PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Protein Skimmer Need Help

MSUschmidt
02/03/2014, 08:43 PM
I had a tank years ago, had a party, someone dumped beer in the tank. Took a 13 year break, but am back at it again.

I just started my cycle a week ago with 80+ pounds Live Rock in a 75 Gallon tank. My sump is all set up, everythings running properly, 2 wavemakers giving me great flow, salinity yadda yadda is looking good. Gonna let it sit a month before I even check the levels.

Tonight I pulled out My old Skimmers. I had one for a 125 Tank, and another smaller one for the 75. The large one is a CPR SR 91, and the smaller one is just some el cheapo. Line in the bottom, collection tray on the top, line out, and a set screw to adjust it.

I was using a Rio 2100 Powerhead, and no matter what I did on either skimmer, it seems I'm just not getting enough bubbles generated. I messed with the adjust screw, I added an air line to the powerhead, It just didn't appear that I was getting a strong enough cyclone of bubbles to produce the skimate needed.

I don't remember what it's suppoused to look like, so I don't know if I need a stronger powerhead or what?

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

Reefmedic79
02/03/2014, 10:06 PM
Is the airline open, or is an air pump blowing into the inlet?

How old is the pump? 13 y/o?

How long did you let it run before coming to the conclusion that it may not be producing enough bubbles?

Pife
02/03/2014, 10:17 PM
I'd buy a new skimmer. Things have changed in 13 years.