PDA

View Full Version : y0ung0ne anemone questions

worm5406
02/03/2014, 03:01 PM
OK so lets start here.

You said a 90 gallon tank?

What flow and other inhabitants are in there?
What type lighting?
What is the temp?
Do you dose? alk mg calc?

What type/age rock do you have?

What type fish have you lost (if any)?

y0ung0ne
02/04/2014, 08:00 AM
Ok so it is a 90 gallon wave front tank. I run 240w leds on the tank that run a sunrise to sunset model. The tank is 3 years old with a upgrade at about a year and a half. it is a mixture of marco dry rock and base rock I had gotten when i bought the 90 gallon. I have three ph and a hob filter with a canister filter and a oversized skimmer. All together is pushing around 1800 gph. temp sits at 78 degrees I do not dose anything i just do water changes every two weeks at about 10 gallons at a time. I have snails and hermit crabs I have a small hippo tang, two occ clowns, a ywg and pistol shrimp, sixline wrasse and a lamarck angel, 2 green chromis I rescued and 2 bangaii cardinals. 2 lrg feather dusters, 100+ mini feather dusters, lps and sps, mushrooms, three RBTA. I think that answers everything I will try tonight and get some pictures up so that everyone can get a look at the tank and my idea to possibly get a mag anemone. if anyone has questions please feel free to ask.

y0ung0ne
02/04/2014, 08:02 AM
As far as fish lost I have lost a powder brown tang due to carpet surfing and a lawnmower blenny for the same I had a tail spot blenny that disappeared after 2 years. I have lost a GBTA and a carpet that i tried to save due to a friend moving and shutting down his tank where i recieved the lawnmower blenny and the green chromis from as well.

y0ung0ne
02/04/2014, 08:07 AM
So I am looking to get a Mag and place it to the far left of my tank build up a pedestal for it so it can get what it needs I know I will probably have to rearrange some coral which I am fine with and possibly add a few more pieces of lr to the tank to get the pedestal. which I know will be time which I am fine with so everything is right if and when I get one unless others think it would not be wise I am new to anemones so I do not want to get something I will not be able to take care of.

y0ung0ne
02/10/2014, 07:35 AM
So I built up a perch in the tank and letting that works it way in the tank since it is another 10lbs of lr. Once I am good with it and where it is at I will look in to getting a mag if I can find a healthy speciman to take care of. Has anyone had RBTA with Mag and do they do well with each other?

worm5406
02/10/2014, 08:06 AM
How old is this rock?
How long has it cycled/cured?
What type rock is it?

Do you have any pictures of your pedestal?

y0ung0ne
02/11/2014, 09:09 AM
Let me correct my self it was dry rock I soaked and tested the water to see if anythign leeched out I had this rock sitting in the garage i had ordered and had not done anything with it, with no change in the water then added it to my tank. I will get a picture tonight and post for you you can see the pedastel because it is white. I will let you know my plan is to let this build in the tank for a while before I even start looking in to a mag and find a good place to get one as well. Worm I am looking in to quantum like you said have not driven out there yet since I want to get everything in the tank straight first.

worm5406
02/11/2014, 10:58 AM
Well tell me when you are going and I will meet you.

I am about 25 miles south of DC, on Maryland side of Potomac River. So I can meet you out there.

OK on the rock.

y0ung0ne
02/11/2014, 12:05 PM
Will do I will get some pics up tonight been busy and appreciate the help on this.

worm5406
02/11/2014, 02:54 PM
Hey not a problem... BTW.. I just got a hit on a GIG that I might be getting tomorrow, before the storm, over in VA.

Make sure that the edges are far away from touching on that perch too.

Otherwise someone will play spiderman and climb the wall.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 07:34 AM
Nice let me know if you get it. I like the look of a gig but worry about my fish. the perch sits on the left side in the middle might need to rescape it to make sure it can not get to the walls.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 07:42 AM
Here is a frontal of a fts Worm let me know what you think if that will work it is in the middle of the tank for the perch I would like it to rest on.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 07:43 AM
will try and get more pics up today when I get home with some side views. Let me know what you think and if it will work.

worm5406
02/12/2014, 08:18 AM
It does not look bad. I think it will work as long as it is kept to the left, That is that wider wave part correct?

What size are you looking at getting. I would be careful with the abnormal size of the tank and make sure it does not touch an odd ball edge.

So far I think it will work, again all depending on the size of it.

I will keep everyone up to date when I get it.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 09:42 AM
Yeah it is the wider side which is the only reason I am thinking about it. I would like to get a smaller medium size one nothing super large so it can grow in my tank and I can move things around if need be in the tank to make it work as well. What would you recommend getting?

worm5406
02/12/2014, 09:56 AM
Measure the distance, in that area, and see what the closest distance is between 2 sides, not close to a corner. Also see what the largest size is.

This is a factor because when we get anemones and they say they are 8" they do not always come that way because thy have not relaxed all the way yet. LOL

So you need to keep that in mind along with growth potential.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 11:32 AM
Worm will do I will measure the space tonight and let you know. How large is your Mag?

worm5406
02/12/2014, 01:38 PM
My mag is about 18 inches across. When it is all sprawled out.

y0ung0ne
02/12/2014, 07:01 PM
ok full length across is 19.5 inches to glass. I have 6 in in the front to the perch and in the back is about 5 in from the side I have 6 in to the perch. as currently setup I can rearrange a few rocks to change this if need to. I have attached some pics to help.

worm5406
02/12/2014, 11:01 PM
OK That is not to bad at all.

You can get a small one and it will have plenty of room to stretch. By the time it gets to a medium size you should be ready for an upgrade. GRANTED if you feed it often enoug it will grow fast. LOL

y0ung0ne
02/13/2014, 04:02 PM
That's what I am thinking I did some rock work and I have opened it up a little bit more so it will have room. so I will look for a small one and then let it grow how often should you feed it my rbta I don't feed at all every once in a while it just gets what I feed the tank.

worm5406
02/13/2014, 08:56 PM
Sorry been a bit busy for last few hours dealing with a new mag and cleanup. PLUS it is snowing.. I don't know if you know or not.

SO.... MOST anemones cam live strictly off of sunlight (our light we give it). I feed my BTA one a week. I feed the Haddoni and the Ritteri once every 4 days.

Yeah I bumped it up... used to feed once a week but my Ritteri shrank some.. So I Increased the feeding.. It should be happier in a week or so.

y0ung0ne
02/16/2014, 12:58 PM
It is totally understandable I think I am going to maybe go tomorrow to quantum and check them out I will let you know if it is a definite or not later tonight.

worm5406
02/16/2014, 01:23 PM
OK I just got back from the shooting range with two of my boys. We have been up since early.. LOL..

I think a Sunday Afternoon nap in in the picture.

Then I am going to make breakfast for dinner. LOL... Havent done that in like forever.

y0ung0ne
02/17/2014, 07:10 PM
sorry worm things came up so was unable to get back on and was not able to go today I think I will schedule that for another weekend also letting the rock get some color on it while I wait. Hope you got your nap in and had fun at the shooting range cant wait to get my boys in to it

worm5406
02/18/2014, 10:57 PM
I did. LOL

ALSO!!!! (and anyone else reading this)

I am going to quantum after work on Wednesday (tomorrow 2/19). I should be there about 6-7pm ish. Stay for about an hour.

y0ung0ne
02/21/2014, 08:50 PM
Ok worm so I went to one of the lfs and they did not have any mags but they did have a gig.........so I am trying to think if I can make a gig work I know it is a gig because of the spots on the underside since you have both what information can you give me?

worm5406
02/22/2014, 12:31 AM
Well a Gig is going to be one of the hardest to keep. Honestly saying.

The issue I have, with dealing with the gig, is having the canister filter.

You have dealt with the canister filter for quite a while and you know what to do and not to do. The bigest problem with canister is the build up of detrius and basically a nitrate factory. This constant flux, cleaning out every XXX days/weeks, causes a lot of flux. Even in the bacteria that is growing on the media in it.

Frankly before you move to a gig I would upgrade your filtration to a sump, does not have to be large, then move forward.

While some people say that a canister is a mini sump, it is in the eyes of the beholder. A canister can have more surface area than a comparable sump could hands down, but in the long run one flush of the media and a mini cycle starts.

Just my two cents on the issue.

y0ung0ne
02/22/2014, 04:50 PM
I appreciate the knowledge on this never thought of the canister like that, and then I wont get it then not fair to the animal in my eyes so a mag tolerates them better? knew I could ask you and get a solid answer it was nice was 89 and about 8 in all wavy across at the lfs.

worm5406
02/22/2014, 05:23 PM
Not that it tolerates them better, but as you go up in anemones, they are more forgiving.

Long run, upgrade that sump to even a 10 gal sump, would beat the 5gal canister filter.

taylor t
02/22/2014, 07:25 PM
sorry... wrong post

DarthNater
02/22/2014, 08:49 PM
worm I am wondering what you might think about this. I have been thinking about making one of these for when I start a tank. do you think it would it help y0ung0ne?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420

worm5406
02/23/2014, 01:26 PM
Well that is an ATS.

Pesonally I have an ATS and like mine but it is not there to replace a canister filter.

For an ATS he would need a sump anyway to let it flow back into, the bacteria inside the canister is his MAIN filtration unit. He would have to run both for a bit to get the bacteria switched / increased in the sump before turning them off.

The ATS would not help in that effort.

y0ung0ne
02/24/2014, 01:40 PM
I have thought about a sump but the tank I have is not rr and I worry about the wonder over flow have done it once when i tried back on the 45 gallon I had. Wife was not a happy camper lol. But that is the nature I was looking in to the automated ones that pull the water with a pump instead of suction. I have also thought about just pulling the canister all together and going sumpless but not sure on that one either many things to think about...

worm5406
02/24/2014, 02:38 PM
There are options that would be beneficial to help you in doing this.

There are overflow boxes that pull the water, and still leave it at the right height, as to not drain the entire tank.
https://www.google.com/search?q=external+overflow+aquarium&oq=external+overflow+aquarium&aqs=chrome..69i57.5072j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Look at that link. They range in pricing and companies. PLUS there are some supporters on here that also sell them.

y0ung0ne
02/26/2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks Worm I will look in to these

y0ung0ne
09/09/2014, 08:37 AM
Well I found one and have had it for a little over a few weeks so far so good. When I found it in the store it was a little deflated and mouth a little open. I took it home since I could not beat the price of 45.00. I drip aclimated it for 2hours then placed it in a the hospital tank looked good for ten days in the hospital tank treated with anti bacterial medicine to help it since i have heard all the scary stories. After day 11 I placed in my display tank in the bottom corner of my tank to not light shock him. Clown fish jumped right in he has slowly started climbing up the rock tower i built for it. Almost to the top of it now. What does everyone think?

y0ung0ne
09/10/2014, 06:20 AM
So still doing good has moved totally up to the top of the pillar. so far has not moved otherwise mouth still looks great there are a few tentacles that deflate while it is curved up in the wrinkles but other than that the tentacles are splitting and making more so I am hoping this keeps up. Any inputs would greatly be appreciated.

RJT
09/11/2014, 05:32 AM
I'm not any help with this topic. Just wanted to say it looks great. What are you feeding him?

y0ung0ne
09/11/2014, 11:10 AM
thanks for the post was beginning to think no one was reading it so far have been feeding it shrimp every 4 to 5 days and than whatever it catches when I feed the tank. it has been doing great I will try and get a few more pics today and post them.

y0ung0ne
09/12/2014, 09:49 AM
some more photos

Seths Dad
09/12/2014, 10:34 AM
Sweet....did you end up going with a sump and overflow box?

y0ung0ne
09/12/2014, 11:29 AM
No I actually have just removed the canister out of the picture doing more water changes and an over powered skimmer so far everything looks good.

worm5406
10/08/2014, 12:55 PM
Nice... any more updates??