PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect placement of baffles, will this cause issues?

Texanjordan
02/03/2014, 08:29 AM
Good morning, I had a 55 gallon aquarium cusom made into a refugium/sump. When I moved cross country said aquarium got smashed. I was able to rescue the three baffles that were custom sized for me. I have a 6 inch baffle and two 9 inch baffles. The six inch baffle is the first one and was sized to match the recommended skimmer height for my SRO Skimmer, and then the other two 9 inch baffles came after that. I realized the other day that when I re installed the baffles I accidentally installed them 9, 9, and 6 inch on the return pump section, instead of 6, 9, 9 which was the way it is supposed to be. The last baffle section, the 6 inch one, puts the water level only about 1.5 inches heigher then the return pump. Since then, I have raised my skimmer by 3 inches using acrylic glass and some pvc creating a stand. Will this setup be problematic? I have an ATO hooked to a 10 gall, I also have a Kalk stirrer which will be adding saturated kalk throughout the day on a timer.

julie180
02/03/2014, 08:36 AM
1.5" of water is going to be a real pain. What if your ato goes dry. Nothing is fool proof. I would suggest getting a piece of glass, acrylic and attaching to the baffle to make it taller.