PDA

View Full Version : HELP mE save ChaLICE !!!! Please

Every1jockzjay
02/03/2014, 09:40 AM
Ok so my coral guy threw in this half dead looking chalice for 5$....its ultra nice i think he said hawiian punch or rainbow something chalice...problem is the flesh on top is hAlf healthy and the other half pretty much dead...the healthy half glows beautifully under actinics and the other half not even a shimmer....the pics didnt come to well i will take more..i am by no means qualified to frag anything my tank just started growing corraline and keeping most corals nice and healthy, i do alot of research but im no expert...if the chalice depended on it i would grab a scalpel or rAzor and cut the deAd part off but would like some advice....shouls i leave it or cut it?

Every1jockzjay
02/03/2014, 09:41 AM
See under actinic the live part glows and the rest doesnt lol

Tank boy
02/03/2014, 09:51 AM
I would get some medi coral, it's from bright well aquatics. They should usually carry it in your local pet supplies plus if they carry saltwater fish. Dip it for a few minutes, then set the chalice low in your tank. If the chalice becomes healthy enough it will grow over the dead part.

Every1jockzjay
02/03/2014, 09:58 AM
Yea im actually having a slight lighting issue i think my leds are way to strong i guess ill try to keep this guy in a shady area and look into buying that stuff...it really is nice i would love to save it

MechEng99
02/03/2014, 06:36 PM
Here's a whole thread on how to save corals like yours:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918483

Your coral doesn't look bad at all. You could cut off the dead skeleton (IME, corals grow faster when they aren't trying to regrow over an old skeleton), but don't do it unless you feel completely comfortable with it. Start it off in low flow, low light. Did you dip it? Have you tried to feed it yet?