AM
I am treating my SW tank like a FW planted tank aquascape. All I am looking at when I am creating my aquascape is how the finished product will look, not how hard it is to take care of or how people look at the corals in general. Which I believe is what everyone in the SW hobby should do in the first place, to be honest most SPS dominated tanks just don't look that great in my opinion. But don't get me wrong there are some cool SPS, I just wouldn't do a dominated tank with them.

tiffyreefer
02/11/2014, 04:42 AM
I loved my SPS, but the movement of macro algae and softies is awesome.

Browndawg80
02/16/2014, 08:17 AM
Where can I view hallzoos tank? I'm doing the same thing with my new setup and I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

albano
02/16/2014, 08:30 AM
There are some colt corals out there that are truly pink.
I'd be careful with those...
The 'truly pink' colts that I have seen, are dyed... same as the 'truly yellow' ones!

trinidiver
02/16/2014, 08:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B391RZHcFRw

albano
02/16/2014, 08:46 AM
sorry for iPhone video. but you'll get the idea

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NlX5EDwch_0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

tiffyreefer
02/20/2014, 12:32 PM
I think most color in soft tanks can be obtained by mats of zoas, as well as a well placed clam and maybe a yellow leather. Gorgonians and sponges too!!!

justinky
02/20/2014, 01:16 PM
I think most color in soft tanks can be obtained by mats of zoas, as well as a well placed clam and maybe a yellow leather. Gorgonians and sponges too!!!

You're forgetting about pipe organs. Probably one of the most under appreciated corals I have seen in the hobby. I am doing a mainly pipe organ tank, it will be awesome once it's finished :).

Potsy
02/20/2014, 03:11 PM
I'd be careful with those...
The 'truly pink' colts that I have seen, are dyed... same as the 'truly yellow' ones!

Very true... I should've written pastel pink. The shorter stalked colts tend toward that hue.

tiffyreefer
02/20/2014, 04:50 PM
Anyone have the pipe organs from vivid aquariums?? They look gorgeous. I do love the pipe organs, they give the look of GSP without the hassle :)