PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI unit good?

Slotz00
02/02/2014, 09:27 PM
Can I get some thoughts on this unit? Getting the meter would add $30 more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUARIUM-CORAL-REEF-RO-2-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-PURE-WATER-FILTRATION-SYSTEM-RD102-/200653584356

Thanks,
Scott

patsfan1130
02/02/2014, 10:16 PM
It might be ok - They are a bit vague on the filters they use - For piece of mind I would go with something with NSF certified filters..Such as this...http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

For $35 more I think it's worth it knowing what you are getting.

azjohnny
02/02/2014, 11:42 PM
I would stay away from Water General, My first RO/DI was one and it was a TPOS!, IMO the best bang for buck is the Spectrapure Refurbished 4 stage for $129

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System

Pay attention to the micron size of the replacement filters ( the smaller the better)

Slotz00
02/03/2014, 05:42 AM
The more I read about it the more I see that the two carbon block filters are 10 micron each on the Water General. BRS is 2.5 and .6. The SP is only a 4 stage system with a 1 micron carbon filter. Should I be concerned with a 4 stage over a 5 stage? The WG is a 6 stage which is very likely overkill. I was thinking of seeing if I could remove one of the DI filters and using as a replacement.

Other info. Sed filter: WG 5 micron, BRS 5 micron, SP 1 micron

Thanks for the info guys.

Scott

shifty51008
02/03/2014, 05:48 AM
you really only need 1 carbon filter, 1 sediment filter, a membrane and a di stage. no need for any more filters than that. usually when they market a 6 stage filter is is just a gimmick to think your getting a better deal.

also as for the di filters on the water general you will only be using half the DI with the way they mount them the water will never pass the upper part of the di.

Guygettnby
02/03/2014, 09:04 AM
you really only need 1 carbon filter, 1 sediment filter, a membrane and a di stage. no need for any more filters than that. usually when they market a 6 stage filter is is just a gimmick to think your getting a better deal.

also as for the di filters on the water general you will only be using half the DI with the way they mount them the water will never pass the upper part of the di.

Not always true. Where i live, i have found that i am in need of multiple fillters. if i do not have a 6 stage RODI setup then i have a TDS reading higher then i would like and my membrane doesnt last as long. my RODI is set up as follows

1: 5 micron sediment
2: Carbon
3: Carbon/Sediment
4: Membrane
5: DI resin
6: BRS add on DI filter

i have even tried adding another inline sediment/carbon filter before, But it really made no difference and slowed water pressure more. So i ditched it.

I do how ever agree that most of the ebay RODI units will work, but the filters are usally low end junk and do not last long. I have even had them brake down and clog up other filters or my membrane. I have on the other hand used Ebay RODI units in the past and they worked great for years. the filters worked perfectly fine and lasted about the normal amount of time. but this was years ago and the vendor i used to buy from is no longer around.

Lastly, the DI set up they use will work, But it is not ideal. It is true that usually only half of the resin is actually used.

I do highly recomend looking in to BRS for your RODI unit and their DI add on kit works really well IMHO.

azjohnny
02/03/2014, 12:13 PM
Not always true. Where i live, i have found that i am in need of multiple fillters. if i do not have a 6 stage RODI setup then i have a TDS reading higher then i would like and my membrane doesnt last as long. my RODI is set up as follows

1: 5 micron sediment
2: Carbon
3: Carbon/Sediment
4: Membrane
5: DI resin
6: BRS add on DI filter

i have even tried adding another inline sediment/carbon filter before, But it really made no difference and slowed water pressure more. So i ditched it.

I do how ever agree that most of the ebay RODI units will work, but the filters are usally low end junk and do not last long. I have even had them brake down and clog up other filters or my membrane. I have on the other hand used Ebay RODI units in the past and they worked great for years. the filters worked perfectly fine and lasted about the normal amount of time. but this was years ago and the vendor i used to buy from is no longer around.

Lastly, the DI set up they use will work, But it is not ideal. It is true that usually only half of the resin is actually used.

I do highly recomend looking in to BRS for your RODI unit and their DI add on kit works really well IMHO.

FYI The sediment and carbon filters do nothing for TDS, that's mostly the membrane and to a smaller degree the DI.

5 micron is a poor size for a sediment filter, use nothing larger than .5 and not larger than the carbon filter or the carbon filter will act as a sediment filter

Here is a page from the Reef Central that has some good stickies
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229

IMO the only 2 companies I would buy a system from is Spectrapure and Buckeye Hydro