PDA

View Full Version : new large tank recommendations

prickles
02/02/2014, 11:11 AM
Hello,

I need to either repair or replace my 300g tank. It is failing. It is a lee mar i had built and bought new about 4.5 years ago. I emailed lee mar to see what they say, but I don't know if I want to go with them again if the last one failed in what I consider a short period of time.

I have several questions:

1) If going 300g or bigger should I go with glass, acrylic, or hybrid? I have starfire right now and really like it. I generally don't like how acrylic looks. I don't like the weight of the glass for installation purposes however. I will probably do a closed loop.

2) what manufacturer would you recommend for the above choices and why? Also what is the price/quality tradeoff? I'm not sure I want to pay 3x the price for slightly better.

3) I'm toying with the idea of a 10'x3' footprint, what would be a good height to look right?

thanks!

jt48
02/03/2014, 02:11 AM
A 10x3 footprint will be very heavy requiring structural support either way you go (unless of course its on concrete floor so i wouldnt dismiss glass because of weight. I hated my Acryllic tank because i scratched it so easily but i would consider acryllic in future ( but would go bare bottom and not use magnet cleaners). I think a 10'x3'x27" glass eurobrace with external overflow would be awesome. Those measurements are like the DD tanks (36 wide 27 high) and give u a even 500 gallons. I would order from Miracles in Glass.

prickles
02/03/2014, 09:07 AM
It will be on concrete, but I guess I have to consult an engineer to see if the concrete will be strong enough. It's probably a 3-4" slab underneath.

any input on heights for a 10' tank? I know there's the inconvenience of getting to the bottom of high ones, but I use a reach tool with my current tank and am used to it. What I don't like is the long narrow look of the 10x2's.

also any other manufacturers I should check out?

thanks!

jt48
02/03/2014, 09:23 AM
27 will give u an even 500 gallons and at 10 not too short, same as the deep dimension tanks and not too tall to make reaching too difficult. My 8 footer is only 23 high and its very easy reaching bottom but....i also like deep tanks. Deeper being 30-36 adds alot more volume and opens up alot more aquascaping features but...can be a pia to work/clean. I used to have a 32" high and although it was cool looking, i hated getting to bottom.

At last years macna? Reef savy had there low profile overflows. I really like that feature.
Good luck