PDA

View Full Version : hermit ditched its shell

dmh41532
02/02/2014, 06:56 PM
Just curious, how long could a hermit live without its shell? one of my hermits ditched the shell.

jmowbray
02/02/2014, 07:25 PM
First question do you have any larger shells for him? Chances are he ditched it because it's to small for him now. To answer your question it depends if there are predators in the tank. If you have a tank with only one hermit the answer would be a while. even if you had just hermits the answer would be not long. Hermits can and will gang up on each other especially one that doesn't have a shell to protect himself.

eb2292
02/02/2014, 07:35 PM
Bought a batch of hermits last night and I noticed a couple of them did the same, then ran right into the rocks..

Having a supply of extra shells should increase their longevity.

dmh41532
02/02/2014, 07:39 PM
yes, I have plenty of shells that it can change into. after It lost the shell, it went deep into the rockwork. I have one other hermit

dmh41532
02/02/2014, 08:56 PM
at first, I thought it was molting, but I noticed the short time it was without a shell that its movement seemed odd, it doesn't seem to have the strength to move, or even grip the rocks. it seems to be dead, or rather almost dead, the other hermit has it pinned in a crevice I can't reach to get it out.